The next generation

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I am joined by Tom Ziegenspeck for a year to help me get ahead. He has just graduated from University in Germany a qualified luthier and teacher of the craft. He's already wearing me out with his energy. He built this beautiful tenor harp ukulele as his master's piece. Check out the butt joint mitres and high gloss finish. He is one to watch :)

His current workshop responsibilities are finish and setup. After we have completed my outstanding commission order book of 40 instruments we will be building 60 Hawaiian style tenors. I currently do all neck carving for the acoustic instruments but the tenor project will be a joint effort. We have the fingerboards and most of the necks ready - I'll do a little YouTube video of how we prep a bound fingerboard... Between now and February I'll be matching and jointing the plates (I'll make another video of how this is done) and one day a month we will work on batch producing the parts so we have it all good to go come the 1st of March with the aim of building 20 a month.

If we keep to schedule I'll be able to settle the business debts (yes, running this without a sugar daddy, inheritance or pension windfall creates debt), pay myself a living wage and pay a bonus... I'll let you know how it goes.

If you want to see progress of interesting pieces: nice makore tenor and koa concert then find and join my Facebook group or subscribe to my Instagram updates. I don't want to hog this forum with stuff you don't need to see.

Hi Chuck
It's the term I use to define a simple, all koa body instrument that has at its heart the traditions, history and sound of Hawaii as I imagine it. Also it's a marketing ploy to distinguish between the authentic and the Johnny-come-lately spruce top models that are starting to become part of the ukulele luthiers' repertoire. It's what I started building in 1994 and what I still love the challenge of building. If I did what you do I'd call 'em Super-charged Hawaiian Tenors... putting my Churchill fellowship proposal in this week and making my first bid to visit Hawaii to see if I got it right :)

Good luck on your fellowship submission. I had the pleasure of playing one of your instruments a few weeks ago. A member of the group I play with recently received it from you after a long wait. My impression of that instrument is that you don't have much more to learn but I'm sure you'll have a great time in Hawaii.

Top Bottom