PDA

View Full Version : NUD - Moore Bettah Ukulele

thejumpingflea
09-15-2015, 12:14 PM
Hello UU!

I was in Hawaii on vacation last week and was so lucky to have been able to pick up my brand new Moore Bettah Ukulele while I was over there.

I've owned a Moore Bettah Ukulele for several years now and it's been my primary player for the whole duration I've had it. I've had several students purchase new Moore Bettah ukes and simply *rave* about the sound and that his ukes just keep getting better. When I had the chance for Chuck to build me another one, I jumped at it and I have to say it's exceeded my high expectations. This is simply the nicest ukulele I've had the fortune to play and I'm in totally shock and awe that I got to take her home with me! Being able to pick it up at Chuck's was easily the highlight of my trip.

Here is a video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH5F3A51ZKI

More pictures!

Total Specs:
Model: 4 String Tenor
Body Materials: AAAA Koa
Bracing:
-Top: Sitka Spruce 3 Fan Pattern
-Back: Honduran Mahogany
Binding: Ebony
Purfling: Black / Red / Black
Neck: Spanish Cedar with Carbon Fiber Reinforcement
Headstock Overlay: Ebony
Upper Bout Side Sound Port
Inlay: Island Mountain Scene in Stone
Rosette: Black / Red / Black
Nut and Saddle: Bone
Tuners: Waverly

warndt
09-15-2015, 12:25 PM

Are you sure?

Oops! My eye missed that line about Bracing...

thejumpingflea
09-15-2015, 12:41 PM

Are you sure?

Those are the woods the bracing is made out of. ;)

NatalieS
09-15-2015, 01:17 PM
It's beautiful!!! Chuck's instruments are just stunningly beautiful. I saw your video on YouTube with the spinner dolphins in the background. What an awesome experience all around.

caukulele
09-15-2015, 01:23 PM
What a wonderful uke for a great player. So happy for you! Congratulations!

Camsuke
09-15-2015, 01:34 PM
Congratulations! What a beautiful ukulele.

Andy Chen
09-15-2015, 04:30 PM
Congratulations! I fully agree: A great uke for a great player.

sam13
09-15-2015, 04:31 PM
Wonderful Uke ... the sound is just fabulous. Congrats.

mds725
09-15-2015, 05:07 PM
Congratulations! I saw your video on Facebook. It's always a huge treat and a great pleasure to hear a great player playing such a beautiful instrument.

Ukulele Eddie
09-15-2015, 05:18 PM
Another great inlay MBU and in very skilled hands, for sure. Continue making beautiful music with that!

Patrick Madsen
09-15-2015, 06:08 PM
Yep, great artwork again Chuck and wonderful playing as usual. I really like hte armrest he's added to his instruments. He was hesitant, well a little more than that, when I asked to have one on mine a couple of years ago. One lucky instrument to have such a player as you.

Is Chuck. still using Oasis strings with a Fremont low G?

mm stan
09-15-2015, 06:17 PM
Aloha Matt,
Wow it is amazing, im so jealous and drooling, sounds so sweet your playing :)... congratulations

hawaii 50
09-15-2015, 06:17 PM
Yep, great artwork again Chuck and wonderful playing as usual. I really like hte armrest he's added to his instruments. He was hesitant, well a little more than that, when I asked to have one on mine a couple of years ago. One lucky instrument to have such a player as you.

Is Chuck. still using Oasis strings with a Fremont low G?

yes Pat..Chuck back to Oasis and Fremont Soloist...me too...haha

wickedwahine11
09-15-2015, 06:55 PM
yes Pat..Chuck back to Oasis and Fremont Soloist...me too...haha

Me three! :)

Congrats on that beautiful new uke! :)

Ukulelerick9255
09-15-2015, 08:42 PM
By the way to those of you who don't know Matt he's one of the finest ukulele instructors in the country and a great guy to boot, if you ever get the chance to take lessons with him you'll count yourself as lucky. I know I do.

Patrick Madsen
09-15-2015, 08:52 PM
Yep Matt is one of the best and lives in Washington to boot.

The Oasis he's using, are they the Warms or Brights? I have both sets so will need to order a couple of Fremonts. Looks like Elderly has them. Fremont Soloist wound G?

Mivo
09-15-2015, 10:28 PM
Very beautiful -- congratulations! :) Chuck's instruments are outstanding in every way.

Strumdaddy
09-15-2015, 11:39 PM
Wonderful !!! (playing and Instrument) Congratulations.
Just wondering what sort of pick up you had installed

Surly-Mac
09-16-2015, 12:01 AM
A beautiful instrument wedded to a beautiful player in Hawaiian Paradise. Really special stuff!

wickedwahine11
09-16-2015, 01:26 AM
Yep Matt is one of the best and lives in Washington to boot.

The Oasis he's using, are they the Warms or Brights? I have both sets so will need to order a couple of Fremonts. Looks like Elderly has them. Fremont Soloist wound G?

I don't know if Chuck put them on Matt's uke, but he used the Oasis Warm with Fremont Soloist low g on my uke. It is a great combination on that instrument. I always change strings and have never even been tempted to do so with that setup.

