Aquila Red series...Take two.

hammer40

Reaction score
I recently posted about my trial of the Aquila Red series string set. It very quickly ended with a snapped A string, similar to what I have heard and read about them previously.

Well, Mimmo from Aquila contacted me and offered to replace the string sets that broke on me. A generous offer I thought. Since I did really like the sound of the string set, I thought I would try again.

This time I thought I would try them out on my Boat Paddle, last time I tried them on my Compass Rose. The boat has that nifty pin bridge, so no nut slots to possibly cause an issue. Not that they broke at the nut on the CR anyway. They snapped somewhere at or past the saddle on the CR.

Well, so far so good, no issues! I have to say they do sound great on the BP as well. I really am liking these strings a lot. The copper infused Nylgut seems to embody the bright, clearer tone of carbon strings, nice volume and sustain as well. Yet they still have the sweet, warm, and rounder characteristics of nylon strings. Not to mention, the deep red color goes great with the Cocobolo back and sides.

They only thing I can think of that possibly caused an issue on the CR is the slotted bridge that they use. You just knot the string and slide it through the slot. Not that it should matter, no other strings have ever snapped on it. I checked the slot and it appears to be very smooth. I might try and slide a small file or sandpaper through it just to be sure though.

Anyway, I just wanted to give an update on my experience with these strings. I hope they really have corrected there issues, I would like to continue using them.

Did it break right at the knot? In the middle, or right where it turns the 90 degree coming out of the slot at the saddle?

I wonder if it's breaking because of a crushing force in the knot. If so, you might get around it by using a different kind of knot than a regular overhand, or possibly a bead.

Spectra/dyneema had that problem. Very strong tensile strength, but if you knot it, the crushing of the knot would weaken and break there.

I've never broken an Aquila red, but all my bridges are tie.

I wonder if something like a figure 8 loop knot would help. It puts 2 layers of string in the cinch, so there's less crushing.

figure_8_loop_knot.jpg

Did it break right at the knot? In the middle, or right where it turns the 90 degree coming out of the slot at the saddle?

I wonder if it's breaking because of a crushing force in the knot. If so, you might get around it by using a different kind of knot than a regular overhand, or possibly a bead.

Spectra/dyneema had that problem. Very strong tensile strength, but if you knot it, the crushing of the knot would weaken and break there.

I've never broken an Aquila red, but all my bridges are tie.

I wonder if something like a figure 8 loop knot would help. It puts 2 layers of string in the cinch, so there's less crushing.

View attachment 83211

I can't say for sure where it broke, but it appeared to be before the knot. Like I mentioned though, I never had a string snap on the CR, so I'm inclined to think the bridge is not causing it, but then you never know. I can certainly try another knot the next time I try them on that uke. That may eliminate one thing anyway.

Thanks for the update. That was soooo like Mimmo of Aquila to do that. He is a quality individual and loves stringed instruments. Makes me want to give the reds a try. Glad things are working out for you so far.

As a fan of the Red strings, I appreciate you giving them a second chance and sharing your experience.

Very cool of Aquila to provide you with a replacement set!

Sing praise for these reds and get nothing for the two low G's that snapped on a risa stick. But if you talk bad about them you get a free set.

Bitter me not at all I expect nothing different just getting it off my chest.

I hope you enjoy them I know I like them very much. Would have loved that low G on my Risa stick but without a mod it isn't going to happen. After blowing two I wasn't going to try the third I bought.

If nothing else they should have a warning that the low G may not work with a risa stick. The reentrant sets are fine.

Sing praise for these reds and get nothing for the two low G's that snapped on a risa stick. But if you talk bad about them you get a free set.

Bitter me not at all I expect nothing different just getting it off my chest.

I hope you enjoy them I know I like them very much. Would have loved that low G on my Risa stick but without a mod it isn't going to happen. After blowing two I wasn't going to try the third I bought.

If nothing else they should have a warning that the low G may not work with a risa stick. The reentrant sets are fine.

I don't believe I spoke "bad" about them. In fact, I believe I said that I liked them a lot, it was just that they snapped. I was just relaying my expierence with them and that there still seemed to be an issue with them breaking. I would imagine if you contacted him, he would replace your strings.

I wouldn't speak to the "breakiness" of these strings. I haven't tried them.

