PDA

View Full Version : Uke comparison video -- opinions please!

robedney
09-16-2015, 03:12 PM
Hi All,

As some of you know I've been working on a carbon fiber uke prototype. We've completed the latest iteration and I've made a little video comparing it, a prior prototype and a Pono solid acacia slot-head. Nothing for sale yet -- we just want some feedback. Please forgive my playing -- I've only been at it for a couple of months :)

You can watch it here -- and if you want to see some photos of the prototype you can visit our preliminary, rough website at http://www.orcaukuleles.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OurDF_z9VO4&feature=youtu.be

PhilUSAFRet
09-16-2015, 03:41 PM
impressive.

VegasGeorge
09-16-2015, 04:45 PM
The more recent prototype has a much clearer sound. The early one with the thinner top sounds muddy and indistinct to me. FYI, any evaluation would be much more accurate if the Ukes were carefully tuned up first.

bonesoup
09-16-2015, 08:05 PM
I think the first Orca has nice sustain, some ring, and a pleasing sound. I liked the second one's sound too (paper towel, haha). Hats off for what you've accomplished.

Booli
09-17-2015, 04:16 AM
They sound great to me. I like it.

Similar to the Flea and Fluke instruments (both with the polycarbonate back and wood top), but ALSO different from how a wood instrument sounds, in a rather pleasant way.

I am glad to see you creating these in what appears to be tenor scale. It seems most ukuleles that are not wood, are concert scale or smaller, and I am not sure why (other than costs, or fear of a long-term commitment to non-wood ukes).

I will be subscribing to the mailing list.

Thanks for sharing your work, and your video. :)

Ukejenny
09-17-2015, 04:47 AM
Mr. Edney, firstly, your playing is pretty doggone good for two months in!

Both prototypes sound very nice to me. The paper towel edition has a sweetness to it. Did both prototypes have the exact same strings? I especially like the detail of the slightly beveled edge. I play a Blackbird Clara and that is the one thing that I would change on the instrument - I would like a bevel, because the edge seems to cut into my forearm a bit.

Recstar24
09-17-2015, 05:32 AM
Definitely like the resonance of the carbon fibers, they truly do sound like "real" ukes! I prefer the richer resonance quality of the thinner top to be honest, but I do agree the recent proto is more focused and clear. If there was a way to combine both, getting the richer and deeper tone while it still being focused and clear as well, I think you will be very happy. I will definitely be following your progress, being in the midwest, our weather in chicago can go from extreme cold to extreme humidity, so having something to play outside in winter or on the beach in summer as well as let the kids play with is mighty cool.