PDA

View Full Version : Hey everyone! I have a Banjolele question

Braga2966
09-10-2015, 05:01 AM
I'm not a complete ukulele newbie but I am to a Banjolele! is there any form of strap that exists? I looked around online but didn't see much and I have a firefly concert Banjolele that like my ukuleles I would like to not worry about strumming and holding it for while I am on stage.

Any one have any suggestions? Much appreciated!

And sorry if I posted in the wrong area!!

PhilUSAFRet
09-10-2015, 06:41 AM
Many of us have purchased mandolin straps with one end that ties onto the headstock. Works well, but I am considering changing it so I can hook it onto a lug at the front of the shell for better "balance"

Braga2966
09-10-2015, 10:13 AM
Many of us have purchased mandolin straps with one end that ties onto the headstock. Works well, but I am considering changing it so I can hook it onto a lug at the front of the shell for better "balance"

Hey thanks for the input, do you have any photos for reference of that I'm having a hard time trying to picture it as to where aside from the headstock where the other half will connect

kypfer
09-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Just looked at a pic of the Firefly http://www.omegamusic.co.uk/products/magic-fluke-firefly-us-made-banjolele-m90m-concert-banjo-ukulele?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=1184809088&gclid=CjwKEAjw1MSvBRDj2IyP-o7PygsSJAC_6zodebAKXMhucrxExK_fQaX53epW6GtLAdxXmxZ TROBKbBoC8ALw_wcB ... it's a bit different to most banjoleles, doesn't have any tension hooks to tie onto, but the model I looked at does appear to have a strap button on the tailpiece for a "standard" strap fitting ... the other end would tie onto the headstock.

If your instrument doesn't have a button, I think your only real option would be to fit one (or get one fitted).

I rather like the look of the maple finish one ... is yours a maple or a walnut?

Braga2966
09-10-2015, 11:00 AM
Just looked at a pic of the Firefly http://www.omegamusic.co.uk/products/magic-fluke-firefly-us-made-banjolele-m90m-concert-banjo-ukulele?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=1184809088&gclid=CjwKEAjw1MSvBRDj2IyP-o7PygsSJAC_6zodebAKXMhucrxExK_fQaX53epW6GtLAdxXmxZ TROBKbBoC8ALw_wcB ... it's a bit different to most banjoleles, doesn't have any tension hooks to tie onto, but the model I looked at does appear to have a strap button on the tailpiece for a "standard" strap fitting ... the other end would tie onto the headstock.

If your instrument doesn't have a button, I think your only real option would be to fit one (or get one fitted).

I rather like the look of the maple finish one ... is yours a maple or a walnut?

Walnut finish, I got mine at a steal of a deal so I would have chose the Maple myself like you but hey it's not all bad lol

That the notch you speak of?

PhilUSAFRet
09-10-2015, 01:59 PM
Be careful when you buy a strap..not all the same length. Many are too long. Ditto on installing a strap button.

Braga2966
09-10-2015, 06:06 PM
Is there anyone on the boards that makes straps?

kypfer
09-10-2015, 10:05 PM
Walnut finish, I got mine at a steal of a deal so I would have chose the Maple myself like you but hey it's not all bad lol

Notch ?!? This button here looks like a (small) strap button :confused:

Down Up Dick
09-11-2015, 03:50 AM
You could use a Uke Leash. It only ties onto the head. A UU member makes 'em; her name is Lori. Look up uke leash.com.

This strap would work okay, if you can find one. I use one like it sometimes. :old:

Louis0815
09-11-2015, 03:56 AM

Notch ?!? This button here looks like a (small) strap button :confused:It is just a screw (well, a cap nut), not more. Might be that the screw is long enough to fit a proper strap button (don't have mine at hand to look).

Braga2966
09-11-2015, 07:10 AM
Thanks everyone! I got in touch with Lori and ordered my Uke Leash! Yay!

Down Up Dick
09-11-2015, 07:23 AM
Good on ya! It might solve your problem. I hope you like it. :old:

Braga2966
09-11-2015, 08:35 PM
:D thanks, btw nice list of friends you got there in your sig ;)

PTOEguy
09-12-2015, 03:39 AM
Sound like you have a solution, but I did want to mention that you can get a strap button for the Firefly - I got a firefly direct from Magic Fluke Company and had them add one before they sent it - all it did was replace the nut on the end of the uke with a strap button fitting. It worked great.

Braga2966
09-12-2015, 05:11 AM
Thanks :) I will definitely keep it in mind for the future in case this is a temp only solution. Definitely look into it ;)

Louis0815
09-14-2015, 10:16 PM
Notch ?!? This button here looks like a (small) strap button :confused:

It is just a screw (well, a cap nut), not more. Might be that the screw is long enough to fit a proper strap button (don't have mine at hand to look).Just to give everyone the full pictures....
Looks possible to replace the bottom screw with a longer one where you could fix a standard strap button on the outside of the rim - functionality should not suffer from the nut being on the inside then.
83413 83414

kypfer
09-15-2015, 01:12 PM
Just to give everyone the full pictures....
Looks possible to replace the bottom screw with a longer one where you could fix a standard strap button on the outside of the rim - functionality should not suffer from the nut being on the inside then.

Thanks for clarifying that with a better picture ... I was just seeing what I wanted to see in the reflections :o

Louis0815
11-22-2015, 01:53 AM
Well, I finally did it and mounted a strap button to the bottom of my Firefly - was a matter of less than 15 minutes.
Losen the strings (and remove the bridge), remove the nut and screw, mount the strap button with a longer screw (at least my button required a 1" screw; you might eventually need a matching nut as well), align the tailpiece and button, retune.

You will note in the pictures that I used in fact a much longer screw - simply because I didn't have another one with matching diameter at hand (it's a M4x40mm now, M4x25mm would have been sufficient).
85675 85676 85677 85678 85679

uketanzon
11-22-2015, 03:12 AM

Hi, pm sent asking what those metal things on the drum is are for, curious.

martinfan
11-23-2015, 03:46 PM
Is the Lori mentioned here still making straps? I could use one for my midnight special!

Louis0815
11-29-2015, 10:44 PM
Is the Lori mentioned here still making straps? I could use one for my midnight special!Why don't you ask her directly? Forum search could bring you to her user profile where you can get in touch....

Katz-in-Boots
12-11-2015, 03:55 PM
Well, I finally did it and mounted a strap button to the bottom of my Firefly - was a matter of less than 15 minutes.
Losen the strings (and remove the bridge), remove the nut and screw, mount the strap button with a longer screw (at least my button required a 1" screw; you might eventually need a matching nut as well), align the tailpiece and button, retune.

You will note in the pictures that I used in fact a much longer screw - simply because I didn't have another one with matching diameter at hand (it's a M4x40mm now, M4x25mm would have been sufficient).
85675 85676 85677 85678 85679

Nice solution!

I use a Neotech mandolin/ukulele strap like this: http://neotechstraps.com/mandolin-strap.html

I threaded some thin leather cord through a neoprene button and looped it through the bend in the tailpiece like this: http://neotechstraps.com/acoustic-banjo-adaptor-loop.html
and it goes through the slotted end of the strap attachment. At the top I just loop it through the head between the tuners.

I use the same straps on my ukuleles, so it is easy to switch them.