why does my wound c string keep breaking?

rreffner

Reaction score
Went through 2 sets of strings. I don't notice anything sharp.

Also, if a string breaks from say Aquila, can you put a Worth on in its place or is that wrong? In other words, mixing manufactures.

Where is it breaking at? If it's in the same area, you may wanna do a thorough inspection with a magnifying glass. As far as mixing strings, it's a matter of choice. some prefer to have the same brand across the board. If you're jamming with a bunch of guys and a string snaps, just replace it with whatever is available. Then probably replace the string with what you normally use. I like using different strings, for example, I have Aquila G & C and D'Addario J71 E & A.

Those Aquila wound C strings last maybe a week tops for me. Never had any luck with them.

I've heard that if you put some pencil graphite in your 'ukulele's nut slot it will reduce breakage - presuming that is where your string always breaks.

If it is just your C string that is giving you trouble, you might just want to get an unwound string. You will have have a more even sound too.

deng! you must look like my awesome gov'na

govna.jpg
That's the way our awesome governor USED to look. Here's a comparison between then and NOW:

arnold-Schwarzenegger-before-after.jpg

Many times, if it looks like it broke at the nut, it really broke at the tuning peg because of the stretching involved. I had to get a peg filed to take out any small burrs on my Pono. After that, all was good... until the bridge moved a little and threw the intonation off at the higher frets, but that's another story. Oh, and the A string's action was too low, but a piece of toilet paper fixed that in a jiffy. Oh, and the frets were too sharp and would catch my nail from time to time, but I had it filed. Oh, and my warranty's probably void now for "unauthorized repairs." Oops. *sigh* the woahs of a pricey uke needing repairs.

Anyway, back to my point... either you got a small burr(s) somewhere cutting the string or the string's quality is subpar. If everyone's getting the same issue from the same string manufacturer, we could write to them and let them know something is wrong.

Top Bottom