The Bailey Strap - new strap day!

Recstar24

Reaction score
http://www.thebaileystrap.com

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I was looking for a slightly nicer strap for my new Hoffmann, and saw some reviews and recs here and mandolin cafe to the Bailey strap. It's all leather that is woven into a braid with different colors, with a very unique way of attaching to an endpin or jack. Below are some key points of the strap.

1) it's beautiful and the colors match my uke perfectly. He has a few color options but all seem to go well with your standard top and back and sides color combos.

2) love the fact it's all leather with no metal or plastic - I actually got a small dent on the upper bout of my stansell as I dropped my sherrins thread strap when taking it off and the plastic part fell right on top. Not going to happen with my Hoffmann!

3) the endpin attachment is a loop with a leather bead that slides up to cinch against the pin. It works and secures extremely well, the loop is thin and fits perfectly into the grooved lip of the pickup jack, which is then held against it by the bead.

4) very high quality braid, this thing will not come undone! Light, not bulky, and very classy looking.

I've been coveting those straps for a while. Thanks for the review. They are handsome but a bit pricey. Good to know that they are worth it and function well (not just a pretty face). I like that there's no metal or plastic parts. I have one especially soft top cedar uke with a very light satin (almost natural) finish and I hate to have stuff banging up against it. Glad to hear that the Bailey is secure. I'm never comfortable with the slotted leather tab on many straps. It never feels secure and I've had it pop off on me (they get looser with use, taking on and off). I'm gonna save up my pennies for that Bailey and take the plunge.
BTW, is it slippery or does it stay put on your neck and is it comfortable?

Last edited:
Hi bunnyf,

It is definitely the most expensive strap I've looked at, but I am happy with the quality and the return on my dollar, so to speak. The dent I spoke of above was on a cedar top as well :( I recently spent nearly $40 on another custom strap that was linen with metal tabs in a mandolin style, and the leather endpin tab isn't quite large enough for a pickup jack, but I can force it on, but I don't feel too confident about it either...

I got the Round Version and it stays on my neck very nice, not slippery but not sticky, if that makes sense. It is very comfortable, the balance of the weight is very well distributed and it doesn't cut into your neck like say a polypropylene style strap, its as comfortable if not moreso as my linen/fabric based straps for sure. But that end pin beaded loop system he has works perfectly in my situation for sure.

Ryan,
That strap goes with your new ML perfectly. I'm sure you'll get a lot of compliments.

Where did you get it from? Is the length adjustable or are there different lengths you can get.

Hollis,

The website is in my original post at the top. He custom cuts to length, measure from endpin around shoulder to nut or endpin around should to endpin. Mine is cut to 42", but you have about 2-3" of additional play if needed.

How did you attach the strap to your headstock?

I love it! It looks really cool. And that uke, I've never seen another like it. Who built it?

How did you attach the strap to your headstock?

It is a loop created by a thin piece of leather that goes through a leather wash with two holes. You loop under the strings and around through the other washer hole, bring the washer close to the edge of the headstock, and stays very solid.

Sorry ... was there a strap in the pictures ... that Uke is AWESOME!

It is a loop created by a thin piece of leather that goes through a leather wash with two holes. You loop under the strings and around through the other washer hole, bring the washer close to the edge of the headstock, and stays very solid.

OK. I know what goes on the list for Santa this year! Thanks.

Top Bottom