PDA

View Full Version : NUD (NUW, actually): Barron River Huon Pine/Aussie Blackwood tenor

Andy Chen
09-24-2015, 06:10 PM
Pictures here: http://www.brguitars.com/gallery/tenor/blackwood_huon1/

After spending one week with this excellent instrument, I find it to have a bright, deep tone that is very strong in the mids and does not sound plinky at all. Trebles are sweet without being harsh. Bass and sustain could be better, but they are still good.

Craftsmanship is flawless to my eye. The semi-gloss finish brings out the beautiful grains of the woods and appears to provide sufficient protection from everyday handling.

But when I were to get another Barron River uke from Allen (and I really hope I am able to commission another soon), I would like the back of the neck to have a satiny feel, so that it is not so "sticky".

All in all, this is among the best ukes I have played. Third-best actually, after my Kinnard cedar and Blackbird Clara, and on a par with the Kamaka HF-3 I used to own.

(By the way, it is currently strung with low G Worth Browns.)

Mivo
09-24-2015, 09:09 PM
Congratulations! It's very beautiful. :) (I feel like a hypocrite when I say I'm curious about a sound sample, because I still haven't uploaded one for my BR!)

Andy Chen
09-24-2015, 09:14 PM
So you have the gorgeous monterey cypress tenor from Allen! Congratulations to you too. Isn't Barron River just amazing value for money?

I hope to get around to doing sound samples soon.

Camsuke
09-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Congratulations Andy! Beautiful ukulele, very classy. A tiny dusting of talcum powder on your palm should fix the stickiness. It's an old pool sharks trick, they use it to make the cue glide through their hand!

Hippie Dribble
09-24-2015, 09:21 PM
Congratulations Andy. Very beautiful. Looking forward to sound samples from both you and Mivo of these.

Andy Chen
09-24-2015, 10:01 PM
Thanks, everyone, and Campbell, in particular, for the tip.

Rakelele
09-24-2015, 10:19 PM
Congratulations, very nice! May I ask what the engraving on the Rosette stands for?

Andy Chen
09-24-2015, 10:57 PM
They are the names of my daughters.

Rakelele
09-24-2015, 11:13 PM
They are the names of my daughters.

That is so sweet. So I guess that one is a real keeper. Congratulations again!

mkatz
09-25-2015, 12:17 AM
Congratulations Andy, it is beautiful.

Mitch

Andy Chen
09-25-2015, 12:35 AM
Thank, Mitch

turtledrum
09-25-2015, 01:40 AM
Congratulations, Andy. Just gorgeous! What a fine addition to the family! Love the names of the girls!

DownUpDave
09-25-2015, 01:40 AM
Thank you so much for the NUD post. I really enjoyed knowing what you thought about it..........obviously a lot because you want another one. The pictures are great, his work is so clean, flawless and artistic.

Once you have played a satin neck all others feel tacky. My Webber is satin and when I ordered my LfdM I requested the same. I don't know how handy you are but rubbing down the back of the neck with some medium steel wool will take the sheen off.

Congratulations on a very beautiful instrument.

stevejfc
09-25-2015, 03:03 AM
Congrats Andy........... one beautiful ukulele. I love the rosette. You're daughters must be smiling!

wayfarer75
09-25-2015, 03:35 AM
I love that the rosette has your daughters' names. It's a gorgeous instrument. I do want to hear sound samples! I am curious what I will think of the bass and sustain! :)

My BR has a satin finish, and my fingers don't stick to the neck like I do with my glossier ukes (my semi-gloss Kamaka is getting glossier on the neck the more I play it). I love that aspect, especially during this humid rainy weather we've been having since I got it. Oh how I wish we could have sent some of our rain out West this summer!

hollisdwyer
09-25-2015, 04:40 AM
Pictures here: http://www.brguitars.com/gallery/tenor/blackwood_huon1/
....But when I were to get another Barron River uke from Allen (and I really hope I am able to commission another soon), I would like the back of the neck to have a satiny feel, so that it is not so "sticky".

Andy,
Congratulations on the new Uke. I'm sure you are going to enjoy playing it for a long time. Re commissioning another, Allen has this sweet concert in his current stock right now that I'd love to get for my wife. Have a look at the BR website and let me know what you think.
Re the sticky neck issue, I was speaking to Beau Hannam recently about the same thing and he said you could use fine 0000 steel wool to bring a glossy surface back to a satin. I am going to ask Beau to do that when he gets to my build next year. I might also ask Allen if it is not too late to do the same to my 8 string.

lewclev
09-25-2015, 06:24 AM
Thanks for posting and congrats. I love these posts - great way to expand our knowledge of ukuleles and their makers.

Andy Chen
09-25-2015, 07:00 AM
Thanks, everyone, and also for the sticky neck solution suggestion.

Hollis: I have been checking out that hog concert with intent for a while. Love the wood on that. Pity I'm not much of a concert size player.

Mivo
09-25-2015, 09:08 AM
Pity I'm not much of a concert size player.

You say that like it's a bad thing! :) I envy you folks who have a clearly defined preference. I still bounce around, and I think I'm accepting that I won't really figure it out until I'm a more skilled player than I currently am. (Or so I tell myself to keep UAS in check. I'm still curious what a KoAloha tenor sounds like.)

Allen
09-25-2015, 09:39 AM
The finish on my ukes is a nitro based lacquer, and there won't be any problem at all with a light rubbing down of the neck in the playing area with super fine steel wool. Usually graded as 0000. You can even have a little bit of paste wax on the steel wool as you do this.

Recstar24
09-25-2015, 10:00 AM
I love the fretboard markers, very classy and elegant. The whole instrument exudes a lot of class, is very understated but beautiful in a very natural way. And the names of your daughters on the rosette has to be the coolest thing I've seen.

Andy Chen
09-25-2015, 01:09 PM
Thanks, Recstar. Allen's work really deserves much praise and more exposure.

Doc_J
09-25-2015, 01:40 PM
She's a beauty Andy. Congratulations!
Great that it is made from Australian native woods. Very cool.
I've definitely got to talk to Allen about a uke.

Nickie
09-25-2015, 04:49 PM
Wow, beautiful. I love it's classy simplicity. Congratulations!

hollisdwyer
09-25-2015, 05:15 PM
Thanks, everyone, and also for the sticky neck solution suggestion.

Hollis: I have been checking out that hog concert with intent for a while. Love the wood on that. Pity I'm not much of a concert size player.

I'm not much of a concert guy either but I was thinking of this for my wife who would prefer a smaller size. Yes, that wood is very nice.

Also, re the cutting back the gloss neck with 0000 steel wool, remember to use Allen's suggestion to put a dab of paste wax (non silicon) on the steel wool.

Ukulele Eddie
09-25-2015, 08:04 PM
Nice addition, Andy!

Andy Chen
09-25-2015, 08:22 PM
Thanks, Eddie, Nickie

Doc: your should definitely have Allen build you, especially now that the USD is so strong against the Aussie currency.

Andy Chen
10-05-2015, 05:56 PM
UPDATE: It's been more than three weeks now, and I'm really loving the BR so much - and not just in a I-spent-$2k-so-I'd-better-love-it way.

Its tone is unique. The strong mids are deliciously meaty. The Kinnard and Clara and HF3 (which I have sold) are great but they could be said to sound like they are in the same sound ballpark (nice deep tones, mostly warm). Not so the BR. I have not heard anything like it among ukes I have tried.