Guitars hurt my fingers!

hotnanas

Reaction score
So I took a break from trying to teach myself the uke tonight and picked up my girlfriend's guitar and tried teaching myself to pluck out stairway to heaven, and good God, Almighty, my fingers hurt! I think if I play anything else tonight on either the uke or guitar I am gonna have blood all over the instrument!

Guitar strings hurt!

haha it's mostly cuz ur used to the ukes nylon strings. When I first started playing guitar, my fingers hurt like hell, but now, nothing really hurts my fingers. Just keep practicing and you'll get used to the steel strings.

Haha yeah, it's well worth it when your fingers get all calloused and nothing hurts. Not even when you poke yourself changing strings!

i hear u man, im a beginner in the guitar n after a month of playing the guitar my finger hurts, but everybody say thats how u learn to play the guitar

ya, the tiny E string killed my first finger which I thought was rather calloused from the uke.

I think I am gonna learn guitar too! I wish my parents would have urged me to get into music when I was younger.

haha ya guitar string are unforgiving on virgin fingers man, u got to play alot and build up ur finger strength and get ur fingertips nice and hard

Girls don't like it, but building those calluses are the only way to play steel string guitars well.

hahaha sometimes i would drink beer before practicing with
my guitar i only do this when my finger hurts too much cuz u see im a newb n i have steel strings in my guitar:D

I'm proud of my callouses and peeling fingers. :D

The switch from ukulele to guitar is a real eye opener. If you want some super tough fingertips....keep playing with those steel strings.:D

When you first start with an acoustic guitar, try tuning down a half step or so to ease some of the tension until you get used to it.

Girls don't like it, but building those calluses are the only way to play steel string guitars well.

Well...I guess the attractive factor of guitars gets partially neutralized by calluses eh? Well, yeah, I still can't handle playing the steel guitar strings...another ceiling I'll have to break through to playing guitar.

If you're going to start playing guitar with steel strings, Change the strings out to Extra LIGHTS if you haven't already. Another option is to use Light electric guitar strings for an even smaller gauge. I use electric strings on my ovation until this day. Feels good, sounds good, sounds even better plugged in.

haha only my middle finger hurts for some reason, i'm a beginning guitar player also :eek:

isn't there a lotion u can put on your finger that can harden your skin to ease the pain, i forgot whats it called?

isn't there a lotion u can put on your finger that can harden your skin to ease the pain, i forgot whats it called?

look up "Rodeo Cream" Thats the stuff that was used to toughen up some red sox pitcher's hands.

dont try to shortcut the system. work at it. and your fingers will develop. and then, if for some reason your body just doesnt respond and you dont build the needed callouses, or lose some of the sensitivity in your fingertips, then maybe you should look for some other means.

just keep practicing. when it hurts too much, stop. then when you feel better, pick it up again till it hurts too much. then stop. you're not quiting, youre conditioning. as you go, your tollerance gets longer and longer.

Top Bottom