Sanded Through Finish

sequoia

Reaction score
Well, it was just a matter of time, but I finally did it. I wet sanded through my nitro cellulose finish on the final level sand out in two small areas. Of course it happened at the worst spot on the player side waist area. My first thought was to wipe on some cut shellac (my old friend) on the two areas. It worked well actually and made them disappear (well sort of) however the gloss doesn't match.

Obviously the next step is to sand and respray the areas and rebuild the finish, wait 10 days (sigh) and re-level and polish. I know this is a long shot, but do any of you pro nitro finishers out there have a secret way to fix this?... Yeah, I know. Long shot.

That's a real PITA but we've all been there. Keep in my that you "may" have to reapply pore filler in the areas you sanded through. Ten days may also not be enough time to wait for sanding and buffing. You'll be applying new lacquer over old in some areas and you might have problems leveling it if you do it too soon. (When it dries in a few months the new lacquer may be lower than the existing lacquer. When retouching lacquer I like to wait at least 3 or 4 weeks before finishing. I would mask off the top and back and respray just the sides. You really don't want more lacquer on the top and masking will keep the overspray off. Of course you'll have a little ridge of lacquer where it meets the tape but you can knock that down easily.

These are times when it's nice to have an air brush. As Bill Clinton used to like to say "I Feel Your Paaaain" Having had a recent finishing mess I really do. You think you are home free when everything goes wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks Chuck. That is what I'm gonna have to do. Another long cure out and then sand back. I do wonder about "burn in" and "significant shrinkage" and all that when spraying over a cured finish but what the hell. Onward!... Yes Michael I think your suggestion of an airbrush is about as close as it comes to a silver bullet. Problem: I don't have an airbrush, but I'm really seeing how this would be the perfect solution... Ultimate solution: Do not sand through your finish!

Sand the entire area that needs to be refinished. Top or back or sides.....or the entire instrument if need be.

Then you most likely will be able to spot those area's that you cut through carefully. First coat just outside the area that needs more finish. The second coat just a bit larger, and perhaps a third just a bit more than that. Your are doing this just to get a bit of build on the affected areas.

Depending on the particular lacquer, you might then be able to shoot 1 or 2 more complete coats over the entire area, or you might have to let it sit for a day or two. Give the spotted areas a light tickle wet sand, then a couple more coats over the entire areas. Let sit for an appropriate amount of time for that lacquer and then go onto your buffing.

Hope that makes sense.

Top Bottom