PDA

View Full Version : I'm done...no Uke for YOU!!! (er, me that is)

Booli
09-20-2015, 05:10 PM
Yep.

It's true. It's all over now...

I'm now on the injured list.

See photo:

http://i.imgur.com/AZCkatG.png

This afternoon I cut my finger on the inside of the mouth of an aluminum can (not a beer can, but flavored seltzer). Sliced off a nice thread of skin too.

Be happy for the tiny, slightly out-of-focus photo (I will not admit that fuzzy photo was done on purpose to spare you from seeing the gore).

This is the pointer finger of my fretting hand. So I cannot play for at least a week. The cut is deep and hurts like hell.

Already cleaned with soaking in H202 (peroxide) and went through 4 ice cubes to keep the swelling down, and also took some aspiring.

Tonight it gets Neopsorin. But my cuts take a long time to heal. Just all so bad.

Bad, bad bad. :( I cannot deal with having an injury like this!

I am NOT happy. I have not yet tried to play since I don't want to tear it open.

-Booli

Nickie
09-20-2015, 05:17 PM
Oh wow, man, did you have to call 911? Don't you think it should have sutures? And a dressing? How long did the Dr say you have to wait to use it again?

librainian
09-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Argh! I hate it when that happens. When I cut my finger on my right hand cleaning some caulking from our tub with a razor blade my first thought was "can I still play??" I used superglue to seal it all up and managed to keep strumming but it would have been better if i had waited.

Neosporin and and or liquid bandage will help speed that healing. Sorry Booli!

Booli
09-20-2015, 05:29 PM
Oh wow, man, did you have to call 911? Don't you think it should have sutures? And a dressing? How long did the Dr say you have to wait to use it again?

Thanks Nickie, but no, no Dr. today.

I've had worse cuts, and they heal, in time.

To call 911 unless you are dying or bleeding to death would be frowned upon, and since you are a nurse, Nickie, I will take that as a joke, and thank you for the laugh :)

To go to the local emergency room on a Sunday, for a small cut means I would be waiting for HOURS, just for them to take my information,and then HOURS again to be seen probably by a 1st yr intern, and in the end, probably they'll not do anything more than what I did for myself already.

I don't want sutures (yet), lets see if and how it heals first.

I'm just more really upset that I cannot play now, when I need it the most, to deal with insane levels of toxic stress going on around me that I cannot otherwise get away from...:(

Booli
09-20-2015, 05:31 PM
Argh! I hate it when that happens. When I cut my finger on my right hand cleaning some caulking from our tub with a razor blade my first thought was "can I still play??" I used superglue to seal it all up and managed to keep strumming but it would have been better if i had waited.

Neosporin and and or liquid bandage will help speed that healing. Sorry Booli!

Thanks for your kind words.

I just wish I could play now. A bandaid will only impair me further and cause lots of frustration if I cannot feel the string under my finger. Maybe liquid bandaid or NuSkin would help, but I cant get some until tomorrow.

mds725
09-20-2015, 06:00 PM
Ouch! That looks painful!

Have you tried delegating fretting tasks to your other three fingers, as if you were using your pointer finger as a barre to play up the neck? To make an F, for example, you could put your middle finger (instead of your pointer finger) on the first fret of the E string and your ring finger (instead of your middle finger) on the third fret of the G string. In one of my Hawaiian music classes, we do an exercise where we change key by using the pointer finger as a capo and then playing in the chord pattern of the song in its original key (so that playing, say, Puamana using the chord chapes in the key of C, but with my pointer finger capoing on the second fret, results in playing Puamana in D). it messes with your brain a bit, but as with everything else, my brain has adjusted.

I hope you heal quickly.

Ukulele Eddie
09-20-2015, 06:57 PM
What a bummer. Sometimes a few days break does one good. Speedy healing!

mm stan
09-20-2015, 06:59 PM
Super glue man,, middle finger or thumb maybe,
Bondo :) yup so sorry to hear, i ripped my index fingernail a few weeks ago

hollisdwyer
09-20-2015, 07:07 PM
Don't slice any lemons! I'm like you, my skin heals very slowly. The worst is when you find a slice on your finger and you don't know when or where it happened.

kohanmike
09-20-2015, 08:13 PM
So sorry to hear this. I know how bad that can be, take care, don't jump in too soon, let it heal.

