Re-Strung my uke and seriously regretting it

Irish Uke Tom

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I restrung my uke. It's a mainland classic mahogany tenor and came perfectly set up from Mike's store. This is the first time I've ever put new strings on a ukulele. I bought some D'addario EJ788Ts and I hate them. They sound like a lesser version of the supernyglut ones that came with the initial setup. It sounded so sweet before. Basically I'm going to restring it again. I would love some recommendations on strings that are more different to the aquilas than the ej788ts? Hope that makes sense. Also, are there strings that suit the mahogany better (possibly to give it a more mellow tone?)

I know it's it's all a personal thing but maybe my story above will help someone give me a few pointers.

Thanks

Tom

What are EJ7888T's? Is that the correct number? Nothing seems to be listed for that number.

That's just a subset of UAS, and you'll go through a bunch of strings before you'll get better! ;)

Yes, it's a personal thing, really. But for a little more mellow, you could try Worth Browns, which I quite like on my tenor (cypress, though). There are different types to choose from (see this table, the ones with "B" in the abbreviations are browns), and you might also like the clear (C) ones.

hi hammer 40.
Yeah, that's the number on the package. It also says nyltech tenor (EJ88T)

Haha Mivo, I had a we heart attack...like what have I done?....noooooo! Still hating myself - my old strings were still in their prime!

I'll take a look a those suggestions. thanks.

Really the choices everyone goes on about are d'addario t2, aquila and worths.

Generally, if you do want to stay warm or mellow, than I would look at nylon strings over fluorocarbon? I have a Pono mahogany and I like the Savarez (flourocarbon) strings on it. But then I prefer fluorocarbon strings. You are really just going to have to try some sets for yourself and see what you prefer. It can be fun experimenting though, and a little surprising the different sounds you can get with different brands or materials.

Thanks hammer.
I've never heard of that brand so I'll definitely give them a chance!
I should probably just relax and enjoy the experimentation rather than hating myself for wrecking a sweet set up.

Worth browns gave a very mellow tone on my Pono (acacia). If they look expensive bear in mind that the strings are long enough for two sets.

On my Mainland Mahogany tenor I am also using Worth Browns at the moment, quiet but nice. I have also used Savarez and liked those for a time. Is everybody posting from work? Get back to business!

hi hammer 40.
Yeah, that's the number on the package. It also says nyltech tenor (EJ88T)

Haha Mivo, I had a we heart attack...like what have I done?....noooooo! Still hating myself - my old strings were still in their prime!

I'll take a look a those suggestions. thanks.

Really the choices everyone goes on about are d'addario t2, aquila and worths.

Ah, you had the wrong number listed in your original post.

As others pointed out there are different materials which give a different sound. Nylon ie. : D'addario, florocarbon ie. Worth, Savarez, Oasis, Living Water, Freemont etc and then Aquila is a different animal again.

Warm florocarbon sets would be Worth Browns, Oasis Warms, Living Water are all nice.

I know how you feel. I have a Webber tenor that sounded great with South Coast but after 4 months I decided to experiment. After three different sets I am not happy.......might be time to go back to the South Coast. But as Hammer said sometimes you get a nice suprise.

Hammer: I don't know how I didn't notice that! My excuse is I went for a run for the first time ever today and It has wrecked me. Helped me destress though after wrecking my ukulele set up though haha :cool:

I'm going to order the newest t2 d'addarios and the worths and give them a try. I have a feeling I might end up back where I started but it's worth a try now.

That's just a subset of UAS, and you'll go through a bunch of strings before you'll get better! ;)

Yes, it's a personal thing, really. But for a little more mellow, you could try Worth Browns, which I quite like on my tenor (cypress, though). There are different types to choose from (see this table, the ones with "B" in the abbreviations are browns), and you might also like the clear (C) ones.

The Worth Strings official web site has a complete list of all of their strings on this page but you have to scroll down to see them all:

http://worthc.to/english/w_strings.html

Also, to the OP, The D'Addariao T2 strings are NYLON, and as such will be warmer sounding on most ukes than any fluorocarbon strings, IMHO. They will also be THICKER than all fluorocarbon strings, and depending upon how your uke has been set up by Mainland, your intonation might drift if your string choice is too far different from how the instrument was set up.

This is MORE of a problem on the short scale of a ukulele than on any guitar.

Having said that, I like Worth Browns for sound, feel and tension on Tenors.

Also, if you want to see the whole spectrum of strings that D'Addario makes, go here:

http://daddario.com/DADProductsUkulele.Page?ActiveID=3781

They have a horizontal slider to help you select the tone of bright vs. mellow from five different string sets.

FYI, a while back Ukulele Eddie started a thread about 'SCO' (aka String Changing Obsession), which many of us suffer from. It's all about the journey to get the sound and feel YOU prefer from YOUR instrument.

I caution you: ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER THIS 'SCO' THREAD!!!

You've been warned! see here: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?93141-It-s-like-UAS-only-worse-SCO

:shaka:

I'm currently loving Savarez Alliance strings on on e of my ukes.
Living Waters are also strings I liked very much on my tenor uke.

Hammer: I don't know how I didn't notice that! My excuse is I went for a run for the first time ever today and It has wrecked me. Helped me destress though after wrecking my ukulele set up though haha :cool:

I'm going to order the newest t2 d'addarios and the worths and give them a try. I have a feeling I might end up back where I started but it's worth a try now.
I don't think you need to be stressed over strings. They are easy to change, and don't cost a lot. Sometimes things just don't work. Live and learn.

Living Waters made my Son's mahogany concert come alive. Sweet, full, and well balanced.

I'm not sure how you feel about Aquila strings, but I put a set of their Lava series on my Ohana. I LOVE them! They're loud and bright but not brash, easy to slide on and press down. I might try a set of Living Waters next, lots of peeps here like em. But it takes me about 5 months to wear out a set, so I'm good for now....Lavas might bring your uke back to life.

I recently purchased an all solid mahogany tenor from a fellow UU member. It had Oasis Brights on it. I had never heard these strings but they made this uke the sweetest sounding mahogany I have ever heard. I bought a set, actually two because like the Worth strings they are long enough for two sets, and put them on my all solid acacia tenor. Again, beautiful, clear and bright sound.

Living Waters made my Son's mahogany concert come alive. Sweet, full, and well balanced.

+1 on the Living Waters. Call Mike back at Uke Republic, he sells them.

Remember that strings can take a little while to settle in, so maybe give them a little longer before changing them. It is true that experimenting with new strings seems to be a neverending pain/pleasure when it comes to playing the uke. It certainly took me a few years to settle on my favorites.

I think that the Aquila strings have a very full characterful flavor that can sound quite good even on a uke that doesn't have great acoustic properties, but, for me, the fluorocarbons seem to amplify more of the actual uke's sound. Having said that, this is just my opinion because it's such a personal thing.

I do know that having the "wrong" strings on your uke can be a serious downer. Most people seem to think that mahogany is quite a warm wood, and if you want to push that warm sound even further, you might try Worth Browns. If you want to pull a bit more treble and definition out of the mahogany, you might try Worth Clears.

Personally I'm a big fan of Living Water strings, which are not totally dissimilar to Worth Clears, but for me just have the edge. Maybe you should just come to terms with the fact that by this time next year, your floor will be scattered with empty string packets from around the globe ;)

Good Luck.

Top Bottom