Strap button on the neck heel of soprano

zztush

Reaction score
I had put strap button on the neck heel on my soprano. It had bad valance and it fell over without support of my right hand. Now I tie my strap on the head of my soprano. I know some people put their strap buttons on the neck heels of their sopranos.

I heard that guitars are too heavy, hence they should be supported neck heel instead of head in order to avoid neck damage. But sopranos are very light.

Is their any advantage to put strap button on the neck heel of soprano?

For me, it's all down to where the instrument "naturally" lies when the strap is being worn. With a fitting at the base of the neck or thereabouts, for me, on a ukulele, especially the smaller sizes, (right hand strumming, here) the whole instrument hangs too far to the left and needs to be "forced" into a comfortable playing position. With the strap fastened to each end of the instrument everything seems a little more "natural".

I think the only guitars that would be too heavy for a head-fastened strap would be a solid-bodied electric, my jumbo 12-string acoustic has never shown any problem with the strap tied between the machine-heads.

Obviously, YMMV and personal physique may have a bearing on this matter, but, FWIW, my suggestion would be "whatever you're most comfortable with :)"

Enjoy !!

Afterthought : I removed the heel-button fitted on my small-size nylon-strung guitar because it got in the way of my thumb when I was playing up around the 12th fret. A different playing style might make this less of an issue.

Last edited:
It is all down to the way the uke balances. I have two with buttons fitted at the bottom of the neck. On one it works well, but on the other the head tends to fall away from me if I let go. So on that, and my others, I tie the strap to the head, half way up between the two pairs of tuners, to keep the strap away from my left hand.

With all my larger sizes I have heel buttons but with my soprano I went with the headstock. I also don't like the strap getting in the way of my fretting hand, but I find that putting it between the two sets of tuners instead of behind the nut keeps it far enough away.

I have strap buttons on the neck of my two most played sopranos - that is why they are the most played.

Attachments

• strap 1.jpg
    strap 1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 34
  • OXK neck.jpg
    OXK neck.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 32
I agree with the others here. If your uke's balance is even just a little head heavy, the neck will not stay in place and you will lose half of the benefit of a strap. Attaching at the headstock between the tuners will hold the neck steady, and stay away from your fretting hand. As far as neck strength, I have never had a problem with a neck from using a strap in this way. Soprano ukes verses guitars are a very different weight class.
–Lori

There is a way to "wear" the strap which really only needs one attachment point at the bottom of the body. Instead of running the strap over the shoulder and behind the back, open the strap and place one side of it in front of you and the other part behind you. It will completely hold the body in the same place as with a two point hitch, but has the added advantage of not smashing the back of the body against your body, so the sound can be heard from the back as well as the front. The strumming hand is able to move the neck away from the body, which it cannot do with a two point hitch either on the base of the neck or the peghead/headstock. The strumming hand does not have to be clamped against the body to keep it from falling. It only strums or picks. What about the instrument with NO hands? Because I know the tail button is tight on my straps (I make them from either webbing or all leather) I know they are secure, and it does not cause me any anxiety to just let go and have it swing to my side. If one is shorter than the length of the ukulele, that is a different matter. I can't do that with my tenors. I gently let them hang.... the sopranos and concerts are safe. If one is NOT sure of the hole/button fit, gently lower it to the hanging position.

Top Bottom