Need help! Cutout or standard?

uke puke

Reaction score
Hey guys ive decided that it is time to invest in a nicer ukulele. I want to get the Pono Mahogany w/ spruce top + a pickup. :nana:

Heres the question, should i get it with a cutout or not? How will the change in the shape of the body affect the sound? I feel like the standard body may have a depper tone, which i like, but im not sure if it even makes much of a difference. What do you guys think?

It's more of an appearance thing. You should get the one you think looks better.

if you play that far up the neck, get the cutaway.
if you don't play that far up the neck, don't get the cutaway.

I dont play that high yet, but id like to have the option as long as i dont sacrifice sound quality....how will the tone be different with the cutout?

I dont play that high yet, but id like to have the option as long as i dont sacrifice sound quality....how will the tone be different with the cutout?

I have the pono spruce top...you know the electric cutout is going to be 600-700$ new right, as opposed to the 500$ regular electric/acoustic? I mean pono's are great in everything for mid range, but if your going to spend 500-700$ on a tenor there's a lot of other brands I would consider over the pono. Example - Honu

Or better yet, wait around for a good quality used kanile'a, koaloha..etc

Just my opinion, but to answer your OP, your ear won't be able to tell the difference

Last edited:
If you like the aesthetics of the cutaway, get it and the body shape shouldn't affect the tone.

I don't think it makes a difference in sound. Plus you're getting a spruce-top. Those are pretty bright. If you're playing through an amp, just jack up the bass.

I've compared guitars that are cut-outs to the same make with a whole body and, in my opinion, heard a bigger, fuller sound come out of the non-cutout. But if you've got a uke that plugs in, it shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

I have the pono spruce top...you know the electric cutout is going to be 600-700$ new right, as opposed to the 500$ regular electric/acoustic? I mean pono's are great in everything for mid range, but if your going to spend 500-700$ on a tenor there's a lot of other brands I would consider over the pono. Example - Honu

Or better yet, wait around for a good quality used kanile'a, koaloha..etc

Just my opinion, but to answer your OP, your ear won't be able to tell the difference

i found the standard for $530 and the cutout for $560. so the price difference isnt really an issue. I dont know if im ready to pull the trigger just yet. Thanks for all the input guys.

i found the standard for $530 and the cutout for $560. so the price difference isnt really an issue. I dont know if im ready to pull the trigger just yet. Thanks for all the input guys.

That's a great price for the cutout, if your set on the pono I'd say buy that cutout. I had to quite often squish my fingers on my PTS because of the body getting in the way and wish'd it was cutout.

You gotta understand too bodies of acoustic guitars are way larger and different from those of ukes, whereas the slight cutout on a uke body won't change the sound as drastically as on a guitar.

Where are you getting those prices from btw?

That's a great price for the cutout, if your set on the pono I'd say buy that cutout. I had to quite often squish my fingers on my PTS because of the body getting in the way and wish'd it was cutout.

You gotta understand too bodies of acoustic guitars are way larger and different from those of ukes, whereas the slight cutout on a uke body won't change the sound as drastically as on a guitar.

Where are you getting those prices from btw?

Those are the prices on
Hawaiimusicsupply.com

I'm just an old fashioned FART so a cut-out just doesn't look right to me, practical but ugly. :cool:

Top Bottom