Jazz uke?

whistleman123

Reaction score
I'm swimming in deep water here and am looking for opinions.

I know you can play jazz on any uke, but if you were going to play just straight ahead jazz and stadards (playing and singing, comping changes, chord solos, and single note solos) what kind of uke would you choose?

Acustic, electric? Solid body? Hollow body? Size? Brand? Model?

I'm progressing well and have been asked to "sit in" with a rehersal band. Sometimes it's just a rythem section. Sometimes there are horn players. Sometimes a vocalist. So I need to start looking for a uke that will fit into this setting.

Thanks

Well here are a few videos of Abe and Jeff playing some great jazz on some nice Tenor Uke's. I don't think it takes any specific type of uke to play jazz though. It's about how and what you're playing (musically) and then just getting a tone you're happy with (whatever that may be for your taste). But I think most decent uke's would work just fine.

Video links:

https://youtu.be/OdB3v6MQyUk

https://youtu.be/sWw5gSImXfA

https://youtu.be/WCmEzky3aMQ

These things always depend on budget of course. Here's a link to my fantasy answer: http://www.jazzboxukes.com/ The Kala Archtop is also an obvious choice. But we play a couple of Jazz songs, and we use the same ukuleles we have for all our other songs as they're fairly mellow sounding: a Pono Acacia, a Pono Mango and a Kala Acacia. Happy Hunting!

If I were looking to make a stage presence I'd be wanting a Godin Multiuke, Pono solid body or Kala Archtop (in descending order of cost). Of course we've already acknowledged that any uke will get the job done.

You mentioned wanting something that can occasionally play rhythm, occasionally play single-note solos, and which would fit in with the other instruments. I don't know what other instruments you are talking about, but perhaps a bass ukulele (different from a u-bass ukulele) is what you are looking for.

I looked at your previous posts, and you mentioned being an experienced horn player, but new to fretted instruments. I am also new, and am currently learning on an octave-ukulele, but am thinking about a ukulele-bass (but not a u-bass).

I'm currently fascinated by this Kamoa:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT7fp8ByJs8
Luna makes a similar Uke-Bass. Both the Kamoa and the Luna are tuned like a bass guitar, but an octave higher.

C4 is middle C on a piano, and is typically the lowest note on a re-entrant ukulele (with C-tuning). C3 is an octave below middle C. The following chart might help you evaluate your options.

Re-entrant Tenor Ukulele; G4-C4-E4-A4
Linear Tenor Ukulele; G3-C4-E4-A4
Linear Baritone Ukulele: D3-G3-B3-E4
Guitalele; A2-D3-G3-C4-E4-A4
Guitar; E2-A2-D3-G3-B3-E4
Octave Ukulele; G3-C3-E3-A3
Kamoa and Luna Bass Ukulele; E2-A2-D3-G3
Bass Guitar and Ukulele U-Bass; E1-A1-D2-G2

Last edited:
I think most ukes can play Jazz. I have someone helping me learn Jazz and he picks up an old yamaha acoustic guitar and plays Jazz on it. It sounds good.

It's not so much the instrument as it is the chords and tuning you have. You will definitely want low G .

I would suggest looking at a Baritone. I play Jazz on a tenor ukulele. It has a spruce top. I also have a Pono MTD, which has a great sound.

If money is an issue, I really like the Cordoba for the price. Personally, I think the Pono ukuleles are hard to beat especially basic model. They sound great and are reasonable price for the quality of the instrument.

Here is a video of the basic Pono tenors in three different woods. These are tuned to high g but you can get an idea of the sound of each

https://vimeo.com/124688954

I think most ukes can play Jazz. I have someone helping me learn Jazz and he picks up an old yamaha acoustic guitar and plays Jazz on it. It sounds good.

It's not so much the instrument as it is the chords and tuning you have. You will definitely want low G .

I would suggest looking at a Baritone. I play Jazz on a tenor ukulele. It has a spruce top. I also have a Pono MTD, which has a great sound.

If money is an issue, I really like the Cordoba for the price. Personally, I think the Pono ukuleles are hard to beat especially basic model. They sound great and are reasonable price for the quality of the instrument.

Here is a video of the basic Pono tenors in three different woods. These are tuned to high g but you can get an idea of the sound of each

I think most people think that you need to play with a low G if you;re playing jazz, to get the depth and body of a chord. Most people playing jazz uke probably do it on a tenor (I think most people play tenor, period!). However, just a quick note in support of playing jazz on a soprano. I only play soprano, only play re-entrant, and can make some pretty nice jazz sounds with my (opens another can of worms...!) Aquila Reds!