Jerwin
09-20-2015, 08:50 PM
Yep.

It's true. It's all over now...

I'm now on the injured list.

See photo:

http://i.imgur.com/AZCkatG.png

This afternoon I cut my finger on the inside of the mouth of an aluminum can (not a beer can, but flavored seltzer). Sliced off a nice thread of skin too.

Be happy for the tiny, slightly out-of-focus photo (I will not admit that fuzzy photo was done on purpose to spare you from seeing the gore).

This is the pointer finger of my fretting hand. So I cannot play for at least a week. The cut is deep and hurts like hell.

Already cleaned with soaking in H202 (peroxide) and went through 4 ice cubes to keep the swelling down, and also took some aspiring.

Tonight it gets Neopsorin. But my cuts take a long time to heal. Just all so bad.

Bad, bad bad. :( I cannot deal with having an injury like this!

I am NOT happy. I have not yet tried to play since I don't want to tear it open.

-Booli

I actually started playing ukulele because of an injury. I lost a piece of my pinky on my fretting hand. Ukulele helped me to get strenght and dexterity back. It can't get my finger back as it was but it can work pretty well. Uke rehab.

Brian1
09-20-2015, 08:55 PM
two words :

barre chords !

Mivo
09-20-2015, 10:43 PM
A good time for a recommendation of Samantha Muir's free The Art of Arpeggios (http://samanthamuir.com/ukulele-2/free-the-art-of-arpeggios.html) e-book of exercises that only use the right hand!

k0k0peli
09-20-2015, 11:03 PM
I've been careful (and quite lucky) not to damage my fretting hand for quite some time. Facing the prospect, I'd probably grab something steel-stringed, tune it open, and play with a slide. Or go back to dulcimer. Or resign myself to harmonicas for a while. Heal fast, man!

turtledrum
09-21-2015, 12:46 AM
So sorry, Booli! Agree with all here - take your time with this.

Maybe this is a good time to look at some uke books without the uke in your hand. Sometimes this helps me to see things I might otherwise miss.

Ice won't hurt. Neither will holding that hand and finger and visualizing it bathed in white light. Will be sending you all good wishes!

VegasGeorge
09-21-2015, 01:13 AM
Yup, when I was a young'un I used stick my finger into things too. Then I learned that some of those things could bite me, so I quit doing it. Maybe it's time?

bonesigh
09-21-2015, 02:22 AM
Ugh, that stinks Booli! My friend sliced her finger cutting a watermellon recently (same finger as you). She learned to play pretty well with just 3 fingers so, you can do it! Smile and play on!!

Cassie
09-21-2015, 02:34 AM
Aw. Don't worry. Maybe you could put something on it to protect it. You can continue as long as it's protected and clean..

SteveZ
09-21-2015, 02:45 AM
Well, there is an option. Get the Aquila 30U soprano/concert string set (GDAE fifths), string up a uke with these strings and try fifths. There are a lot of two-finger chords available (could use middle and ring fingers) as this is one of many charts showing some (http://www.tennesseesounds.com/Articles.asp?ID=252).

VegasGeorge
09-21-2015, 02:50 AM
It just occurred to me that a little super glue covering the wound might toughen it up enough to allow you to play.

DaveY
09-21-2015, 03:57 AM
I hope the finger heals soon. Meanwhile, look for two-chord songs with just Am7 and C6.

Rllink
09-21-2015, 05:25 AM
I'm thinking that by the time it heals, your moniker will be barr chord Booli.

greenie44
09-21-2015, 06:00 AM

Have you tried delegating fretting tasks to your other three fingers, as if you were using your pointer finger as a barre to play up the neck? To make an F, for example, you could put your middle finger (instead of your pointer finger) on the first fret of the E string and your ring finger (instead of your middle finger) on the third fret of the G string. In one of my Hawaiian music classes, we do an exercise where we change key by using the pointer finger as a capo and then playing in the chord pattern of the song in its original key (so that playing, say, Puamana using the chord chapes in the key of C, but with my pointer finger capoing on the second fret, results in playing Puamana in D). it messes with your brain a bit, but as with everything else, my brain has adjusted.

