New Uke Day - mahogany concert by Kif Wood

Shady Wilbury

Reaction score
Hi, all.

I'm taking a break from playing right now to post this...Today was a momentous day, one for which I have been waiting since February. I'd been dreaming of a custom uke for a little while, but knew that the usual suspects were a world away from what I could justify.

I was at a music session I frequent when a luthier I'd never heard of came up in discussion. I emailed him, and he was only too pleased to honour my request for a reasonably priced solid mahogany concert ukulele.

I think it's safe to say Kif outdid himself...most of the wood used in the instrument originally came from a local church, which closed about thirteen years ago. That makes it no less than 100 years old.

Sound sample to follow, but for now - enjoy the pics!

2afct95.jpg

288y1qs.jpg

a5gp4k.jpg

5f5jzd.jpg

When the light is better tomorrow, I will attempt a better shot of the middle piece of the neck. 200 year old Cuban mahogany, with diagonal striping to die for.

Excuse me whilst I get heady on mahogany...

Look forward to hearing you play it, Casey!

I'm so happy for you! I wish my first uke day could hurry up and come. Now my UAS is killing me. I'm looking forward to hearing it. Enjoy.
Cassie

Interesting shape, I like it! Congratulations, may you enjoy the new baby for a long time!

Wow, very cool. Congrats on finding it!

I really like the looks of that uke and, after hearing your SOTU #187, I love the way it sounds. Congratulations!

Top Bottom