What actually goes on at a Ukulele Fest?

smgold101

Reaction score
I see there are workshops and vender's and such (looking at the NYC one). These work shops is like someone goes on a giant stage and teaches you techniques? and theres just a huge mass of pple in front of the stage? or does one have to sign up for a workshop and its more personal? Also serious question is it really worth the $100 ticket?

Thanks

-Seth

P.S i look forward to reading responses like : Well at a ukefest usually it first starts by praying to the uke god, then sacrificing a small rooster. Then everyone gets in two parallel lines and plays water balloon toss and the winners get to make up the new ukefest hand shake for the year.

Haven't been to one yet, but I'm 90% sure I'll be at the one in NYC. :D From what I gathered, once you pay up front, you're free to go to any of the workshops/concerts or check out the vendors.

I've only been to two of them, but you get workshops, performances, and jam sessions. The vendors come out, too. They bring A LOT of ukes.

$100 isn't bad for the lineup of musicians they've got. You get to see some great performers all in 3 days for only $100.

i'm gutted i don't think we get anything like that in the uk, if there is they're quiet about it.

(begin gloating because i live in hawai'i)

well, every year, the Roy Sakuma 'ukulele festival is free. no admission, just hardcore performances, major vedor booths (last year there was KoAloha, Kala, Kamaka, G-string[Acabooe was there], Kanilea, PuaPua), and food (dippin dots!!!).

(end gloating because i live in hawai'i)

Lacerveza, there ARE uke fests in the UK, but not like the one in New York. To promote a uke event in a large city is SERIOUSLY expensive, so they are on a smaller scale, and usually out of town. There's been a one day event in Kidderminster already this year, and another is planned for October. The Oswestry festival is every two years (last and next). There is the camping weekend at Hollesley, Suffolk at the end of July (that's the biggie), and there will be other camping or pub based gatherings at a couple of places. If it's workshops you're looking for, Steven Sproat is holding some (there's one in Oxford soon). Then there is a growing club scene around the country.

There is quite a bit going on. You'll find details on Ukulele Cosmos.

Ukantor.

Hmmm, they kept that one pretty quiet. Still, it's a bit too far away from home for me, and I'm not an extreme kinda guy. More like old and boring:eek:ld:

Ukantor.

On the last day of vacation in Kaua'i we went to the Waimea Town Festival where they had a Uke Fest/Competition. It was just awesome. Some good beers and great tunes. Couldn't stick around for the whole time but it was fun.

Might go to the NYC one - but money's tight - trying to buy a house.

i'm definitely going dont know whether i should get a new uke now, or wait until i see what they are selling there

Uke fest..hmm sex drugs and lots of ukuleles....let me see... a lot of guys checking out bodies...looking for that beautiful one... gently caressing of necks and bodies, some get a mean wacking.....fine stroking of strings and sometimes the excitment gets them into pounding.....ahhhhhh now wheres my drugs Urso lactolose....triamterine...hmm good stuff...

Uke fest..hmm sex drugs and lots of ukuleles....let me see... a lot of guys checking out bodies...looking for that beautiful one... gently caressing of necks and bodies, some get a mean wacking.....fine stroking of strings and sometimes the excitment gets them into pounding.....ahhhhhh now wheres my drugs Urso lactolose....triamterine...hmm good stuff...
so you're the infamouse mgm i've read so much about, i live on the other side of the pond so i cant benefit from you (jealousy) swap you drugs for a uke (joke)

Last edited:

plenty of g-strings for everyone too???

Top Bottom