I hope you heal quickly.

In fact, Booli, this is a gift. When Kimo Hussey teaches uke classes, he typically forces students to use their three lower fingers to play all chords. Once you get good at this, you can use your pointer finger exclusively for capoing, as Mark says, and have complete freedom to move up and down the neck.

As long as it doesn't hurt you to hold that finger up while you play.

pbagley
09-21-2015, 06:15 AM
Agreeing with mds725 and greenie44. Years ago I was doing some little home improvement project, driving a screw with a cordless drill, and it slipped. I still have the little phillips head scar on the pad my left middle finger to remind me of the day. Of course I had bass gigs coming up. I learned to play using left hand fingers 1, 3, and 4 as quickly as I could. It all healed up eventually and I use mostly 1, 2, and 4 these days. Learning to work around the injured finger was a good skill builder.

Good luck, and heal well.

CactusWren
09-21-2015, 06:19 AM
That is rough, Booli. Thankfully it's not worse.

I have not been able to play my uke for about 2 weeks, either. Painful...

TheCraftedCow
09-21-2015, 09:01 AM

I hope you heal quickly.

Break open a Vitamin E capsule and apply some of it to the cut. It does promote healing with minimizing scarring. Also, read page 11 of Jim Beloff's The Daily Uke where he talks of the THE PINKY G. You can continue to play and baring using a barred chord, you can do everything but B chord forms and diminished. You could also retune to FCFA or GCEG and lay it across you lap and use a DULL table knife handle as a steel, and play slack key, lap steel style.

One of my classroom aides used to say " pain is your friend..it let's you know when you have been stupid " No, I didn't rip out his tongue or anything like that, I retired. Yes, we are still friends.

Brian1
09-21-2015, 09:10 AM
I hope the finger heals soon. Meanwhile, look for two-chord songs with just Am7 and C6.

LOL :rofl:!

GinnyT11
09-21-2015, 11:01 AM
Sorry, Booli. A bummer indeed.
I like the idea of putting a Band-aid on it while you try to play what you can with the other three fingers. (The Band-aid will keep you from unconsciously using the hurt finger.)

CeeJay
09-21-2015, 02:39 PM
Barre chord practice and fret with the other three...I know it's been said before but I'm saying it again......OR tune to an open chord and get a bottlee neck slide and practice that ....it's all positives from the negatives...oh and try not to slice your finger again , and here is a bit of advice for everybody .....learn to strum with the other digits on your picking / strumming hand....seriously .

Jim Hanks
09-21-2015, 03:05 PM
Wasn't it Django Rheinhart who did all right with 3 fingers and 6 strings? Surely you can do well with only 4 strings. :p :nana: hoping for a quick recovery.

CeeJay
09-21-2015, 03:48 PM
Django, whose records then inspired Tony Iommi who sliced off his fretting finger tips on the day he was leaving work to join Black Sabbath as lead guitarist to continue !!

tangimango
09-21-2015, 11:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw8AokyOh3Y

Rllink
09-22-2015, 06:02 AM
Just after reading this thread, and feeling the pain for Booli, I burned my fretting fingers on a hot vase that I was trying to get a bunch of melted candle wax out of. Luckily, they feel a lot less tender today

Debby
09-22-2015, 06:29 AM
Booli, how is the finger today!! Is it healing quicker than you thought it would?

Booli
09-22-2015, 03:02 PM

I hope you heal quickly.

Thanks for the kind words. I will take what you suggested and try to work through the healing. Hopefully it will help me to become a more versatile player, I had nor previously thought there was any upside, but doing as you suggest will expand my technique with something I would not have done otherwise prior to this injury.

Booli
09-22-2015, 03:09 PM
What a bummer. Sometimes a few days break does one good. Speedy healing!

Thanks for the kind words Eddie! :)

Super glue man,, middle finger or thumb maybe,
Bondo :) yup so sorry to hear, i ripped my index fingernail a few weeks ago

Lori Appthorp once recommended 'Rock Tips' for me when my calluses were breaking in, and I used it, it's a form of CA glue, but apparently not too poisonous and does not burn like normal Super Glue, so maybe if I have some left, I can try that for this injury.

Don't slice any lemons! I'm like you, my skin heals very slowly. The worst is when you find a slice on your finger and you don't know when or where it happened.

HA HA. We had fish for dinner tonight and the garnish was sliced lemons. I thought of you when I was about to squeeze the lemon, but used my other hand to avoid the citric acid getting into the cut, so thanks for the heads up.

So sorry to hear this. I know how bad that can be, take care, don't jump in too soon, let it heal.

Yes, that's the hard part, to be patient. The problem with not playing as often as possible is that my neuropathy and RA gets incementally worse from apathy of my fingers and playing ukulele is the natural solution for me with that, for when I play every day, the neuro/RA pain goes and stays away, but after 5 days of no playing ukulele, it feels like I'm wearing mittens all the time.

Booli
09-22-2015, 03:36 PM
WOW, I had no idea my post would get so much attention from all of you fine folks!

I am overwhelmed and very moved and honored by your support and encouragement.

two words :

barre chords !

I guess no time like the present to get into those moveable chord shapes all over the neck...

A good time for a recommendation of Samantha Muir's free The Art of Arpeggios (http://samanthamuir.com/ukulele-2/free-the-art-of-arpeggios.html) e-book of exercises that only use the right hand!

I was unaware of her book, and have long admired her playing. I'm gonna try to check that out. Thanks!

I've been careful (and quite lucky) not to damage my fretting hand for quite some time. Facing the prospect, I'd probably grab something steel-stringed, tune it open, and play with a slide. Or go back to dulcimer. Or resign myself to harmonicas for a while. Heal fast, man!

Thanks. i was trying to avoid damaging the nails on my plucking/strumming hand, and thus reached with the fretting hand, and the lesson is ideally, that BOTH hands need to remain free from injury.

So sorry, Booli! Agree with all here - take your time with this.

Maybe this is a good time to look at some uke books without the uke in your hand. Sometimes this helps me to see things I might otherwise miss.

Ice won't hurt. Neither will holding that hand and finger and visualizing it bathed in white light. Will be sending you all good wishes!

These are great ideas. Thanks for your compassion.

Yup, when I was a young'un I used stick my finger into things too. Then I learned that some of those things could bite me, so I quit doing it. Maybe it's time?

Yea, I grew out of sticking forks and paper clips into electrical sockets at an early age, and some might say that it's a miracle that I survived past that time. :)

Ugh, that stinks Booli! My friend sliced her finger cutting a watermellon recently (same finger as you). She learned to play pretty well with just 3 fingers so, you can do it! Smile and play on!!

Thanks, I will try!

Well, there is an option. Get the Aquila 30U soprano/concert string set (GDAE fifths), string up a uke with these strings and try fifths. There are a lot of two-finger chords available (could use middle and ring fingers) as this is one of many charts showing some (http://www.tennesseesounds.com/Articles.asp?ID=252).

Yes, fifths tuning has been on my todo list for some time, but I might have to accelerate the timetable and get a set of these strings for sooner rather than later. Thanks for the link to the chord information, as I'm sure to need a good starting point for fifths tuning.

It just occurred to me that a little super glue covering the wound might toughen it up enough to allow you to play.

I might have some 'Rock Tips' left, which is a type of super glue but formulated similar that the army triage 'liquid bandaid' formula so it does not burn if it gets into the open skin, and I might try that if I can find the little bottle I had. I worked well for working up my calluses when I started playing a lot.

Yes, I will try that to, thanks for the suggestion.

I'm thinking that by the time it heals, your moniker will be barr chord Booli.

Maybe, depends how frustrated I get when trying to practice.

