PDA

View Full Version : Ukulele music in TV commercials....

mailman
03-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Anyone else noticing more and more ukulele music being used in TV commercials? Maybe it's because I'm a new player and all excited about all things ukulele, but I'm hearing more ukes in TV ads than ever before.

The two that come immediately to mind are an Iams dog food commercial and a Sprint phone commercial. I know I heard at least one more recently, but I can't remember who it was for....an airline, I think.

Both have very catchy, infectious uke music in the background. Is it just me, or are you folks hearing the same thing I am?

TheWannabe90
03-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Same here in Belgium,
People around me are getting annoyed, because every time one of those commercials is on, I will tell them that the background music is an ukulele.
Always the same clips, always the same people...
Still every time I get very excited and shout
"shhhhhhhh, listen, listen, do you hear that?" and they say
"dude, not again, we know its that mini guitar thing again..."

But yes a lot more uke music in commercials, good thing though.
Normally I change channels during breaks, now the batteries of my remote controll live longer.

Harold O.
03-18-2009, 01:05 PM
There's a Route 66 documentary show making the rounds on our local PBS station that has uke/trumpet music as a background. Simple and bitchin'.

bbycrts
03-18-2009, 02:03 PM
My wife says I have her trained now - when she hears commercials with uke music in them she saves the commercial so I can hear it!

100percenthapa
03-18-2009, 02:16 PM
In a car commercial they have 5 years time playing
that song has uke in it and the part the car commercial plays is the uke part
also verizon has the im yours medley playing in da background

nacho
03-18-2009, 02:32 PM
:D
Funny you mention that, because just last week, I heard some ukulele music on a commercial and was all excited about it. I asked my mom if she could hear it :)

I think it's me just noticing the music a lot more since I'm into ukulele right now.

DeG
03-18-2009, 02:58 PM
I just noticed the same thing the other day...I think you're right, there are many commercials with uke music running at the moment :)

Ahnko Honu
03-18-2009, 03:38 PM
There's a I think Kellogg's cereal commercial with uke music too.

MisoHappy
03-18-2009, 03:45 PM
What about the rice krispies commercials w/ somewhere over the rainbow

Captain Google
03-18-2009, 03:56 PM
In a car commercial they have 5 years time playing
that song has uke in it and the part the car commercial plays is the uke part

That was in a commercial for Sunchips. It's in a car commercial as well?

What about the rice krispies commercials w/ somewhere over the rainbow

I believe that's the one Ahnko Honu was talking about.

Uke Republic
03-18-2009, 06:19 PM
The roaming gnome has it as well. They watch us.....Siren song of ukulele, just like H.G.'s Time Machine!

mailman
03-19-2009, 04:34 AM
The background music in the Iam's dog food commercial is making me nuts. It seems to be really, really simple....and yet I can't seem to figure out how to play it. It's probably just because I'm a beginner.

Any of you guys with some experience want to help me figure it out? I know that the first part sounds to me like a C chord, then slide up two frets, then repeat. But next comes a chord change, and I can't figure out what that one is.

Boy, would my wife be impressed if I could pick up my uke and play along with a commercial on TV!

BTW....I see this commercial regularly on the National Geographic Channel while watching The Dog Whisperer (is Cesar Millan amazing, or what?)

cpatch
03-19-2009, 05:44 AM
That was in a commercial for Sunchips. It's in a car commercial as well?
For Saturn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkhEg4hLC74

cpatch
03-19-2009, 05:49 AM
The background music in the Iam's dog food commercial is making me nuts. It seems to be really, really simple....and yet I can't seem to figure out how to play it. It's probably just because I'm a beginner.
Is this the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spVFa_1BUJA

Captain Google
03-19-2009, 05:51 AM
For Saturn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkhEg4hLC74

Oh, I remember that commercial now. :)

mailman
03-19-2009, 06:18 AM
Is this the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spVFa_1BUJA

That's it! That's the one that's making me crazy! I had no idea that it was from an actual music video....I thought it was just a simple little background ditty for the commercial. The music in the dog food commercial never gets as far as the vocals.

Any ideas on how to play the beginnings of this song? Up to the vocal part?

UKISOCIETY
03-19-2009, 06:26 AM
That's it! That's the one that's making me crazy! I had no idea that it was from an actual music video....I thought it was just a simple little background ditty for the commercial. The music in the dog food commercial never gets as far as the vocals.

Any ideas on how to play the beginnings of this song? Up to the vocal part?

That sounds like a mandolin or mandola in the video. Should sound great on the uke tho.

mailman
03-19-2009, 06:33 AM
That sounds like a mandolin or mandola in the video. Should sound great on the uke tho.

See? I told you I was a beginner! Here I'm all psyched about some "uke music" that isn't even a ukulele.... :confused: :o

Oh, well. I like it, anyway. ;) And I agree....it probably would sound great on the uke. I'd still love to know how to strum along....that way the family CFO might be more understanding should I catch a sudden case of UAS.

dave alexander
03-19-2009, 02:51 PM
George Strait has a uke song on the country charts...He even sings "I've got a little ukulele..." Rollin on the River of Love...

