Using iPad For Tune Library

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'd like to use my iPad for my carry around library of written tunes. What I mean is scaning in my sheet music, and Uke lead sheets. Do any of you do that, and if so, what app do you use for keeping the library?

I'm not talking about recorded music or videos. Just digital copies of my paper music sheets.

Last edited:
OnSong is pretty popular; however if you just want .pdfs, you can just sync them and read them native. OnSong is much more powerful than that.

I use an ipad for my sheet music. It's kind of the thing to do at the place I play. We all use "Good Reader." it's an app that you can get on itunes, etc. for $5 or less. I have a friend with a samsung tablet and she isn't able to use goodreader and complains that looking up every song in one big folder is kind of a pain. I like goodreader, it does what it should and it has editing capabilities for notes, etc. It even works on my ipad 1.

I use on song on my iPad. Works well. Like to be able to edit easily and transpose keys quickly. You can check out tutorials on utube to see if it's for you.

forScore is another good one

I use forScore as well. I haven't printed a song sheet in over a year! I also use a Bluetooth, foot switch, PDF page turner called AirTurn. A great combo

belonging to several Strum-along clubs, I was inundated with song sheets. I couldn't see getting an iPad or other smart phone with a large enough screen to function as a song book. A Nook was in the price range and screen size. It is working out fine. I simply load that current meeting's song in pdf form and access as needed at the meeting. My home computer is the primary library from which I add to or delete from the Nook. I put together the legs and pole of a broken music stand and a picture frame to use with the Nook. Now my reading light is used for books and inspection of the inside of ukuleles.
If I were to make the same transition now I would probably use a 17" ChromeBook with touch screen.

I used an iPad with both OnSong and FourScore with a foot control, but the 9.7" screen was not big enough for me. Even though I'm a total Apple user, when I found MusicSheets (and Pro) for Android, and a 13.3" Hannspree 1280x830 tablet for $150 at Amazon, I decided to go for it. I'm also a graphic designer and do music sheets myself on a MacBook Pro, export as PDF and transfer to the tablet with Dropbox. Been working great for me for months now. I even bought a second Hannspree in case mine dies.

Last edited:
Low tech, high tech. Write it out and take a photo with the iPad camera. Store it in a folder in photos. Will that work for you?

I've been looking into MuseScore, since it also has versions for Win/Mac/Linux and Android, in addition to iOS. It's mostly free, too. But I haven't dug deeply into it yet. For regular PDFs, I use Good Reader. It was the best option some four or so years ago, and I never felt the need to look for something else.

I use ForScore both for song sheets and sheet music. Its indexing features and the ability to set up set lists are very useful. If someone brings a new tune to band practice, I will photo it to use at once, then tidy it up later to put in ForScore. I try to keep everything one page in length so I don't have to worry about page turns, though I try to learn stuff I'm definitely performing so I can manage without any form of sheet music. I'm OK most of the time but there are occasional times when I need to refer to the music/lyrics.

Last edited:
Ditto what Bill said. Indexing is impt when you have a ton of music, as is making set lists and for me one-touch transposing is impt when I go to a jam and guitarist often play in different keys. I also like to be able to edit down to one page, adjusting font size and line spacing as needed. Onsong does have adjustable speed scrolling tho, if needed for really long songs.

I've been using Forscore and iBooks. The former didn't feel like an intuitive fit and the later too limited. Thanks to your suggestion of Goodreaders (more affordable than OnSong) I've moved my pdfs there and am finding it just the app for me!

I used an iPad with both OnSong and FourScore with a foot control, but the 9.7" screen was not big enough for me. Even though I'm a total Apple user, when I found MusicSheets (and Pro) for a Android and a 13.3" Hannspree 1280x830 tablet for $150 at Amazon, I decided to go for it. I'm also a graphic designer and do my music sheets myself on a MacBook Pro, export as PDF and transfer to the tablet with Dropbox. Been working great for me for months now. I even bought a second Hannspree in case mine dies.

Like others have said, I use ForScore as well.

As to the iPad size, I have been using my iPad but as I get older, my eyes would prefer something larger so I am contemplating the iPad Pro coming out in November.

OK guys, after looking at all the suggestions, and checking out tutorials online, etc., I've purchased OnSong along with its add-ons. It really has a lot of bells and whistles. I'm just starting to figure it out. I have two songs in it so far.

Is there something cheaper for the iPad than on song that can create your own song lead sheets with chords?

Is there something cheaper for the iPad than on song that can create your own song lead sheets with chords?

ForScore is cheaper than OnSong though I create all my song sheets externally, save them as pdf and import them into ForScore.

I also have free App called PGSongBook which will import song sheets in Chord Pro format and display them as lyrics with chords above and will scroll the song. It has a built in editor and support for chord pro tags so you can create your song sheets from scratch or edit and correct ones you've imported.

I don't think it will handle notation, though

I don't use it much, though as It's not as flexible as ForScore and I have problems getting the scrolling speed right.

Last edited:
I am not an Apple fan and have bought a cheap 10" android tablet which works well. The big plus point over an ipad is the ability to add an external memory card and swap them at will. This gives a limitless number of tunes/ scores that can be stored. My wife plays flute and deals with proper music scores. She can get almost everything in pdf format so we have gone the pdf route. There are a number of free pdf readers for android - we have downloaded two - ezpdfreader and ebookdroid. We use one each which makes it simpler in the library for each one. I bought a cheap mike stand and mount the tablet on the top on a good quality holder - a mike stand is difficult to knock over. We also have a page turner which works well with both software programmes. I reckon it is the way forward but having only had the setup for a couple of weeks we have a long way to go yet!

Top Bottom