Dan Uke
09-16-2015, 03:15 AM
your uke looks and sounds great!!

Jeffelele
09-16-2015, 03:46 AM
Well, you don't have to wonder if you have a uke that is too good for you.

You make a great team. If you took the uke on the road you could bill yourself as the "Musical Brothers".

Thanks and congratulations to you and Chuck!

I hope this makes some amount of sense as I am seriously in breach of my rule to not post anything on the Internet after 2 AM.

Jeff

70sSanO
09-16-2015, 04:26 AM
The hands of one who takes bits and pieces of wood and molds them together; then places it in the hands of one who molds the notes together.

What a beautiful blend of two wonderful artists.

John

Nickie
09-16-2015, 04:45 AM
Congratulations, sounds wonderful. Beautiful song, too.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
09-16-2015, 06:19 AM
While i usually use Oasis (warm) strings with a Fremont Soloist low G, Matt requested D'Addario (reentrant) strings on his uke which is a very different sound than I'm used to. They fit perfectly for Matt's style of playing though.

SeattleSean
09-16-2015, 09:00 AM
I happened to have my weekly lesson w/Matt last night and he showed it off and it's really stunning. The red & black inlay is sick!

Matt told me that on a couple of areas such as strings he & Chuck agree to disagree. I know better than to step in the middle of a string argument, so I'll just leave it at that! :cool:

Recstar24
09-16-2015, 10:24 AM
Go Matt! Fine playing as always on a fine instrument. Good reminder I need to sign up for a lesson with you soon ;)

Chuck, off topic question - the only difference between the oasis warms and brights is the 1st and 4th string, correct? I have the brights, and will probably pair with a fremont soloist low g on my next string change for my Hoffmann ML.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
09-16-2015, 11:51 AM
Go Matt! Fine playing as always on a fine instrument. Good reminder I need to sign up for a lesson with you soon ;)

Chuck, off topic question - the only difference between the oasis warms and brights is the 1st and 4th string, correct? I have the brights, and will probably pair with a fremont soloist low g on my next string change for my Hoffmann ML.

If I'm not mistaken, the only difference between the Oasis warm and bright sets are the A string. The bright A string is a couple of mil smaller than the warm and is too bright and thin sounding for my taste. BTW, the wound low G that comes with the sets are quieter than most. Still, the Fremont is just about silent.

Recstar24
09-16-2015, 12:09 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the only difference between the Oasis warm and bright sets are the A string. The bright A string is a couple of mil smaller than the warm and is too bright and thin sounding for my taste. BTW, the wound low G that comes with the sets are quieter than most. Still, the Fremont is just about silent.

Thanks Chuck, and that is good to hear your opinion. My Hoffmann ML, being a very new spruce top, does border on the threshold of being occassionally bright/thin/strident on the a string with the worth clear, so maybe the warm set is a better fit. Good to hear the wound g is solid!

Back on topic - go Matt! :)

thejumpingflea
09-16-2015, 01:51 PM

I've got a few spots open! Feel free to PM or email me. ;)

Thank you for all of the kind words! Chuck builds such an amazing uke and I simply cannot wait to see how it opens up. The best feeling in the world is owning an instrument that you know you could play with your whole life and still not be good enough to truly do it justice. I think it's so important to have an ukulele grow with and to continue to find new sounds and I know that this Moore Bettah uke is going to help me with that.

CdnSouthpaw
09-16-2015, 01:58 PM
Beautiful and congratulations...very nice playing as well.

Strumdaddy
09-16-2015, 04:05 PM
Are you giving your old, worn-out, un-needed, space-wasting MB away? If so I would consider helping you out...

LittleCeci
09-16-2015, 04:37 PM
So elegant! Congrats Matt :)

stevejfc
09-17-2015, 03:03 PM
Another beauty....................... Congrats!!!

Uke man
09-17-2015, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=Moore Bettah Ukuleles;. Still, the Fremont is just about silent.[/QUOTE] And Squeakless.

Tigeralum2001
09-17-2015, 07:32 PM
Congrats Matt! I remember when you got your first MB and you sure know how to get the most out of it! What happened to the RA design? I thought that was yours...

thejumpingflea
09-18-2015, 05:42 AM
Congrats Matt! I remember when you got your first MB and you sure know how to get the most out of it! What happened to the RA design? I thought that was yours...

That's not the uke you're looking for... ;)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
09-18-2015, 07:03 AM

You really don't want to mess with The Mouse!

Tigeralum2001
09-19-2015, 02:43 PM
What the Mouse doesn't know won't hurt it... Hmm... I have an innovative idea for you, Chuck. Take a standard shape (like a rectangle) and carve it out of the head stock extra deep. Inlay a magnet in the space in the head stock. Then you could take several of the rectangle cutouts and make interchangeable inlays with magnetic backs. I'll put my RA inlay in while at home, and my hula girl in when I play in public. :)

Landshark
09-20-2015, 02:59 PM
congrats nobody makes a better uke than Chuck