Need help with C string tuning issue.

Rhymenocerous

Reaction score
Having tuning issues with my "C" string!

I am still playing around with my new Bushman uke and I am having problems tuning the C string. I can get it tuned fine but then I try to play and a few chords just sounded really wrong. Finally after making sure it was tuned perfectly I got out my other tuner and started playing up the C string one fret at a time and it seems that it automatically becomes sharp with each fret (i.e first fret becomes Db but very close to D etc.) Can anyone tell me what would cause this. It is not like this is an extremely cheapo uke. The only thing I can see that is different about the C string in relation to the others is that it is sitting higher on the nut (the other strings are all 100% in the groove on the nut but the C string is only 3/4 of the way down). Would that potentially cause this? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

I am still playing around with my new Bushman uke and I am having problems tuning the C string. I can get it tuned fine but then I try to play and a few chords just sounded really wrong. Finally after making sure it was tuned perfectly I got out my other tuner and started playing up the C string one fret at a time and it seems that it automatically becomes sharp with each fret (i.e first fret becomes Db but very close to D etc.) Can anyone tell me what would cause this. It is not like this is an extremely cheapo uke. The only thing I can see that is different about the C string in relation to the others is that it is sitting higher on the nut (the other strings are all 100% in the groove on the nut but the C string is only 3/4 of the way down). Would that potentially cause this? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

The problem you are experiencing is incorrect intonation. Intonation is the correctness of each subsequent note that is played.

I had an older (1950s or 60s) Kamaka that just didn't sound right. It turned out that its intonation wasn't right. Musicguymic told me this and that the reason was because the bridge wasn't correct. The strings were too far off of the fret board aswell as the shape of the bridge and the location of it. This older Kamaka has a signle piece wooden bridge.

So Michael lowered the bridge, reshaped it and moved it back slightly. Its intonation is now significantly better and is playable.

So it could be a result of the string being too high (not sitting in the groove fully) or it could be a result of the bridge.

Another thing to stress is to try different strings... I know that others have stressed that some times a particular string could just be off(even with high quality strings). So your best bet would be to change your strings. I have Aquila nylgut high C strings on both my Kamaka sopranos and I like them. So if you change your strings and it fixes the problem then great... If it doesn't then it could be the groove/bridge.

Musicguymics is the best place to get them. I bought one set from a store and then bought my second set from him (for a few dollars cheaper). Worth springs are also highly regarded so you could give either of those a shot.

Here is his string selection:

http://stores.ebay.com/Musicguymics-Room_Strings_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ10248QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Daniel

Sitting too high in the nut can definitely cause intonation problems. I think that it would have to be really high to be off as much as you describe though.
You might try changing strings too.

I'm having the same problem with my C string. I bought an Oscar Schmidt concert last Saturday and replaced the Vinci strings that were on it with GHS strings. They all sound fine except for the C string, which is a tad too sharp when used in a chord. Especially an Em chord. I just picked up the uke tonight from the music store where they lowered the action. That C is still off, though not as much. Could it be the strings? If so, I'll try putting yet another set on it. But if it's the instrument, it makes more sense for me to just return the uke and get a better one than try 8 different brands of strings.

Merging your two threads now. No need to create two threads.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity I put the original factory (Vinci) strings back on my uke and, voila!, my C string tuning problem disappeared. They're not as smooth to the touch as the GHS strings but at least they're in tune...and while their tone is nothing to write home about, they're not too all that shabby either. Now I just have to figure which brand of the GOOD strings will give me satisfactory results.

Top Bottom