For the guitar builders

little timber

Reaction score
Can anyone point me towards, or give me some advice about building, and especially bracing a guitar top made with 3 pieces.
It would be most appreciated

I would think that if your glue joints are good, you would brace the same as any 2 piece top. Don't over think this.

Glue them well together and brace it as a two piece. Find a plan and stick to it.

The only deviation from a standard 2 piece top that I've ever seen is the addition of very fine diamond cleats glued in areas across the joins that spanned an area that looked like it might need it.

Three piece top I made out of a fence board. You can see the joint lines. Bracing bridges them enough times I did not bother with cleats. Could have put in two or three on this top I guess.

BuildNo296_zpsd4c72af4.jpg

I've gotten some marvelous tops out of western cedar fence boards. At the lumber yard I used some of the Q/S boards were available in 2 x 12 and one board would make many many tops.

All steel, just built one nylon so far.

Baking%20Pine%2015_zpsdx9abe7g.jpg

Baking%20Pine%2011_zpsymmfzue5.jpg

Baking%20Pine%2012_zpslqrgegv8.jpg

Baking%20Pine%2007_zpsufbut9eu.jpg

Really liking this one. Was suppose to be a throwaway build, just something to pick up till I build a nylon crossover I have planned. Built in two weeks plus one week finishing. Experimental as I baked the wood, all Pine body. Spruce neck, actually a piece of a 2x3. Walnut fretboard and cheap tuners plus rosewood bridge from China. Left out the truss rod, binding and rosette. Sort of a nylon blues box if you will, not that it is bluesy but no super lows or hight. Short and sweet, 22.75" scale, 16" body length, 13" lower bout, 4" deep. Can pretty much play it in any non ergonomically correct position as it is small and light, 2 1/2 lbs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom