Collingwood Library now has ukuleles!

ichadwick

Reaction score
From a story in the Collingwood Connection:

The Collingwood Public Library is now loaning ukuleles in an effort to promote musical literacy.

The library has three of the Hawaiian instruments available for loan. The ukuleles will be available for three weeks - the same as DVD's and videos - and will include a songbook and an instructional booklet.

Counc. Ian Chadwick, who sits on the library board, has been playing the ukulele for about a year. He said he played guitar for 40 years and then took up the ukulele.

"It's small, light, easy to play and not intimidating," he said. "I fell in love with it. It's just so much fun."

what kind of ukes did they get at the library?

The soprano and tenor are Mahalo, the baritone I can't recall. They're not the lowest on the list of models - they were around $100 each, but they're certainly not the nicest ukes I've ever played.

Yes, this was my initiative, but supported by the library board. Not original: I took the idea from an article I read that a library in Forbes had a similar project. But one I thought worth repeating here.

I wish Hawaii Libraries offered ukuleles but at least most elementary Schools offer after-school ukulele classes at a nominal fee.

The idea may not be original, but you took the time and you stepped up. Thats more then I and many others have ever done and I for one salute you for it.

I have three ukes in my 4th grade classroom. I have a waiting list to take them home. (One is a First Act guitar with a recut nut to fit four strings. The others are a baritone and a soprano. Total investment: 20 bucks. )

People will get excited about playing music if you put it in their hands. Two of my boys have gotten "gifts" from older brothers of used guitars after they brought the uke home. Big brother sees the little guy playing and wants to help.

A kid with use of only one hand and arm used the First Act to strum a few chords using her mostly disabled arm. (Mom says she played all weekend.)

This is good stuff, these ukuleles.

Good job Ich.
As far as I can see, this is the best reason for UAS. Loaning them out.:cool:

Last edited:
What a great idea. I hope the TPL does something like this as well.

The Library has suggested some dates for a combination performance/jam/workshop:
Saturday May 16th, 23 or 30th
Noon-2 p.m.
Anyone in Southern Ontario want to participate? If so, what date is best for you?

I've also posted this info on the Corktown Uke Jam site (torontoukes.com)

Top Bottom