In fact, Booli, this is a gift. When Kimo Hussey teaches uke classes, he typically forces students to use their three lower fingers to play all chords. Once you get good at this, you can use your pointer finger exclusively for capoing, as Mark says, and have complete freedom to move up and down the neck. As long as it doesn't hurt you to hold that finger up while you play.

It almost sounds like learning this technique will unlock some master level skill with the fretting hand, and could be extremely useful and versatile. I'll have to look in to this.

Agreeing with mds725 and greenie44. Years ago I was doing some little home improvement project, driving a screw with a cordless drill, and it slipped. I still have the little phillips head scar on the pad my left middle finger to remind me of the day. Of course I had bass gigs coming up. I learned to play using left hand fingers 1, 3, and 4 as quickly as I could. It all healed up eventually and I use mostly 1, 2, and 4 these days. Learning to work around the injured finger was a good skill builder.

Good luck, and heal well.

Thank you.

That is rough, Booli. Thankfully it's not worse.

I have not been able to play my uke for about 2 weeks, either. Painful...

Worse? Don't say it. Kill me now. (j/k)

Break open a Vitamin E capsule and apply some of it to the cut. It does promote healing with minimizing scarring. Also, read page 11 of Jim Beloff's The Daily Uke where he talks of the THE PINKY G. You can continue to play and baring using a barred chord, you can do everything but B chord forms and diminished. You could also retune to FCFA or GCEG and lay it across you lap and use a DULL table knife handle as a steel, and play slack key, lap steel style.

One of my classroom aides used to say " pain is your friend..it let's you know when you have been stupid " No, I didn't rip out his tongue or anything like that, I retired. Yes, we are still friends.

Great ideas there, thanks for the suggestions.

Sorry, Booli. A bummer indeed.
I like the idea of putting a Band-aid on it while you try to play what you can with the other three fingers. (The Band-aid will keep you from unconsciously using the hurt finger.)

Yes, it's been two days now and I'm really gonna need to keep a band-aid on for like a week or so. Anything that touches the cut and it hurts bad, so I have keep it protected. Neosporin on the inside of the band-aid pad before it goes on. Thanks Ginny!

Barre chord practice and fret with the other three...I know it's been said before but I'm saying it again......OR tune to an open chord and get a bottlee neck slide and practice that ....it's all positives from the negatives...oh and try not to slice your finger again , and here is a bit of advice for everybody .....learn to strum with the other digits on your picking / strumming hand....seriously .

That might work, or maybe I will try to play upside-down lefty, like the way Jimi Hendrix did. What do you think?

Wasn't it Django Rheinhart who did all right with 3 fingers and 6 strings? Surely you can do well with only 4 strings. :p :nana: hoping for a quick recovery.

Django, whose records then inspired Tony Iommi who sliced off his fretting finger tips on the day he was leaving work to join Black Sabbath as lead guitarist to continue !!

Yep Django - one of my heroes. More inspiration from him, especially now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw8AokyOh3Y

WOW, that guy is playing with knuckle stubs or something. I am very impressed and now feel bad for complaining. I guess it's all a matter of perspective, one again proving that everything is relative, and no matter how bad your life is, it can ALWAYS be worse, for certain.

Just after reading this thread, and feeling the pain for Booli, I burned my fretting fingers on a hot vase that I was trying to get a bunch of melted candle wax out of. Luckily, they feel a lot less tender today

I've learned that the BEST thing for a burn is to put ice on IMMEDIATELY, and keep the ice on past the pain until the area is totally numb. The cold works against your body's natural reaction to flood the area with antibodies and cause swelling (and those terrible blisters), and the dead blood cells are also soothed by the cold. Basically it reverses the entropy caused by the burn, and in fact healing is much faster if you can get ice on right way and keep it on for as long as necessary. Usually within a day or two, I barely feel the burn if I got ice on it soon enough. Sorry you burned your hand. Hope it heals fast!

Booli
09-22-2015, 03:41 PM
Booli, how is the finger today!! Is it healing quicker than you thought it would?

Debby, thanks for asking. I appreciate your concern.

It's still sore. and the skin is still split, but hurts less and appears to be healing slowly, as expected.. Tomorrow I will try to put some NuSKin or liquid bandage on it, otherwise a band-aid.

