String Spacing for 5-String Tenor

Cocobolo Ukuleles

Reaction score
Hello Luthier Experts,

We have received a custom order for a 5-string Tenor and we are trying to decide what spacing to use between the two G strings.

We are building a custom neck and fretboard that is 1 1/2" at the nut. We will be spacing the other strings at 3/8" like normal, and the plan is to space the two G strings at 1/8".

Any ideas or suggestions on the matter? What is the typical spacing on 5 or 8 stringed ukuleles?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Sincerely,

Kevin

3.5 mm would convert to 0.137795 inches. 1/8" is .125 inches. It sounds like we are close.

What spacing do you use on the other strings? We use 3/8", which converts to 9.525 mm. Sound close?

I appreciate your input,

Kevin

on my one I looked up some pictures of good five string ukes (taken at the nut) and then scaled the picture up to 1:1 scale using photoshop and then printed it and used it as my template.

I used the spacing from my 8 string, and centered the course where the single string would normally sit. I'm just a tinkering hobbiest though, take advice from the great ones here.

On 4 string instruments, I bring them in 4mm from the edge of the fret board, and then equal space them on centres. So it depends on the width of the fret board. My stock instruments use 36mm nut width, but multi course instruments are all over the place, depending on the clients requests. They are all custom builds and not one has been requested the same.

As an 8 string uke builder and player, I say CLOSE at the nut (for easy playing), but not too close that strings bang into each other when playing....and keep the action LOW at the nut.....my $.02...

Top Bottom