NUD Preview Barron River 8 String Tenor

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Allen McFarlen of Barron River Guitars and Ukuleles has been sending me progress photos of the build of my 8 string tenor over the past few weeks. It is quite interesting to watch a master luthier turn some planks of wood into a beautiful instrument. I thought I'd share these with my UU friends.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Beautiful wood....is it quilted mahogany? Allen makes great ukuleles. He's on my list for future custom when funds are available. Congratulations.

Big fan of Allen's work here. Love how your custom tenor comes along -- it's beautiful even now! Gorgeous wood, especially in the last picture of the second post.

Beautiful wood....is it quilted mahogany? Allen makes great ukuleles. He's on my list for future custom when funds are available. Congratulations.

I had been originally looking for some curly Honduran Mahogany that he used in a few previous builds. He didn't have any of that left so he looked through his wood to try and find something special. It is Honduran Mahogany that we both termed as 'waterfall '.

Last edited:
Big fan of Allen's work here. Love how your custom tenor comes along -- it's beautiful even now! Gorgeous wood, especially in the last picture of the second post.

How could you not be a big fan of Allen's work? I decided to put in a commission right after I played one of his instruments that a friend owns.
The beauty of the wood is starting to reveal itself now that the finish is being applied. I've been waiting for this stage and I am not disappointed by how it is turning out.

That is some gorgeous mahogany! I love my BR concert, it sounds so sweet and looks so good.

So you are the lucky person getting the lovely hog soundboard - congrats!

Now that I just received my BR huon pine tenor from Allen, I've become a huge BR fan too.

Flawless craftsmanship and great tone, excellent value!

Last edited:
So you are the lucky person getting the lovely hog soundboard - congrats!

Now that I just received my BR huon pine tenor from Allen, I've become a huge BR fan too.

Flawless craftsmanship and great tone, excellent value!

All of how you describe Allen's work, Andy, and playing one example myself is why I commissioned the new Uke.

A point that might interest some players is, like the first 8 string tenor that Allen did for another client and an 8 string Concert that he did for Bosko (of Bosko and Honey) the 4th course is slightly different than normal. I believe it was Bosko who started it by requesting that the string spacing of the 4th course was wider than normal to allow the player to pluck either the high or low octave string separately but not too wide so that you can't fret both strings at once. The first client to build one this way was very satisfied with the outcome. After talking with him I asked Allen to replicate what he did on that 1st 8 string tenor.

The concert that I did for Bosko is actually only a 5 string one. And that double course for the octave gG is spaced quite wide. It would be something I would only recommend to the most accomplished player, and only if they new what they were getting into.

The other 8 string tenor I did had a far more user friendly spacing. Still wider on the octave gG, but with some practice you could pick out one string and mute the other.

Allen, thanks for clearing up the background to the build of these instruments. Something that my post operation medicated brain mixed up even after Peter told me the story of how he spoke to Bosko and the final spec that was decided upon.

The final lacquer has been applied and the Uke has been hung up to dry for a few weeks while Allen gives a Uke building class in Brisbane. I retire next year and that class is one activity that is definitely on my bucket list.
View attachment 83670

Attachments

• Lacquered.jpg
    Lacquered.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Hollis, I absolutely love it. It is great when you have a chance to play a uke made by the builder your interested in, most don't get that opportunity. Allen's work in fabulous and your instrument is really special. We all enjoy a good "build in progress" thread, keep them coming.

Hollis, I absolutely love it. It is great when you have a chance to play a uke made by the builder your interested in, most don't get that opportunity. Allen's work in fabulous and your instrument is really special. We all enjoy a good "build in progress" thread, keep them coming.

Dave, I'm glad to hear that people enjoy this thread. Now that Allen is busy with other matters for a few weeks I'll have to pop a Valium or two to help with expectation anxiety. I am amazed by how the top came out. It's beautiful but it's not what I was expecting. I truly appreciate how fortunate I am to be able to make this journey. What fun!

The wood looks really amazing, it's very beautiful -- a definite eye-catcher. I can only imagine the pain of the wait for it to get done, but it'll be fantastic when it does arrive! :)

Woof! That is awesome! I am a nut for 8 strings anyway, and I think that one example will represent the best of them. NICE! Btw, with standard double-course spacing on the G one can pretty easily pull a high G, and I've found the low G sounds fine even if the high G is struck with it in a low G song/chord. I think a little extra spacing there would be a plus though. I am very envious... You have a gem there.

Woof! That is awesome! I am a nut for 8 strings anyway, and I think that one example will represent the best of them. NICE! Btw, with standard double-course spacing on the G one can pretty easily pull a high G, and I've found the low G sounds fine even if the high G is struck with it in a low G song/chord. I think a little extra spacing there would be a plus though. I am very envious... You have a gem there.

Re the extra spacing of the gG course, I had a few conversations with the fellow for whom Allen built his first 8 string tenor before I had the confidence to ask for the same build. You should have a look at the Barron River website gallery to see the absolutely gorgeous 8 string that Allen first did; http://www.brguitars.com/gallery/tenor/8_string_tenor/
Although I am very happy with how mine is turning out, I would have been very happy to have the same wood if it was available.

I just received these photos from Allen that really show what the finished instrument will look like.

View attachment 83715
View attachment 83717

With this gift to stare at I can now wait for the Uke to be finished in the fullness of time.

Attachments

• Sound Port.jpg
    Sound Port.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Headstock.jpg
    Headstock.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Top Bottom