Where to start

whistleman123

Reaction score
I just retired after 38 years of repairing band instruments. Woodwind and Brasswind. In the middle of all that I also built tubas and sousaphones for a major manufacturer. So I kinda understand accoustics and manufacturing. Also the need for patients and craftmanship.

I'd like to start building ukuleles, but don't know where to start. What are some good starting resources you could point me to. Books, online tutorials, etc.

Thanks

Pete Howlett

Mya Moe

Both on youtube

strohuke.jpg

I agree on starting with a kit. StewMac sells soprano and tenor kits. My first build was a StewMac soprano. Not only did I learn a lot about building ukuleles, but it turned out to be one of my best sounding ukuleles! There are also tons of UTube videos on the subject.

Bob

If you have the tools, you can also just buy the Hana Lima construction manual, which I did. It was very helpful, and very enjoyable. And very doable.

Nelson

I am in the middle of building the Hana Lima kit and am enjoying it; it's my first uke. I've also been reading "Guitarmaking: Tradition and Technology" by Cumpiano and Natelson, and am following the instructions for building a classical guitar, more of less. I find it to be a detailed and thorough book, despite being guitar-focused. The other thing I've been doing is looking at as many pictures of people's workshops that I can find online - it's amazing what you can learn from peeking into people's workspaces. Note, however, that I've got a fine woodworking background already, and own most of the tools I need.
My advice, like the posts above, is to buy a kit (the stewmac one seems the most easy to build) and simply have at it. Expect to make mistakes and just make sure that you learn from them. Good luck!

I'd like to suggest checking out Waverley Street. This was the site that gave me the confidence to have a go. Step by step video's like Mya Moe, but closer to entry level.

How about a metal body resonator uke. Should be easy for you to work with the brass.
I would recommend the Cumpiano book "Guitarmaking Tradition and Technology" its not a uke book but the construction steps all apply. Surf around on Youtube for videos too

Really though....just get some plans and dive in

Top Bottom