Since I could not play for the past few days, I worked on getting my web site up and running, which I posted about over in the 'Shameless Self Promotion' area over here:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?110562-My-new-web-site-is-online-now-YAY!

turtledrum
09-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Hoping tomorrow is even better for you, Booli!

mm stan
09-22-2015, 05:52 PM
Hey booli , ive found what you need. http://www.banggood.com/4-In-1-Guitar-Fingertip-Protectors-Silicone-Finger-Guards-For-Ukulele-p-991059.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc_elc&utm_content=cherise&utm_campaign=musical-guard-sm2-us-r-5565&utm_design=40:)

Booli
09-22-2015, 07:12 PM
Hey booli , ive found what you need. http://www.banggood.com/4-In-1-Guitar-Fingertip-Protectors-Silicone-Finger-Guards-For-Ukulele-p-991059.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc_elc&utm_content=cherise&utm_campaign=musical-guard-sm2-us-r-5565&utm_design=40:)

those are pretty cool!

too bad they dont come all the same color, or in a flesh-tone color, but they just might do the trick, however it says 'Expected restock on 5th October 2015' and then free shipping from China warehouse is 7-20 business days!!!!!

Maybe I can find them locally, otherwise by Halloween time my finger will likely be healed already...

thanks for finding these. :)

Booli
09-25-2015, 09:10 AM
I'm on the mend - YAY!

Five days later, and no pain any more, and the wound is healing nicely. See photo below:

http://i.imgur.com/OewMMin.png

I just tried to play a little and it's ok now, no pain to fret the strings. Can't wait to practice later on this evening.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your kind words during this troubling time.

LDS714
09-25-2015, 09:12 AM
Slap some liquid bandage on that puppy and go for it!

Rllink
09-25-2015, 10:10 AM
those are pretty cool!

too bad they dont come all the same color, or in a flesh-tone color, but they just might do the trick, however it says 'Expected restock on 5th October 2015' and then free shipping from China warehouse is 7-20 business days!!!!!

Maybe I can find them locally, otherwise by Halloween time my finger will likely be healed already...

thanks for finding these. :)
I think that I saw something like that in a fabric store that my wife goes to. I think that they were in the quilting section. Pushing needles through fabric hours on end is as hard on the fingers as playing the ukulele.

Booli
09-25-2015, 11:29 AM
I think that I saw something like that in a fabric store that my wife goes to. I think that they were in the quilting section. Pushing needles through fabric hours on end is as hard on the fingers as playing the ukulele.

I think I've seen them, like silicone rubber thimbles...

Maybe I will get some in case this happens again. I was considering cutting the tips off some blue nomex rubber gloves, but did not have the time yet to try it.

turtledrum
09-25-2015, 12:13 PM
Glad you are back in action, Booli!

mm stan
09-25-2015, 03:04 PM
I'm on the mend - YAY!

Five days later, and no pain any more, and the wound is healing nicely. See photo below:

http://i.imgur.com/OewMMin.png

I just tried to play a little and it's ok now, no pain to fret the strings. Can't wait to practice later on this evening.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your kind words during this troubling time.
I can stitch thst for you
Of course im no doctor though, and no anesthetic
So you could drink a half bottle of jack then

Nickie
09-25-2015, 03:33 PM
Yay! I'm so glad you'll be playing soon!

Booli
09-25-2015, 03:39 PM
I can stitch thst for you
Of course im no doctor though, and no anesthetic
So you could drink a half bottle of jack then

Yea, that sounds about right, JD is my preferred form of 'anesthesia' LOL :)

(as long as I have 3 days to recover from the severe hangover :rock::wallbash:

It's actually healed almost all the way thru to the calluses, I'm surprised, since typically a wound this deep takes like 2 weeks, but there must be something going on with all the empathy and happy thoughts of ukulele mojo from my fellow UU brethren, for which I will be eternally grateful.

Booli
09-25-2015, 03:40 PM
Yay! I'm so glad you'll be playing soon!

Thanks Nickie! I always knew I could count on you :)