Bari Curious? Lanikai LU-21B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teek

Reaction score
Their least expensive baritone. Runs $129-$179 on Amazon.

No case, it's a great wall hanger as it is laminate. Solid geared tuners. Straight neck with a comfortable C shape. Frets feel nice, good slick medium half round profile.

I have notched the saddle and deepened the nut slot since they come with way high action, and it is wearing a new set of Worth Clear tenor strings. Browns would be prettier but I was out, and I think the clears give it more sparkle. Tenor strings you say? Why yes, think of your bari as a long scale tenor, tune it to the common drop tuning on tenors of EAF#C# and you'll dump the deep drone and get a brighter richer tenor sound. The action is very low, effortless to fret, still clean, and did I mention the sparkle? Still has good volume.

John Kavanagh taught me the above. He was a wonderful man and I miss him.

Looking for $75 plus shipping unless you want to pick up in the West Los Angeles area. I'd keep it but I have another and too many hulking guitars.

20150925_011826-1.jpg20150925_012831-1.jpg20150925_012258-1.jpg20150925_012251-1.jpg20150925_012227-1.jpg

Last edited:
More pics

Here's a few more showing details, has white plastic binding and heel graft.
20150925_011931.jpg20150925_011837-1.jpg20150925_012333.jpg20150925_012349.jpg20150925_012314.jpg

Okay, I'm going to post all my for sale ukes in the AGF from now on, I'm sure I'll have waaaay more interest.

Okay, I'm going to post all my for sale ukes in the AGF from now on, I'm sure I'll have waaaay more interest.

Good luck.

Sorry man, maybe folks are too star-struck and blindsided by all the K-brands coming through the Marketplace lately, and are afraid to own one of the more plebian models such as this Lanikai LU series.

If I had any extra cash I'd make you an offer, but I can't get blood from a stone (yet), as I would not mind having another bari for linear tuning (currently have one of my baritones in re-entrant CFAD with Worth Clear CT tenor strings) and I can vouch for the clarity and rich tone of these strings, even at this lower tuning.

Good luck with the sale :)

LU21B was my starter uke. We've had it in the family now for more than 10 years and it still gets played regularly. Great price, especially for someone who wants to experiment with the size before committing big bucks. Makes a great beater, if you move up to something fancy. BTW, I'll be playing my LoPrinzi and my son picks up the Lanikai and blows me away. Good not to get too star-struck by instruments.

The strings are settling in and WOW does it sound GREAT in this tuning!!! I'm really shocked how much resonance and sustain is coming from it.

This is a good experiment to try on a baritone. I had a vintage Giannini that sounded phenomenal too with Worth Brown tenors on it. It's a better tuning for some baritones. Just play C tuning chord shapes and be shocked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom