string question

bernd

Reaction score
anyone ever tried to put guitar strings on a baritone uke?

i talk about dgbe tuning, so am asking about the first four strings.

thanks for sharing experiences
be

If you're talking about acoustic guitar strings, they won't work. The steel core of the wound strings and plain steel will put a lot of tension on your baritone uke, which may harm it in the long run.

If you're talking about classical guitar strings, in all likelihood the baritone ukulele sets are made up of classical guitar strings, just branded differently. So yes, those would work fine.

anyone ever tried to put guitar strings on a baritone uke?

i talk about dgbe tuning, so am asking about the first four strings.

thanks for sharing experiences
be
The thing to bear in mind is that even a baritone ukulele has a somewhat shorter scale-length than a "normal" 6-string guitar. My Brunswick baritone has a 20" scale, my Yamaha FG-Junior, which is a "small-size" guitar, has a 21" scale and with a "normal" set of guitar strings fitted, they're just a little "floppy", not unusable, but noticeable low-tension. On a 20" scale I suspect the same strings might just be a little too loose to be usable, so, unless you have a long-scale baritone, I'd suggest you may need to look at "thicker than normal" guitar strings ... which should work just fine :)

If I was needing to engage in this exercise, I'd check comparative string gauges for a variety of baritone ukulele string sets and see how they compare to available guitar string gauges, then make an appropriate choice.

Good luck :)

Do you want me to send you a set of bari strings? they can be either Aquila white or the red ones?. They will fit in a regular envelope and post the same as a first class letter. Yes, I am a distributor for Aquila, so I have more access to them than you do. I wouldn't hesitate to take you out for a hamburger and a cup of coffee if you were state-side, so, I'm getting off light, and the strings will be with you longer than the burger. Want to do it?

Top Bottom