Have you ever had to deal with Uke withdrawal?

Cassie

Reaction score
Hi, I was thinking that since we had a thread on uke addiction, I thought of posting one about uke withdrawal. Have any of you had to go through Uke withdrawal? If so, What were your symptoms and how did you get rid of them? They can be silly and serious. YOu can make up new jokes about withdrawal.

Yes, missed playing on an extended vacation living out of a carry-on. No space for an uke. :(

I'm twitchy about not playing the good axes packed for evacuation so I must settle for what's at hand. Any fretboard in a storm!

Maybe you should get a pocket uke. Hey K0k0peli, You like Vihuelas? I love them also. I love Mariachi music as well as Hawaiian. A baritone uke sounds almost like a vihuela.

Ouch....that's all ...never mind what took place before the withdrawal.....

I had a serious case of uke withdrawal when I had a bout of tendonitis a year or so ago. I couldn't play at all for a few months. Working on cleaning up my song library on my iPad and adding new music eased my withdrawal symptoms.

What were your symptoms Bunnyf? I want to know so I can know what to expect if I become addicted and have to hit withdrawal. I'm already addicted to the sound of the uke. I'm constantly listening to ukes.

Maybe you should get a pocket uke. Hey K0k0peli, You like Vihuelas? I love them also. I love Mariachi music as well as Hawaiian. A baritone uke sounds almost like a vihuela.
Vihuela and a few other Mexican instruments are on my get-em-when-I-can list, maybe the next time I drive to Paracho -- or to Nogales if paranoia kicks in. Ranchero / Mariachi is OK but Banda kicks butt. Look for a channel called BandaMax. And my baritone is small-voiced, doesn't sound very vihuela-like, especially tuned as a plectrum banjo. ;) Meanwhile, I have indeed thought of building a pocket 'uke. I really need to get my workshop together. It's in the queue...

PS: I also deal with fretboard withdrawal by always carrying a few mouth organs with me. Blues harps (in A, C, G), echo harp, chromatic -- don't leave home without'em.

Last edited:
Awesome! You sure know how to bust withdrawal! I only have my Casio keyboard right now. One of my friends has infected me with a bad case of UAS or should I say, pre UAS.. This Christmas I hope to have my first uke. He is a fellow member. He's not on the forum a lot.

Awesome! You sure know how to bust withdrawal! I only have my Casio keyboard right now.

Hopefully I will not humiliate or excommunicate myself by this admission, but I do / will not suffer from 'uke withdrawal specifically. It's more of general music withdrawal. I stave that off by keeping portable instruments around, like the mouth organs I mentioned and fipple flutes (tinwhistles, ocarinas, etc). My Casio VL-Tone used to accompany me everywhere. I loaned it to a friend who used it on a song that charted locally but I got it back and still have and use it. What a perv.

(I also had a 1/2 size electric guitar I loaned out that got passed around to local school bands and made it to two more songs that charted, MILL VALLEY [heard around the SF Bay Area] and OH HAPPY DAY [which got national play]. I never got that axe back, grr. But I digress.)

The signs of instrument withdrawal: Twitchy fingers for any fingered axe; I sometime jones on ocarina and keyboard. Twitchy lips if one plays wind / brass instruments. Sweaty forehead and fingers -- probably sweaty toes for pedal players. Nervous shakes, finger twitching and snapping, chord forming and flute fingering. Restless humming and subvocalizing. Spontaneous tuneless whistling. An urge to beat rhythms on anything within reach. (We have a bunch of Native American ollas (large pots) made of thin clay that I play like a tuned percussion band, and I tap pottery and glassworks in stores.) An urge to pick up a piece of paper and play it like a kazoo. All these occur when an instrument is not in my hands.

In the bright future we will all have cybernetic implants and other body transformations. I envisage a VL-Tone-like keyboard embedded in my left arm, my fingers hollowed-out to use as pan-pipes, and a holographic fretboard projected in front of me by ear-mounted lasers. I am ahead of my time.

I've played uke for over two years, but almost a year ago I started playing bass uke with my group The CC Strummers at the request of our leader Cali Rose. At first I played both, but the last 3-4 months we've done enough gigs that I have not been able to play my ukes. I'll sit there practicing bass with our set lists and look up at my display cabinet of ukes and feel very guilty that I haven't touched them. Sometimes the guilt forces me to put down the bass and strum a uke for awhile, but that does not happen often enough. I'm thinking of joining another group just to play uke, not even let them know I play bass.

You could say that, indeed. :)

I've been in and out of the hospital since labor day. I am going through withdrawals but don't have much strength in arms or voice.

Top Bottom