Don't Sing About That Guy

With all due respect to your song writing and playing ability pabrizzer (I hope to be as good as you someday)...

One of the main reasons I like this forum so much is it stays on topic about ukuleles.
There are many other outlets if I want to hear personal views about politics or religion.
For me UU is an escape from all of the rhetoric and personal crusades in other forums let alone the news outlets.

The OP's original post caused much discussion and polarization among our community. So much so that a moderator had to get involved.
I did not post in that thread because others had all ready posted what I felt and there was no need for me to jump on the bandwagon.

This current song (no matter how well done) continues to be polarizing and inflammatory.
Please let it go.

This has nothing to do with my personal political or religious views.
Thank You for taking the time to read this...Sean

With all due respect to your song writing and playing ability pabrizzer (I hope to be as good as you someday)...

One of the main reasons I like this forum so much is it stays on topic about ukuleles.
There are many other outlets if I want to hear personal views about politics or religion.
For me UU is an escape from all of the rhetoric and personal crusades in other forums let alone the news outlets.

The OP's original post caused much discussion and polarization among our community. So much so that a moderator had to get involved.
I did not post in that thread because others had all ready posted what I felt and there was no need for me to jump on the bandwagon.

This current song (no matter how well done) continues to be polarizing and inflammatory.
Please let it go.

This has nothing to do with my personal political or religious views.
Thank You for taking the time to read this...Sean

Clearly did not read the thread either as Pa was the original poster:D and it was his song that caused the rumpus ....come on ....a Forum about Ukuleles ...yeah , fair enough ...and what are ukuleles used for ....?? Making music ...and what has music been used for since time immemorial ? ...poking fun and lampooning and making musical fun of political and other pompous bozos that desperately need making fun of ....or not ...then ,hey ,if you disagree you get to do your own song back .....and yes it might wind some up ......but UU is a bit ...ooooh I dunno how to describe it .......innocent ?

Nah, there's plenty of snarks and snide comments posted ....not about politicians ...but about other members..... members who may express views that aren't sanctioned by the self appointed cogniscenti...This is getting a bit snarky ...so I'll stop it because I don't mean it to get that way... I just think that you can't, well you can , but maybe shouldn't, tell another member what they may or may not post ....and bugger me, there I am going and doing exactly the same thing.... sigh ...it's a slippery old slope innit.....

Last edited:
Clearly did not read the thread either as Pa was the original poster:D and it was his song that caused the rumpus ....come on ....a Forum about Ukuleles ...yeah , fair enough ...and what are ukuleles used for ....?? Making music ...and what has music been used for since time immemorial ? ...poking fun and lampooning and making musical fun of political and other pompous bozos that desperately need making fun of ....or not ...then ,hey ,if you disagree you get to do your own song back .....and yes it might wind some up ......but UU is a bit ...ooooh I dunno how to describe it .......innocent ?

CeeJay, I realize that pabrizzer posted the original thread as well as starting this one; hence the phrase "The OP's original post ". After rereading my post I realize that I could have said that better.

I fully agree with you with members being less than civil with each other. There is no need for it.

As to the "innocents" of UU, I happen to treasure it. The ukulele for me is an escape and a happy place.
There is very little agenda other than ukulele here and that makes this forum unique and special.

Pabrizzer satire is very well done and I greatly enjoyed his songs. That being said...
With no finger pointing, I would rather not see any political or religious posts here.

Just my two cents, your mileage may vary.

CeeJay, I realize that pabrizzer posted the original thread as well as starting this one; hence the phrase "The OP's original post ". After rereading my post I realize that I could have said that better.

I fully agree with you with members being less than civil with each other. There is no need for it.

As to the "innocents" of UU, I happen to treasure it. The ukulele for me is an escape and a happy place.
There is very little agenda other than ukulele here and that makes this forum unique and special.

Pabrizzer satire is very well done and I greatly enjoyed his songs. That being said...
With no finger pointing, I would rather not see any political or religious posts here.

Just my two cents, your mileage may vary.

My apologies. I thought that perhaps you had not realised that Pa was the OP ..Mea Culpa , my bad......

But I think that you may have missed my point . ;)

I don't think that UU is "innocent ", it can be very snarky .Without a sniff of honest "politics or religion"...however you may personally not have been exposed to that side and I wish you well and hope that you may stay clear of it.:shaka:

Enjoy your Ukeing and more power to your strummming elbow (unless of course you pick ...and then to whichever digit requires a boost)

Cheers:cheers:

CJ

I think Pa has handled it all appropriately. Politics isn't my fave topic, either, but I would never expect anyone to avoid the topic just to appease me. His songs are thought provoking and he has not said one word in the thread drama. He speaks through his music and I respect that.