Ben

Agree on the Cordoba 20CM-TE. It sounds amazing for the money (can be had for less than $150 used, often with a decent gig bag) I prefer a mellow low G set on it. I couldn't get the Aquilas off of it quick enough....too brash. I gave it to my grand daughter and replaced it with a Kala solid mahogany acoustic/electric with a cutaway. It's my jazz and blues uke. I like the old time look and tortoise binding. May be a pickguard in it's future solely for cosmetics. Getting some Southcoast medium low G strings with wound 3 and 4. Sounds better than my old Cordoba.

Last edited:
I think most people think that you need to play with a low G if you;re playing jazz, to get the depth and body of a chord. Most people playing jazz uke probably do it on a tenor (I think most people play tenor, period!). However, just a quick note in support of playing jazz on a soprano. I only play soprano, only play re-entrant, and can make some pretty nice jazz sounds with my (opens another can of worms...!) Aquila Reds!

Ben

Congrats on the new Jazz Box Ukes coming in ... I am very excited for you.

I play jazz on Baritone, Tenor and Soprano with Linear and re entrant tuning. I am gonna have to look one of those up!

If you are playing with a group you might consider a tonal wood that is just a little brighter to punch through the other musicians ... I really prefer Engelmann Spruce ... and have two Pro Classic Tenors ... one Linear with Oasis Warm linear and the RTC Spruce with re entrant Browns.

Will you be thumb dragging or strumming?

I have one arriving in two weeks. It is a soprano. I will play jazz on it (amongst other things). I am unable to express the level of my excitement!

:D

Ben

Jealous! :iwant: Please share the sound with us soon after you get it. Enjoy!

I have one arriving in two weeks. It is a soprano. I will play jazz on it (amongst other things). I am unable to express the level of my excitement

Woo! Congratulations! :) Will you treat us with a "NUD" post (photos, sound samples) when you get it? Definitely looking forward to it!

Congrats on the new Jazz Box Ukes coming in ... I am very excited for you.

I play jazz on Baritone, Tenor and Soprano with Linear and re entrant tuning. I am gonna have to look one of those up!

If you are playing with a group you might consider a tonal wood that is just a little brighter to punch through the other musicians ... I really prefer Engelmann Spruce ... and have two Pro Classic Tenors ... one Linear with Oasis Warm linear and the RTC Spruce with re entrant Browns.

Will you be thumb dragging or strumming?

In this setting I will be strimming with a plastic pick.

If you are playing with horns, you really need to be able to amplify that thing - so I'm guessing that should be one of your main criteria.

Woo! Congratulations! :) Will you treat us with a "NUD" post (photos, sound samples) when you get it? Definitely looking forward to it!

Hi Mivo (and wayward!).

I'm not much of 'NUD'er, if I'm honest! And I can't see myself uploading any sound files, even if I could record them at a decent quality!

BUT, yes, I will endeavour to upload a picture or two once I have my new archtop (and back!) sop. It might not impress you guys a lot as it is being built intentionally very low bling! That's how I like my ukes to be...

Will post 'em up after I get it and we get acquainted!

Ben

I'm really interested in seeing your new uke, too! I can see why you're excited!

BUT, yes, I will endeavour to upload a picture or two once I have my new archtop (and back!) sop. It might not impress you guys a lot as it is being built intentionally very low bling! That's how I like my ukes to be...

No worries about the sound samples! I have yet to upload the ones of the Barron River, because I didn't have enough confidence of doing so (I even have the equipment, just not the courage), so I definitely understand. :) (I intend to do it eventually, though - it's part of what keeps me practicing.) I was mostly just curious about what their sopranos sound like because one day (which is not now or soon) I might like a soprano with fantastic sustain up the neck.

Just pictures will be great! I also prefer low-bling ukuleles. I can find deep appreciation in very elaborate instruments that take one's breath away, but strictly for playing I enjoy a more simple instrument (with a great sound).

Hi Mivo (and wayward!).

I'm not much of 'NUD'er, if I'm honest! And I can't see myself uploading any sound files, even if I could record them at a decent quality!

Will post 'em up after I get it and we get acquainted!

Ben
Like Mivo said, no worries about the sound clips. I'll look forward to the pics as another "no bling just let it sing" proponent.

Returning to the original topic of this thread ... ;)

Overall size of instrument needs to be a consideration, in my opinion, especially if you're a "standard size male" or larger. Fitting a bunch of "glove-size large" fingers onto the fret-board of a soprano or concert above the 5th fret or thereabouts for a four-finger chord can be an uncomfortable squeeze, at best, especially when trying to change chords in a hurry.

I bought a tenor specifically for this genre. I'm not very good at it, and my repertoire is very limited, but I was just getting frustrated on my concert ... which limited my enthusiasm!!

Obviously, YMMV ;)

Top Bottom