I'm tellin' you. These ukes gonna be big!

Ahnko Honu
03-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Not ukulele but great fiddle work. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CaMUfxVJVQ

mmanalo
03-19-2009, 08:03 PM
I've heard about 3 or 4 commercials using IZ - somewhere over da rainbow

casetone2514
05-18-2009, 11:10 PM
There ARE more and more ukes in ads at the moment. The Trainline.com has this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsbEGqiCrWk)

tshirtandties
05-19-2009, 05:01 AM
Lots in the UK here too
one that comes to mind is a sofa company, but loads more like in every break lol

Hankthetank
05-19-2009, 05:44 AM
The latest commercials I have seen with the uke playing the background music have been a Hotels.com commercial, a Verizon wireless commercial, and a commmercial for Comcast starring Shaq and Ben Stein where at the end Shaq says they should do a movie together called "Shaqenstein."

bt93
06-02-2009, 02:45 PM
ya i saw the one with shaq for comcast. as soon as i heard it, i instantaneously knew it was a uke

thejumpingflea
06-02-2009, 02:46 PM
It seems like every other car company is using a uke in their ads.

lolsara
06-02-2009, 02:59 PM
WOAH!! Hold the phone! I was JUST thinking about making a post about this today and I log on and see someone already did? Great minds must think alike... scary. But yeah, I've been noticing it ALOT. I guess people are finally realizing how awesome the uke is? :rock:

thejumpingflea
06-02-2009, 03:42 PM
WOAH!! Hold the phone! I was JUST thinking about making a post about this today and I log on and see someone already did? Great minds must think alike... scary. But yeah, I've been noticing it ALOT. I guess people are finally realizing how awesome the uke is? :rock:

That sounds about right. :shaka:

Hankthetank
06-02-2009, 03:55 PM
I think the ukulele background music in commercials is just a trend. Could be a lot reasons. Could be the economy-since companies are pinching pennies, they don't want to have to pay talent fees to use songs by known artists. I would guess that stock uke music is pretty cheap.
The tunes are pretty catchy, but I don't think they are necesarily indicitive of the popularity of the uke. To the trained ear, we hear it and know it is a uke. But for the average person, I don't think they are going to go to the store to pick one up because they want to learn the jingle to the Hotels.com commercial. Just my opinion.
By the way, does anyone know the chords for that one? J/k

specialmike
06-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Have any of you guys noticed that a lot of commercials recently have had the ukulele playing as the background music?

It's not as obvious as Travelocity, but it's as every product with kids or... with doggies, has some cheerful sounding music in the background that sounds surprising like a ukulele?

Or is this .. phenomenon only experienced by me?

gotrice415510
06-10-2009, 01:01 PM
i hear one every day

BBcakes
06-10-2009, 01:05 PM
I was just thinking this the other night! My ear just picked it up and I stopped whatever it was I was doing to go look at the TV. But I can't remember what commercial it was... Ugh~ that's gonna bug me all day!

Hobgoblin Steve
06-10-2009, 01:07 PM
same here :P

upskydowncloud
06-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Have any of you guys noticed that a lot of commercials recently have had the ukulele playing as the background music?

It's not as obvious as Travelocity, but it's as every product with kids or... with doggies, has some cheerful sounding music in the background that sounds surprising like a ukulele?

Or is this .. phenomenon only experienced by me?

Yeah there are a tonne of adverts in the UK with a uke strumming in the backround!

UkuEroll
06-10-2009, 01:31 PM
It must be a money thing, maybe ukulele music out of copyright is easier to find or it's just ukulelel players are cheaper the hire, or could it just be that it's coooooool.

cpatch
06-10-2009, 01:59 PM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11064

Tanizaki
06-10-2009, 05:26 PM
I saw one for toilet paper that had ukulele music in the background. The song had an E chord in it.

Hobgoblin Steve
06-10-2009, 05:57 PM
I saw one for toilet paper that had ukulele music in the background. The song had an E chord in it.

quality toilet paper.

Tsani
06-11-2009, 04:56 AM
The marketing business has figured out that ukulele music makes people happy. When people are happy, they buy things. That's why UAS is soooo bad!!!

:D

UKISOCIETY
06-11-2009, 05:46 AM

http://pw0nd.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/what-you-did-there-i-see-it.jpg

Is this normal?:p

Tanizaki
06-11-2009, 06:26 AM
http://pw0nd.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/what-you-did-there-i-see-it.jpg

Is this normal?:p

If you use Worth strings.

cpatch
06-11-2009, 07:49 AM
That must have made it really crappy to play.

ozbcoz
03-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Hi,

has anybody got the time to work out the chord sequences and publish?

It isn't just the ads - I am hearing it in catchy snips on daytime shows - you know the ones that are for property auctions or move to the country etc etc

Jim

franck3d
03-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Kate Micucci from Garfunkel & Oates is playing her Uke on the Fox show "Raising Hope" almost every week.
Another reason to watch!