Now, that sweater he is wearing in that video deserves it's own thread. ;-) I'm trying to figure out what it says.

If this place is really about ukulele, ukulele music and peace and love - I have posted a vid on this same page called Keep on the Sunny Side - it is a song done with my brother Ivan and his wife Deb. I am pretty pleased with it.
Last time I looked it had 14 views.
My silly Trump post has over a 1000 views (the post not the song). What are we here for again?
And here I am singing a song saying I GET THE MESSAGE and I'm still being told I am polarising and dividing this little ukulele world.
Check out The Sunny Side it is way better than what is going on here.

Oh Debby the shirt is a motorcycle one that says SHIFT. Also my jim-jams as wee-jinga-yin and I call our sleeping attire.

See you on the sunny side.......

Right on, Brian! Give it to the censoring bastards. Apparently, if someone else writes and records a song and you cover it, it's okay regardless of topic or view. But if you dare to write a satirical song yourself, that's somehow "off-topic" and wrong. Some people have no sense of perspective, and only believe in freedom when it's their freedom to restrict what others can do.

But logic was never their strong suit.
I was just about to say much the same thing myself. Would the moderators be called in if we posted a version of something by Elvis Costello - "Peace in our time" or "Shipbuilding" - or Billy Bragg? I certainly hope not.
Fair enough if I came on here and started a thread which just said "David Cameron is a *%^&", I would expect to be slapped down. But if I wrote a song about him, and played it on a ukulele, I would hope it survived.
This forum isn't just for discussing strings and wood. It is here to encourage performance. I hope.

And Pa - "Don't sing about that guy" is perfect.

"Shipbuilding"

Aah, a sublime song. I've always preferred the version by Robert Wyatt (from the Whistle Test), but only by the tiniest of margins. Off topic slightly, but I couldn't let mention of this song pass without comment.

If anyone happens to Google this track, it's about the Falklands War. Some of the most moving, tragic and uplifting music has its roots in conflict, strife and other unmentionable aspects of the human condition, which, I'm sure, the self-appointed censors of UU would wish banned. Many of the "spiritual" songs which are so popular amongst certain factions of the UU community have their origin in episodes of history that would be best left unmentioned.

Music should not be censored (save for profanity). Comments should be, when they become personal attack or devolve into a discussion of politics or religion and not about the music. As always, Pa, a wonderful job. You are always the Seasonistas that I check out first each week to see what your up to.

Music should not be censored (save for profanity). Comments should be, when they become personal attack or devolve into a discussion of politics or religion and not about the music. As always, Pa, a wonderful job. You are always the Seasonistas that I check out first each week to see what your up to.

And ...not even then..... Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols...for example.....

Family-oriented forum, CeeJay. My old ears are not too delicate but we may have some younger folks reading or listening (I know, they've probably heard it, but...).

Family-oriented forum, CeeJay. My old ears are not too delicate but we may have some younger folks reading or listening (I know, they've probably heard it, but...).

Apart from a handful of "extreme" swear words, there's no profanity filter on UU. If they'd wanted one, they'd have set one up. If there are "younger folks" on UU, it is the responsibility of their parents to monitor their internet usage, not mine. If I'd wanted to look after kids I'd have had my own, or become a teacher.

If there are any slightly older types who are offended on religious grounds, your constant invocation of your deity offends my ears just as much as Ceejays word (a word which, incidentally, isn't considered profanity in England, and which is meaningless in the USA).

:

I LEARNED most of my swear words ON the school playground......in fact I remeber as a young man of 21 ish being berated by a Lady outside a shop for swearing
at a young kid....I stopped her and said ...." It was not me madam ...it was this little toerag who's sensitivity that you are so eager to defend who was doing the
swearing ...at which he stuck two fingers up at both of us and legged it ..." :biglaugh::nana:

I'm with Big K on Kids .

Last edited:
Not criticizing your language, CeeJay. I just added (except profanity) to MY post because I recalled that it was a forum guideline and the reason given, I believe, was the "family" nature of the forum. My response back to you was only by way of explanation as to why I included (except profanity) in my post, in the first place, it had nothing to do with your language. I was not offended by anything you wrote. I, personally am not offended by almost any word used, though there are some I may choose to leave out of my songs when I perform in public to an audience that includes young folks. Certainly, no language used on this forum has offended me and I doubt too that we have many young readers. I do respect the forums guidelines regarding being nice to one another, don't use profanity, or discuss religion or politics, but I wouldn't do those things anyway on an ukulele forum.

Last edited:
Top Bottom