What new songs are you working now? - Vocal or instrumental?

AcousticTones

Reaction score
The reward of really feeling like I've got a new song down, and the journey to get there, is one my favorite things in the world.

So I started to thing about what new songs I'm currently working on that fit into that category for this coming week or two. So here's a list of new tunes that I feel I'm getting close to having down at performance level:

-Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite
-Norwegian wood - both vocal and chord melody
-Across The Universe - both vocal and chord melody
-Imagine
-People Get Ready
-Stand By Me - Tracy Chapman's version from her appearance on Dave Letterman

So whether it be one or many tunes what is currently on your list that you are either hoping to have down or are currently working on? Would love to know :)

Edit - Side note added: I recently ordered a PONO MTSHC-S from The Ukulele site and hoping to record all of the above as soon as she arrives :) Can't wait!!!

Last edited:
Great idea for a thread! (Hadn't thought of Mr. Kite in a long time!)

Putting finishing touches on chord melody solo of "Danny Boy"
Recalled an old song by Peter, Paul and Mary that I used to sing and play on guitar in the early 70's - "The Good Times We Had" and am polishing that up
Beginning to memorize chords/lyrics to "Fly Me to the Moon"

Well, here at beginner central I'm working on some basic right-hand stuff (actually left-hand stuff for me) so...

A Message To You Rudy - now with chunking! Yeah, trying to add in some rhythm using palm muting to sort-of emulate that bouncy ska sound.

Hello Stranger - with some simple 'Carter-style' strumming (as per Aaron Keim's instruction) added in. Bum ditty, bum ditty, bum ditty...

Also currently noodling around with The Boxer, She's Not There, and Wild Horses.

Almost everything I do is vocal, with some instrumental bridges and such, to spice them up a little. I'm also into playing and singing songs from memory, and not having to rely on the sheet music, so I spend a lot of time on that. That, and putting some expression into them. So when you say "really getting a song down", for me that means that I can just belt it out from memory with some expression and maybe some moves to go along with it. OK, right now, I'm working on "You Never Can Tell", or the Teenage Wedding song, as it is sometimes called, by Chuck Berry. I was also working on "Don't Think Twice" by Bob Dylan, but I felt real good about that one yesterday. Also yesterday, "Oh Lord Won't You Buy Me a Mercedes Benz" popped into my head for some reason, and I got that one on my list after just a couple of times through it. I pretty much remembered most of the lyrics, so I just had to get them nailed down, and then the chords were a pretty basic progression, so you always gotta like that.

Almost everything I do is vocal, with some instrumental bridges and such, to spice them up a little. I'm also into playing and singing songs from memory, and not having to rely on the sheet music, so I spend a lot of time on that. That, and putting some expression into them. So when you say "really getting a song down", for me that means that I can just belt it out from memory with some expression and maybe some moves to go along with it. "

That pretty much sums me up too:).

Instrumental only, for me:

-- Time in a Bottle (just polishing this one up)
-- Yesterday (about 90% there)
-- Canon in D
-- Georgia on My Mind
-- I'll See You in My Dreams
-- Can't Say Goodbye (newest one I started; have 'bout 8 notes down. ;-)

My "challenge" is I often get one part down pretty decently but then struggle to get the rest of the song to the same level, usually to do some part that I find technically challenging. I want to do a better job of "finishing" these songs before I start trying to learn any more new ones.

My "challenge" is I often get one part down pretty decently but then struggle to get the rest of the song to the same level, usually to do some part that I find technically challenging. I want to do a better job of "finishing" these songs before I start trying to learn any more new ones.

Ditto!.....

...when you say "really getting a song down", for me that means that I can just belt it out from memory
I know not everyone can or likes to go without using any song books or sheets, but that's always my goal too. I know I've got it down when I can just wonder or walk around the yard and do these tunes. No sheets, just playing them over and over again while I find a place to sit or wonder and walk :)

Photograph by Ed Sheeran.

Been lazy since it's in the key of E and I like to keep in original key if possible. Tuned down by 1/2 step to play in key of F. Also the octave change from verse to chorus is not easy to play...might consider artificial harmonics.

Last edited:
just worked out some chording to 'A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square' for vocal performance :)

I had heard the song but was unimpressed until I paid attention to the sentiment and watched a few
YT videos. Wow, what a great song.

