I'm done...no Uke for YOU!!! (er, me that is)

Booli

Reaction score
Yep.

It's true. It's all over now...

I'm now on the injured list.

See photo:

AZCkatG.png

This afternoon I cut my finger on the inside of the mouth of an aluminum can (not a beer can, but flavored seltzer). Sliced off a nice thread of skin too.

Be happy for the tiny, slightly out-of-focus photo (I will not admit that fuzzy photo was done on purpose to spare you from seeing the gore).

This is the pointer finger of my fretting hand. So I cannot play for at least a week. The cut is deep and hurts like hell.

Already cleaned with soaking in H202 (peroxide) and went through 4 ice cubes to keep the swelling down, and also took some aspiring.

Tonight it gets Neopsorin. But my cuts take a long time to heal. Just all so bad.

Bad, bad bad. :( I cannot deal with having an injury like this!

I am NOT happy. I have not yet tried to play since I don't want to tear it open.

-Booli

Oh wow, man, did you have to call 911? Don't you think it should have sutures? And a dressing? How long did the Dr say you have to wait to use it again?

Argh! I hate it when that happens. When I cut my finger on my right hand cleaning some caulking from our tub with a razor blade my first thought was "can I still play??" I used superglue to seal it all up and managed to keep strumming but it would have been better if i had waited.

Neosporin and and or liquid bandage will help speed that healing. Sorry Booli!

Oh wow, man, did you have to call 911? Don't you think it should have sutures? And a dressing? How long did the Dr say you have to wait to use it again?

Thanks Nickie, but no, no Dr. today.

I've had worse cuts, and they heal, in time.

To call 911 unless you are dying or bleeding to death would be frowned upon, and since you are a nurse, Nickie, I will take that as a joke, and thank you for the laugh :)

To go to the local emergency room on a Sunday, for a small cut means I would be waiting for HOURS, just for them to take my information,and then HOURS again to be seen probably by a 1st yr intern, and in the end, probably they'll not do anything more than what I did for myself already.

I don't want sutures (yet), lets see if and how it heals first.

I'm just more really upset that I cannot play now, when I need it the most, to deal with insane levels of toxic stress going on around me that I cannot otherwise get away from...:(

Argh! I hate it when that happens. When I cut my finger on my right hand cleaning some caulking from our tub with a razor blade my first thought was "can I still play??" I used superglue to seal it all up and managed to keep strumming but it would have been better if i had waited.

Neosporin and and or liquid bandage will help speed that healing. Sorry Booli!

Thanks for your kind words.

I just wish I could play now. A bandaid will only impair me further and cause lots of frustration if I cannot feel the string under my finger. Maybe liquid bandaid or NuSkin would help, but I cant get some until tomorrow.

Ouch! That looks painful!

Have you tried delegating fretting tasks to your other three fingers, as if you were using your pointer finger as a barre to play up the neck? To make an F, for example, you could put your middle finger (instead of your pointer finger) on the first fret of the E string and your ring finger (instead of your middle finger) on the third fret of the G string. In one of my Hawaiian music classes, we do an exercise where we change key by using the pointer finger as a capo and then playing in the chord pattern of the song in its original key (so that playing, say, Puamana using the chord chapes in the key of C, but with my pointer finger capoing on the second fret, results in playing Puamana in D). it messes with your brain a bit, but as with everything else, my brain has adjusted.

I hope you heal quickly.

What a bummer. Sometimes a few days break does one good. Speedy healing!

Super glue man,, middle finger or thumb maybe,
Bondo :) yup so sorry to hear, i ripped my index fingernail a few weeks ago

Don't slice any lemons! I'm like you, my skin heals very slowly. The worst is when you find a slice on your finger and you don't know when or where it happened.

So sorry to hear this. I know how bad that can be, take care, don't jump in too soon, let it heal.

Yep.

It's true. It's all over now...

I'm now on the injured list.

See photo:

AZCkatG.png

This afternoon I cut my finger on the inside of the mouth of an aluminum can (not a beer can, but flavored seltzer). Sliced off a nice thread of skin too.

Be happy for the tiny, slightly out-of-focus photo (I will not admit that fuzzy photo was done on purpose to spare you from seeing the gore).

This is the pointer finger of my fretting hand. So I cannot play for at least a week. The cut is deep and hurts like hell.

Already cleaned with soaking in H202 (peroxide) and went through 4 ice cubes to keep the swelling down, and also took some aspiring.

Tonight it gets Neopsorin. But my cuts take a long time to heal. Just all so bad.

Bad, bad bad. :( I cannot deal with having an injury like this!

I am NOT happy. I have not yet tried to play since I don't want to tear it open.

-Booli

I actually started playing ukulele because of an injury. I lost a piece of my pinky on my fretting hand. Ukulele helped me to get strenght and dexterity back. It can't get my finger back as it was but it can work pretty well. Uke rehab.

I've been careful (and quite lucky) not to damage my fretting hand for quite some time. Facing the prospect, I'd probably grab something steel-stringed, tune it open, and play with a slide. Or go back to dulcimer. Or resign myself to harmonicas for a while. Heal fast, man!

So sorry, Booli! Agree with all here - take your time with this.

Maybe this is a good time to look at some uke books without the uke in your hand. Sometimes this helps me to see things I might otherwise miss.

Ice won't hurt. Neither will holding that hand and finger and visualizing it bathed in white light. Will be sending you all good wishes!

Yup, when I was a young'un I used stick my finger into things too. Then I learned that some of those things could bite me, so I quit doing it. Maybe it's time?

Well, there is an option. Get the Aquila 30U soprano/concert string set (GDAE fifths), string up a uke with these strings and try fifths. There are a lot of two-finger chords available (could use middle and ring fingers) as this is one of many charts showing some (http://www.tennesseesounds.com/Articles.asp?ID=252).

Top Bottom