Kyser Capo

Afcforthewin

Reaction score
I just bought a Kyser capo and I really like it. However the underside portion of the clamp has a pretty small surface area. Coupled with the tight spring I'm a little concerned that the capo could dent or scratch the underside of the neck of a ukulele over time.

Does anybody have any experience with these? Thanks!

I try to keep my Ukuleles as far away from metal objects as possible. Before I adopted that plan, I did try metal capos. The first time one flipped out of my grip as I was trying to squeeze it open I decided it wasn't such a good idea. Fortunately, it flipped out to the side, and didn't hit my Uke. I would be SO pissed to scratch up a $2,000 Uke with a stupid $15 capo. I'm not letting that happen!

I have two capos. One for my radiused fretboard ukes and one for my flat fretboards. You know, I have never used them when playing with any of my groups. I always over accessorise.

I have two capos. One for my radiused fretboard ukes and one for my flat fretboards. You know, I have never used them when playing with any of my groups. I always over accessorise.

I'm thinking of using mine as a tie clip, or a travel napkin holder. I bought one, sold it with a uke, and then relapsed and bought another. Sorry, OP, that doesn't answer your question, and they weren't Kyser brands. But in my slight use of capos, I did not notice damage. The first one (Shubb) had a spring, the second one (Planet Waves) just an adjustable knob.

I just bought a Kyser capo and I really like it. However the underside portion of the clamp has a pretty small surface area. Coupled with the tight spring I'm a little concerned that the capo could dent or scratch the underside of the neck of a ukulele over time.

Does anybody have any experience with these? Thanks!

I have a Kyser capo, but I haven't used it much. I mostly tried it out, messed with it a bit, then hung it on my Uke rack. When I wanna change keys I usually transpose or play a different tune.

I guess I just like to buy accessories. I have a glass slide too that I haven't used much. Ahhh, well . . . :eek:ld:

I won't be of much help here either. :eek: But for the same reason, I've chosen not to use capos with springs. I have one such guitar capo that languishes in the case, never to be used by me again. I like the Planet Waves capos a lot though, with the adjustable knob on the back (no springs). I use both the uke and guitar versions.

All I can say with the spring-loaded capos is move slowly and carefully. The spring capo never hurt my guitar, but it made me nervous every time I tried it.

Pencil+rubber band is what I use that one time every year I need a capo. I do own a capo, but I just can't find it that one time every year. Could be metal on it, I'm not sure.
I own three stringwinders, so far I've always been able to find at least one when I needed one.

No experience with Kyser but the G7 performance capo has good rubber on both side, squeezes closed to your finger pressure easily and is quick release, just a little pricey tho

If you're worried about it enough to not use it, but you need a capo... get another capo.

I use the generic dunlop one, and have never had a problem. When I'm not using it, it's often clamped on the headstock, and it's never left a mark or dent.

http://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-Acoustic-Curved-Trigger-Black/dp/B000788VPG/

Necks are usually hardwood. And really.. the amount of pressure you need in a capo isn't that much. You can barre a chord.. without an iron grip.

If you're worried about it enough to not use it, but you need a capo... get another capo.

I second that. I use the Planet Waves NS ukulele capo. It's the only one I've found does not get in the way, even on a soprano uke. I quite like the Shubb ukulele capo but I only really find it of any use on a tenor. I also tried the Dunlop elastic one and again OK on a tenor but gets in the way on smaller ukes.

Top Bottom