Fora anyone who has had a Prince cover removed from Youtube,

Ha! Good to know that Prince is one of the anal ones...like the Eagles. It's good to know things like this, so you don't waste your time making a video just to have drama. I'm hosting a Season, soon, and one of the themes I was considering included Prince. I'll mark that idea off the list. I bet they are still trolling for his music on YouTube and it won't really change that much. I wonder who else we should avoid covering.

Ha! Good to know that Prince is one of the anal ones...like the Eagles. It's good to know things like this, so you don't waste your time making a video just to have drama. I'm hosting a Season, soon, and one of the themes I was considering included Prince. I'll mark that idea off the list. I bet they are still trolling for his music on YouTube and it won't really change that much. I wonder who else we should avoid covering.

Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez . . . .

Should I go on?

(I kid, I kid)

I agree. Prince, The Eagles, and the estate of Jimi Hendrix are real ball-busters.

Nice post, Mike.

I agree. Prince, The Eagles, and the estate of Jimi Hendrix are real ball-busters.

Nice post, Mike.

That's fine, if that's how they want to be. It's just nice to know who to avoid...

Funny, I don't think too much of anyone on that list anyway.

I know that this case was about the private use of music in a home video, but I have often wondered when youtube would be forced to take down all of those great videos of performances from yeas ago.

So far it hasn't happened, but if it does, is it because the artist really believes that he/she will always be relevant and people are forever willing to buy their music? So often I will stumble across some video of some performance that will make an impression on me and introduces me to the artist or brings the artist back to mind.

What happens to these artists when the next generation has no free access, or really doesn't care to buy access?

What happens when the artist is really no longer relevant?

John

Copyright laws as they are = complete nonsense.

Amen to that! Have any of you guys stumbled onto that ridiculous Ukulele website that gives you the chords to songs with every other word in the lyrics full of "xxxxx"? How stupid that? You can find page after page of Google results giving you all the lyrics of the same song, and at least a dozen giving you the lyrics and chords. Sometimes I think people just get addled in the brain when the term "copyright" comes up.

I don't understand how it all works. I know that the coffee shop where I have played twice, has some sort of license, but I don't understand how the artist gets paid, as I don't think anyone working there is writing down what I play. But then it comes to busking. I'm assuming that busking is illegal. And what about playing at the farmer's market? I have a friend who has a Hawaiian shaved ice truck that he takes to farmer's markets and festivals. I've sat there and played my uke to try to draw in customers. Where does that fall? And what about just sitting around with friends and neighbors. I've been on the neighborhood bon fire circuit the last month or so. Everyone sits around the fire singing. Where are the legalities there? I'm not at all informed on the intricacies of copyright laws, but I'm playing out in public more and more. Maybe I need to be.

Top Bottom