I'm keying on the Glenn Miller arrangement but I don't know who the guy singer is. I also prefer
to do the entire song from the beginning and both (or 4) stanzas :)

Anyway, that's it for now

keep uke'in',

I loved Tracy Chapman's version of Stand by Me on Letterman!

I've been compiling a set of Leon Redbone songs for the local uke club. Up a Lazy River, Big Time Woman, Please Don't Talk About Me when I'm Gone, Diddy Wa Diddy, Harvest Moon etc. Got 13 songs written up so far; gonna stop here for Edition #1 or this will never get done. Chords + vocals. I'm hoping the fancy chords won't scare our beginners away.

We have harmonicas. Now if we can just find a tuba player.

Tico Tico, it's a favorite of mine from 40 years ago. I also play trumpet and was in a Portuguese Band for a few years in the early to mid 70's. (I'm Irish/Italian)We were also a cover band, Blood Sweat and Tears, Chicago etc. When we played strictly Portuguese functions it was a staple. The dance floor was packed when this song was played.
I am working hard on it to get it up to tempo. For the record it's not an easy piece on trumpet either.

Hmm, now working on comitting to memory (there are an amazing number in there already) 2 Ed Sheeran songs Tenrife Sea and Thinking Out Loud. Just decide to start working on Both Sides Now, Joni Mitchell number...easy to work in the melody notes. I like to keep up with some popular songs for the kids.

My occasional harmonica playing inspired my guitar playing friend with nerve problems to take up harmonica. We decided to work up "Sway" with me on uke since I've been playing bass uke almost exclusively the last few months.

I've been compiling a set of Leon Redbone songs for the local uke club. Up a Lazy River, Big Time Woman, Please Don't Talk About Me when I'm Gone, Diddy Wa Diddy, Harvest Moon etc. Got 13 songs written up so far; gonna stop here for Edition #1 or this will never get done. Chords + vocals. I'm hoping the fancy chords won't scare our beginners away.
I'd love to see that if you don't mind sharing. Would be very open to helping with expenses.

Let's Fall In Love both singing and soloing. But A Nightengale Sang In Barkley Square sounds like a good idea for my next project.

Instrumental only, for me:

-- Time in a Bottle (just polishing this one up)
-- Yesterday (about 90% there)
-- Canon in D
-- Georgia on My Mind
-- I'll See You in My Dreams
-- Can't Say Goodbye (newest one I started; have 'bout 8 notes down. ;-)

So, do you play the song in chunks - play the first few bars over and over and then add more when you get the first part down? I'm thinking about trying that.

Also, are you playing chords or finger styling?

We have harmonicas. Now if we can just find a tuba player.

Leon is "The Man!" I've seen him play seven times over the years. Mississippi Delta Blues is one of my favorites to play

There are about four fingerstyle ones that I am trying to internalize - all from UU. Ashokan Farewell, Time in a Bottle, Stairway to Heaven, Morning Has Broken.

I am working on Christmas songs, too. This is a busy time of the year for me. I waited too long last year and never had the time to learn even one well.

I worked on Aldrine's Greensleeves/What Child Is This over the winter so I started with that in my repertoire.

Christmas Time is Here was an easy one to learn from the Uketab site. Gave him a donation because I want to go back and learn some of the others here as well. http://uketab.weebly.com/

I am working now on Ukulele Mike's O Holy Night, and his chord/melody Christmas book is the next ebook I will buy. I will probably have time to learn one or two more before Christmas.

Last edited:
There are about four fingerstyle ones that I am trying to internalize - all from UU. Ashokan Farewell, Time in a Bottle, Stairway to Heaven, Morning Has Broken.

I am working on Christmas songs, too. This is a busy time of the year for me. I waited too long last year and never had the time to learn even one well.

I worked on Aldrine's Greensleeves/What Child Is This over the winter so I started with that in my repertoire.

Christmas Time is Here was an easy one to learn from the Uketab site. Gave him a donation because I want to go back and learn some of the others here as well. http://uketab.weebly.com/

I am working now on Ukulele Mike's O Holy Night, and his chord/melody Christmas book is the next ebook I will buy. I will probably have time to learn one or two more before Christmas.

Ooo, thanks for the info. I just downloaded O Holy Night. I want to work on Silent Night to play at our Christmas Eve service. Time to get started!

Top Bottom