Epoxy over CA?

mzuch

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My experiment with pore filling with CA isn't working out. After several applications using the methods detailed in other threads, the pores still are not filled. I've tried the paper towel method, the credit card method, and the flooding method, all to no avail.

I want to start over using good old epoxy, which has always worked well for me. However, I'm worried that epoxy may not adhere well to the CA already on the instrument. What do you think?

I have used CA on fretboards and it worked out, guess you have a good amount of pores to fill. I don't see why you can not use epoxy over CA, how about doing a test piece?

Are you wiping until the CA just starts to heat up and 'go off' a little? Most of the filling action happens right at the end of the wiping, ( per paper towel) when the paper towel starts to get hot and the CA starts to get sticky. There is a 'sweet spot' in timing. I keep applying CA to the paper towel until it is too hot to touch, or until the paper towel starts to harden.

If possible, I would want to stick with the one grain fill method. The CA method is worth learning, IMO. I like epoxy too, and use both, depending on the application.

Shouldn't have a problem bonding to it but the bond to the wood will only be as strong as the CA. Wiki claims CA is used as a temporary hold on glass before epoxy sets so they should play nice together.

once the CA has set, which is quick enough, there shouldn't be a bond compatibility problem. there are easier ways to fill grain. some people wet sand very fine using varnish/finish as the liquid and the finish/fine sawdust fills the pores. you should be able to grain fill a flat fret board with filler and a putty knife for that matter.
find the method that works best for you.

Top Bottom