Bought two new Uke books today :) John King and Chad Johnson

AcousticTones

Reaction score
I love me a good book :) So I found both John King's The Classical Ukulele and Chad Johnson's Ukulele Aerobics at a local store today.

SUPER excited to start working on some of John's arrangements, and although Chad's is very basic I thought I may still pick up a few new picking and strumming patterns, licks and chords. But what really interested me about Chad's was his weekly approach and developing routines and habits for practice. I would to develop something like this for things I'm excited to work on, and so how he lays his program out really intrigued me.

Hoping to get my new Pono from HMS soon, and will most likely learn a few of John's arrangements, record and post next month.

I don't have many ukulele books (less than ten!), but those two are in my collection also. I must admit that John King's book is way beyond my current skill level, but I absolutely love the CD that came with it. It's brilliant and great quality, and very motivating. Love listening to his playing.

With the Ukulele Aerobics book I quickly learned to detach myself from the structure, that is, I dropped the attempt to "keep up" with the daily and weekly schedule, because it ramps up quickly after a short while and leaves you (or rather: it did with me) in the dust. So it's much better to look at the segments as little milestones to only move on from when they have been learned -- whether that takes a week or a month. Great value, though, I really like that book.

I love me a good book :) So I found both John King's The Classical Ukulele and Chad Johnson's Ukulele Aerobics at a local store today.

SUPER excited to start working on some of John's arrangements, and although Chad's is very basic I thought I may still pick up a few new picking and strumming patterns, licks and chords. But what really interested me about Chad's was his weekly approach and developing routines and habits for practice. I would to develop something like this for things I'm excited to work on, and so how he lays his program out really intrigued me.

Hoping to get my new Pono from HMS soon, and will most likely learn a few of John's arrangements, record and post next month.
Ukulele Aerobics doesn't stay basic for very long. I would be interested in your opinion of it after you've gotten into it a ways. Get back to us and let us know.

If you are interested in where to go next and you love the John King book, try anything by Tony Mizen. He has three wonderful books...

Ukulele Aerobics doesn't stay basic for very long. I would be interested in your opinion of it after you've gotten into it a ways. Get back to us and let us know.

I would also be interested in your opinion of UA. We had quite a thread about it a while back. Search the thread. :eek:ld:

Top Bottom