Figuring out where exactly the break occurred can be a little tough because the string was stretched under tension when it broke. when the string tension is released as it breaks, you're going to have a long side and a short side. Each will contract differently because of the different lengths of string that were under tension on each side of the break. you can't just pull it back together and say it happened where they meet up. You can get a ballpark I suppose but it could be a fret width + / - to either side or more depending on the string. Maybe outer strings snag on a small fret edge. I slip the string over the fret ends myself on occasion. OR it might look close to the knot but it was actually over the saddle.

I think I would need a larger sample size of string set in question before forming a definite opinion about them. Trying them on other instruments is a good call.

I am trying low G on one of my ukes and have decided to try a low G Aquila Red along with Worth CH for the other strings. I like it a lot more than a wound string. No boominess and it blends in quite nicely.

I attach the strings on this uke using a classical string knot. But I think it is important to minimize sharp edges, even when using a bead or a pin, for those bridges. I had an issue with a Worth A string breaking on one of my pinned ukes. I ended up smoothing out edges, even the pin edges, and so far so good.

John

I am trying a set of these now and really like the feel but they did change the sound a bit of my Uke (an OS6W Oscar Schmidt) especially on the low G. Now up the around the 12th fret it sounds muted and kinda dead with little sustain. The standard G from Aquilla rang out nicely and had some sustain. Truthfully, as a beginner I wouldn't have noticed but I am doing some of the UU improvements and spending more time up the neck.

As a note on the breaking thing, I went though all the recommended processes that Aquilla suggests and still the C string popped during dinner (making the whole family jump, then laugh) the night after being installed. It popped right near the nut so I suspect some sanding may be in order. That did provide a chance to put the old C back on and the sustain came back dramatically interestingly. I wasn't "sure" of my ears but there wasn't any way to doubt it afterwards.

I love how the reds feel on your fingers though and they seem to make the "tone" of the instrument more woody than it was with the nyguts. My wife absolutely loves the reds compared to anything else. As a question, does it make sense that these would affect different instruments different ways in sound quality? IE: Help sustain on one, while harming it on another? I hear really differing opinions on strings that at times seem to be opposites. Many reviews of reds seem to fall into this category.

...Yes.

Tried them on 4 ukes. One was much better with them. One terrible. The other 2 were temporary. But, I do like using a low C and now low G in conjunction with other strings.

John

I really like the Reds, but not on every uke. I usually put them on a uke that is too bright with the regular super nylguts. To warm it up. I use Worth browns the same way. But, I love that all Aquila strings set up so fast. Worth's seem to stretch a lot and for a long time. But, I have snapped a Red just recently and I don't think a nylgut string would have snapped in the same situation.

I think addressing each string is interesting. But I don't do it currently. If I could find a place that sold individual strings reasonably, I might buy a different brand or type string for G C E & A, to fix problems and improve the sound.

I don't believe I spoke "bad" about them. In fact, I believe I said that I liked them a lot, it was just that they snapped. I was just relaying my expierence with them and that there still seemed to be an issue with them breaking. I would imagine if you contacted him, he would replace your strings.

Same here. Mimmo has stuck by his word. I'm now looking forward to trying the new Red wound low Gs I received today on my tenors. Thank you, Mimmo, for listening!

This is part of my job.
If i am the first to complain if I receive a bad service or a broken stuff from somebody, how I can deserve a different treatment to our customers?
The only problem, unfortunately,. is that I cannot have the control over all complaints.
ciao
Mimmo

...Yes.

Tried them on 4 ukes. One was much better with them. One terrible. The other 2 were temporary. But, I do like using a low C and now low G in conjunction with other strings.

John

Very interesting! I love the depths of this instrument that can be explored. Lots to happen with these 4 strings.

I really like the Reds, but not on every uke. I usually put them on a uke that is too bright with the regular super nylguts. To warm it up.

Interesting that you use the red series to warm up the sound of a bright uke. I find that they seem to brighten up the ukes I have put them on so far.

I have a slotted bridge. Fender Koa Nohea Tenor. Red Aquilas always break at the knot inside the slot.

I got tired of the red string breakage. I don't use them any more. I have one low A that I got for my sixer, but I don't have it any more.

:eek:ld:

Mimmo did same for me. Replaced a set with new formula. I love Reds, they sound great. If you follow the stringing instruction and pre stretch and don't let the string ride the nut slot when bringing to pitch you can avoid a lot of issues. I think sometime a sharp nut edge or a shape edge on the tuner causes breaks. At any rate, great strings and excellent service from Aquila.

Also, like their Lava Series which are pretty tough strings, very high tension but sound very musical. Not for every ukulele but they are nice.

Top Bottom