g on high g tuning

zztush

Reaction score
I have a soprano with high g tuning. I have a tab which is written for both high and low g tuning. This tab takes g on 2nd string instead of 4th string. Is this normal even for high g tuning? Or should I take g on g string with my high g tuning?

View attachment 83714

I have a soprano with high g tuning. I have a tab which is written for both high and low g tuning. This tab takes g on 2nd string instead of 4th string. Is this normal even for high g tuning? Or should I take g on g string with my high g tuning?

View attachment 83714

I'm guessing that the second measure was tabbed incorrectly, and you should play it like the first.

As written, in the first measure the 3rd and 4th strings are allowed to ring while the 2nd and 1st strings are plucked. In the second measure, the 2nd and 3rd strings will ring. Played as written, the two measures will have a slightly different sound, so the difference may be intended.

I suspect Gary & others are correct that it was intended this way to slightly vary the resonating notes. Slight variations like that can 'surprise' our ears and can make it more interesting to listen to.

That said, why not try it both ways and go with whatever sounds best to your ear? When I am learning a new song I play it over and over again and as I get smoother with it, the song "opens up" to me and I discover a lot of things about the song that eluded me before when I was trying to sort out the basics. That's the point where you can start making tweaks to your fingering & chord voicings, based upon how you hear the song and what you want to do with it.

Thank you very much guys for the good advises. I think I will take g on 4th string instead of 2nd string more, shown on the first measure in attached fig.
Because it is easier for fingers and sounds better on high g.

View attachment 83726

Top Bottom