Concert Flea and a 42 degree morning gig

deschutestrout

Reaction score
I recently got a concert Flea as part of a sale/trade deal, and I totally dig this uke! Friday I had a gig for Cycle Oregon (huge, long, annual bike tour through Oregon...a couple thousand bicyclists).

They are totally organized and have music at every rest stop, lunch break, and full stage at night with several performers. Way cool.

This year I had the 8:30am rest stop, 42 degrees (one of the coldest mornings in this HOT summer we've experienced). 42 degrees to start ... about 65 and sunny 3 hours later...me playing for the duration.

My 70's Yamaha laminate FG guitar held it's tune, and the Flea did as well (didn't have to re-tune either, which blew me away, given the changing temps). I had several see the Flea and ask about it...in an admiring way. I was totally impressed with how it held its own in cold temps, and sounded great! Played an extra hour for them as it is one of the funnest gigs I've ever done.

Buy a Flea. You'll be glad you did.

Good to know!

Forty-two degrees Fahrenheit, not Celsius, I hope. ;) Neither is a most comfortable temperature for fingering fretboards.

Quite a few Fleas have passed through my hands. I loved every one. They are easy-playing ukes at any time, and I agree, their durability and stability are great for outdoor situations. I played several over the years at campfires, etc. I love my current uke - Mainland red cedar concert. But I wouldn't take it out in a very cold or hot environment.

Thanks for sharing; glad you enjoyed the gig so much! :D

It keeps getting better. I'm a river guide on the Deschutes in Oregon, and had a three day trip. I hadn't touched the Flea since this gig. I put it in my boat on a 45 degree morning, temps reached about 85 during the day, and down to 50 the first night .... back up to 80. Second evening of the trip I pulled the Flea out to play a bit ... it was SPOT ON in tune ... same as I'd left it after the 42 degree gig. I was more than amazed. Impressive. I owned a Clara for a while (recently traded) ... I'm very curious whether she would have needed retuned after a week of major temperature swings. I'm totally diggin' this Flea!

I got a concert Flea just a few hours ago. Have to say, what a fantastic uke. Not as sweet a sound as my Moana, but pretty loud :rock: . I absolutely love it!

Top Bottom