Ukulele Cosmos inactive?

Picker Jon

Reaction score
Hailing fron the UK I have browsed the Ukulele Cosmos forum and decided to join. I registered, activated my account and wrote an introductory post which I was notified had to be approved before it would be posted on the board. That was three weeks ago and it hasn't appeared. I have emailed 3 moderators to find out if there has been a problem but all my emails have been ignored and I can't post anything else until the first post is approved.

Does anyone know if Ukulele Cosmos is still active or if they have a particularly rigourous selection policy?

I know that first post approval takes longer than you would think. I joined about a year? ago it took a long time for first approval. It seemed to me that not alot was happening
in the Ukulele Cosmos so I lost interest.

I've joined some time ago but not made my first post. I lurk occasionally. It seems to be generally much less active than UU.

I took a look. The last three intro posts were posted end of June/ beginning of July but the first replies weren't till early August. One of the replies commented on the time it was taking for first posts to be approved and it seems that the mods are not very active themselves. Not good in my view.

Last edited:
Same here. I registered ages ago and do log in from time to time but it's always the same old threads, not much going on. I suppose I'm as guilty as anyone tho for not posting on there. UU is the only forum I visit daily. Well, ten times a day, maybe more!

Last edited:
I used to post once in a while on Cosmos. I joined there in 2010. That was a year before I joined UU in 2011. Just checked and I could log into Cosmos. There's things going on there. Never had any issues with the place. Seems they take a long time to approve a new member though.

I was mainly on a German and French uke forum since 2008/09. Then I was on Cosmos here and finally there. However, I'm mainly on UU now. Getting too lazy in my old age to flit about all the forums. hehe

Petey

I joined last year. Same issues. Posted a few things and found they had to be approved first...So I waited. And waited. And waited.

There is so little going on it seems like a waste of time to me. UU is all over it in every possible way. I gave up. Weeks to receive approval for making a simple, garden variety post? You must be kidding. Sure fire way to turn people off. Guess that's part of the reason why there are tumbleweeds rolling through the ghost town of that site.

I don't agree. It is worth the waiting.

The reason for the long admission times is that it was plagued by a few trolls around two years ago, and it's the labour of love of Alli B., who gets no income whatsoever out of the forum.

There are less frequent posts on it than here or the new French forum, but the quality of the threads makes up for it: witty, knowledgeable, ...

I don't agree. It is worth the waiting.

The reason for the long admission times is that it was plagued by a few trolls around two years ago, and it's the labour of love of Alli B., who gets no income whatsoever out of the forum.

There are less frequent posts on it than here or the new French forum, but the quality of the threads makes up for it: witty, knowledgeable, ...
Three weeks to approve a single post? That doesn't qualify as a labour of love in my thinking.

I go there and it has its ups and downs.
It did take a long time to get approved.
They have a song of the month thing where everyone has a go at the same song.
Only three takers this month. So yes the tumble weeds blow and the crickets chirp.
It has a different feel to UU.

Three weeks to approve a single post? That doesn't qualify as a labour of love in my thinking.

No, it's only the first post (in fact, forum admission) that takes that long - once you're in, posts don't need any individual approval anymore.

The Fleamarketmusic Bulletin Board (FMM) is rather deserted. Especially the Uke Yak 'ask the expert' section...

Well said Bill. I'm a regular on the Cosmos. It is run by one person, who as well as having a job and a family also plays in a couple of bands. It does take a long time to get approved sometimes (and approval had to be added in order to stop the spammers), but once you're in, you're in. It's a completely different beast to UU. Many of the members know each other well in the real world, as the Cosmos has an annual gathering, and therefore the posts are much more like old friends talking to each other than they would be on a regular forum. It's also a UK forum (though it welcomes anyone), so uke sales, gigs, etc. tend to be UK-based.

Thanks, looks like the delay is normal then, although on the intro it does say it only takes a short time. Because of that, I thought my post might been lost or overlooked and my email enquiries weren't at all impatient. It's certainly a different way of moderating a forum to what I've come across before. Still keeping my fingers crossed!

Most forums I've been on have a team of Moderators so that issues can be dealt with quickly. It sounds like Ukulele Cosmos would benefit in the same way and I noticed when I checked earlier today that there were members expressing a willingness to help out.

I appreciate that trolls and spammers are a pain in the proverbial but the delay in approving first posts could well be putting people off joining in. I appreciate life can get in the way sometimes but I would have thought that there was a need to check in weekly at least to deal with things.

Hailing fron the UK I have browsed the Ukulele Cosmos forum and decided to join. I registered, activated my account and wrote an introductory post which I was notified had to be approved before it would be posted on the board. That was three weeks ago and it hasn't appeared. I have emailed 3 moderators to find out if there has been a problem but all my emails have been ignored and I can't post anything else until the first post is approved.

It must be asked: did you do something to piss them off? :D

It must be asked: did you do something to piss them off? :D

Haha! No nothing at all, my post was polite and uncontroversial and entirely about my uke playing interests. My email enquiries to the mods were polite and straightforward as well. That's why it seems so mysterious to have heard nothing.

Haha! No nothing at all, my post was polite and uncontroversial and entirely about my uke playing interests. My email enquiries to the mods were polite and straightforward as well. That's why it seems so mysterious to have heard nothing.

Indeed, I'm sure that is true, PJ.

The surest way to get a rapid response: email them with a request to buy their entire website for its current market value.

No man can resist enough offered cash to buy a medium cola and a chicken sandwich.

I have been told that at the moment the Cosmos is without Mods.
The soul purpose of mods there is to ok new members. Hence the slow admission time.
Mods don't get involved in what is posted therefore the place does have a different feel and people do express themselves freely.
I hang out there and am getting used to the vibe I think.
Not for the feint of heart but the more people who get through the admission wait the less tumble weeds there'll be.

Ah OK. Looks like I shouldn't expect things to happen soon then. Maybe they should put a note on the registration or intro page about that rather than just keeping new members hanging on. I see from the members list that nearly 50 people have joined since July but none of them have any posts, so presumably haven't been vetted yet.

Actually...I don't think I'm in that much of a hurry to join now...

345ynly.jpg

Top Bottom