Picking

I don't know what that's called, and I totally stink at doing it, and I could be completely wrong, but... :p

Looks like you're basically playing triplets with your first three digits of your right hand. Try just tapping on a desk: Thumb-middle-index, thumb-middle-index, thumb-middle-index, etc.

Then transfer that to your uke. Your index and middle finger are both plucking the first string ("A" string). At this stage, just have your thumb pick the fourth string ("G" string). Fourth-first-first, fourth-first-first, fourth-first-first, thumb-middle-index, etc.

You might find it easier to go thumb-index-middle instead of thumb-middle-index. Whatever works.

Then, when you get that down, try plucking the third string ("C" string) with your thumb. After awhile doing that, practice the second string.

And finally, work on moving your thumb among all three of those strings while you play the pattern. I think Jake and Guting are going third-second-fourth with their thumbs, but you can do all sorts of variations. Remember--the key is that your thumb is plucking between the "double-pluck" of that first string by your index and middle fingers.

JJ

Last edited:
ukulele jj has got it right
if you know how to read tabs this might help alot

A-00-------0-0-----0-0-------|
E---------------------------0--|
C----------------0-------------|
G------0-----------------------|

REPEAT

with the A string first open A you use you INDEX
2nd open a you use your MIDDLE

with the G, C, E strings you use your THUMB

do this slowly!!!
then when you get the rhythm start doing it faster

Thanks a lot again! really helped me out. dont know what i'd do without u guys.:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

:confused:oh... I have no idea.... sorry. Thats way to hard.......

Here's a tip that helped me HEAPS with this:

Search around on the D'Addario website until you find 2 videos of Jake Shimabukuro giving "lessons" (it IS possible to get these for free). One of the lessons is on THIS EXACT TECHNIQUE.

Check it out!

Rob :D

Top Bottom