PDA

View Full Version : Fingering positions

Snupple
09-20-2015, 08:08 PM
Hi,

Quick couple of questions ..

1) Whats a good site for finding the best finger positions for a particular chord?

2) On ukulele-chords, when you look at a particular chord there is a section that has some "Alternative <chord name> positions". Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't the chords sound different then?

Cheers

kypfer
09-20-2015, 09:33 PM
Hi,

1) Whats a good site for finding the best finger positions for a particular chord?

2) On ukulele-chords, when you look at a particular chord there is a section that has some "Alternative <chord name> positions". Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't the chords sound different then?

Cheers
Can't help with a web-site, I'm afraid, my learning has come from accrued knowledge from many books whilst playing the guitar, mostly, but as to your other question ... yes, they'll sound different, which is often the whole point, to allow one to introduce a modicum of variety so tunes in the same key don't "all sound the same!!".

There can also be occasions where a particular chord shape is easier to "play into" or "play from", depending on which chord shape came before or after ;)

Enjoy ... it'll all make sense eventually :)

Brian1
09-20-2015, 10:17 PM
Hi,

Cheers

http://ukulelehunt.com/2009/04/22/e-chord-ukulele/
Above is a link to 10 ways to play the "E" chord.

Is there a particular chord you are looking for or is this a question in general.

Once you are comfortable with barre chord shapes you can finger a major chord with all four basic shapes somewhere on the ukulele but the differnt shapes put the notes that make up the chord in a different order and that makes the chord sound a little bit different. (you have to pick the best one for the music you are playing) Minor Chords are made up of mostly three basic shapes that are a little different. (the good news is they follow a pattern that is pretty simple)

This book(or one like it) although is a little advanced for a true beginner will show you how to find the chords in different places on the ukulele.
http://liveukulele.com/chords/ukulele-chord-shapes-e-book/

Mivo
09-20-2015, 10:22 PM

The best is the one that works well for you and that you can get to smoothly from where you are coming, finger-wise. Being on the novice side of things myself still, I just go with the "recommended" position -- with the intent to stray from it when and if suitable. A lot of sites don't list which actual fingers should be used, but I found Mike Dickison's The Kiwi Indispensable Chord Chart (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ziWylTs04WMDdhMjE1Y2ItNmY3NC00MzkxLWJkMDktOWJiZ mMxMzE3ZGU3/view?num=50&sort=name&ddrp=1&layout=list#) very helpful. That was the first thing I printed out when I got into ukulele playing.

You can play the same notes on different strings, so at least in theory the alternative finger positions for chords will produce the same sounding chords. I say "in theory" because I'm just reading "Guitar Zero" by Gary Marcus where he tells an anecdote of a studio musician who re-tunes his guitar depending on where (on the fretboard) most of the piece he's playing is taking place. Perfect intonation everywhere is probably rare on stringed instruments. But I think we can totally ignore this fairly advanced stuff for now. :p (I love that book, by the way. Hugely motivating, especially when you're no longer a spring chicken and setting out to learn an instrument.)

PhilUSAFRet
09-20-2015, 11:29 PM
Lots of demos on youtube. Type in ukulele, how to............................. and fill in the blank with play an ...... chord, fingering positions, strumming patterns, check setup, change strings, etc. etc. Don't forget the videos here on UU.

Doubt you'll find a site much better than this one, Shows the pattern on the fret board and next to it, a photo of the hand/fingers playing that chord: http://www.ukulele-chords.com/

Snupple
09-21-2015, 06:32 PM
Okies, got it, thanks for all your comments :worship:

k0k0peli
09-21-2015, 08:28 PM
Here's another comment. on a GCEA-tuned 'uke (no matter which octaves those strings are tuned) you can play a C chord as 0003 or 0033 or 0433 or 5433 or 0707 or 0787 or 9707 or 9787. All those are versions of only two basic forms. Which fingering you may use depends on 1) how you want it to sound, 2) what came before and what comes next, and 3) how fat|skinny and nimble your fingers may be. Hope this helps!