setup fees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am considering an entry level uke like Kala Makala Tenor Ukulele from Guitar Center. Is it worth the $40 they want for setup on this uke?
Thank you, Roger

I am considering an entry level uke like Kala Makala Tenor Ukulele from Guitar Center. Is it worth the $40 they want for setup on this uke?
Thank you, Roger

I would just order it from someone that includes the set up. I personally wouldn't want Guitar Center to set up my uke. I don't know much about guitar or Uke set ups, but I'm assuming there are differences, and I would prefer someone who specializes in ukuleles to set mine up. I've bought a couple Makalas from a chain music store and it's a crap shoot. One plays good, while the other was a huge disappointment.

Setup is definitely worth it, but not necessarily from Guitar Center. For the same money you'd pay (plus a bit more for shipping), you can upgrade to a Kala KA-T from Hawaiian Music Supply, they'll set it up better at no extra charge, and there's virtually no risk they'll send you a dud. Why settle?

I will not set foot in a Guitar Center again except to escape bad weather or use the restroom. The suggestions above are excellent.

Thank you, Roger

I have mixed feelings about getting a ukulele set up I think a lot depends on who it is for and what they intend to do with it. But you should judge for yourself:

Here is a video from HMS showing what they do when they set up an instrument and what they might need to do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elfo9xHPhZE
At one point in this video you can see he has to fix a buzz but that buzz was noticed after he slightly lowered the action so it may not have been there out of the box but it is gone by the time he finishes.

When he is asked about what the most common issues are on this video at 1:35 he says that most issues are cosmetic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWWAm8eJGig

I personally want to know what condition something I buy is in when it comes from the factory and what has been done to it.

And If I spend hours picking out the instrument that I think is perfect I don't want someone to take it to the back room and make changes before I am consulted. But when you are spending hundreds of dollars it is good to have someone who you can trust look over what you are buying. (and I have never heard a complaint from an HMS customer about the condition their uke arrived in)

Last edited:
Aloha and welcome to UU Roger. Glad you joined us.

I agree with the suggestion of getting the uke from HMS or Mim's Ukes or Ukulele Republic. They will screen out the bad instruments, set it up as a matter of course, and be there if you have any problems (and make it right)

Happy hunting and let us know what you get.

Thank you for all of the responses. I was looking at a uke from HMS but have a hard time paying shipping of $25. I do think you should go to the stores you can depend on to do do it right. I am an old dude, but in my younger days played piano, violin, guitar, and a little uke. I want to have a good experience with my uke, so your input Is appreciated. BTW I love this website. So much info, I can tell you are wanting to get it right.
Thank you, Roger

Mim, located in Virginia, is another top notch web dealer that does setup.

I've had very good work done by the West L.A. Guitar Center repair guy Jeff. He can setup a uke just as well as a guitar. Too bad the store is getting more and more empty of equipment and customers. I keep wondering if Guitar Center is getting ready to shut it's brick and mortar stores.

Last edited:
I was looking at a uke from HMS but have a hard time paying shipping of $25. I do think you should go to the stores you can depend on to do do it right.

Hello Roger, and welcome to UU. :) Happy to have you on board!

As for the $25 for shipping: Since HMS, Uke Republic and Mim include the setup for free, it's still cheaper than paying $40 in a regular store for just the setup. The real advantage is that with those places you buy from the experts who really do a proper and focused setup, and who will also not sell you duds. They are much more dependent on their reputation than a brickstone store as word of mouth about online stores travels quickly and has a strong impact in a relatively small, specialized field. In the end it'll be a better (and safer) deal even with the shipping costs in the picture.

The downside is that you can't try out the instrument you buy. Then again, if you stick with the hobby and may some day buy a high end ukulele, chances are that you also won't be able to try it out before buying (unless you travel to Hawaii or are in the rare and fortunate position to live near a place that sells the really good stuff). There are lots of video demonstrations around that may help, and folks here also tend to freely share their recommendations for brands and models, if you let them know what size, wood, and other features you're interested in (with a budget). :)

Thanks for the welcomes from all of you. I have not touched a musical instrument for many years, so the instrument I buy, I may not know enough to try it first anyway. I must admit, I joined a Uke class on a cruise to Hawaii, and the basic chords came right back, kind of like riding a bicycle. haha. My mother had a Uke and when I was young, I used to play it, along with my guitar. My interest now is basic, mostly to entertain myself, so a high end instrument is not in my near future. I have learned more from this website about the instruments, now to make a decision, but not hastily.
Thanks again, Roger

Last edited:
+1 on Mim - I've purchased from her, and a recommendation from Mike at Uke Republic - I've purchased from him too. Both did an excellent job on my new ukes before I got them. I have no experience with HMS but wouldn't hesitate to buy from them either.

I am now looking at a Kala KA-C Concert from HMS. Any comments on it? Maybe I will start a new thread, see if anyone has good/bad about this entry level Uke.
Roger

I don't think you can go wrong if you start out with a Kala. No matter where you get it or how it comes.

Hi and welcome to UU. As you can tell, we're enablers here!
You can't go wrong with a Kala from Mim's. I've bought three, and the Kala I bought will stay with me from now on. I wouldn't hesitate buying a uke from HMS, if Mim's can't get it for me.
Keep us posted....UU is a great resource!

I checked Mims website. They don't have Kala.
Thank you, Roger

Last edited:
Mim has an eBay store, mimsukes where you'll find all of her stock.
I started with a Kala concert laminate and still love it.
Welcome to UU.

To buy a Kala ukulele from Mim you have to use ebay. Type in "mim kala tenor ukulele" in the search blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom