California Mammoth Ivory Ban

Michael Smith

Reaction score
Ten Days ago on Sept 16 2015, California Senate Bill ab96 passed the state legislature by the vote of 62 yea 14 nay and 4 absent. This now goes to Governor Brown. He will sign it. Count on that 100%. This bill bans the sale of all ivory in the state of California, mammoth included. With bans in CA, New York and New Jersey it begins to become unworkable to have mammoth ivory in your instruments. No matter that the beast has been dead 60,000 years.

So if you have mammoth ivory laying around and you live in CA sell it right now to someone in another state where it is legal. I hope Rescue Pearl doesn't get stuck with a bunch they can't sell.

Here is the bill if you care to read it
https://legiscan.com/CA/text/AB96/id/1062151

It is pretty cut and dry putting mammoth in the list.
BUT Fossilized walrus Ivory is not protected by federal law

WALRUS (non-fossil)-
Regulated by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service under the 1972 Marine Mammal Protection Act. Raw walrus ivory predating the Dec. 21, 1972 law, tusks bearing the Alaska state walrus ivory registration tags or post-law walrus ivory that has been carved or scrimshawed by an Alaskan native (Eskimo) are legal to buy, possess, and sell.

Raw walrus ivory obtained after 12/21/72 is not legal to buy or sell unless both parties are Eskimo (it is legal to own). A $30 export permit is required to ship walrus ivory or oosik (legal as per above) out of the United States.

FOSSIL WALRUS IVORY-
Not restricted as it pre-dates the 1972 cutoff, it is legal to buy and sell anywhere within the United States. Shipping ivory or oosik (fossil walrus penal bone) out of the U. S. requires a $30 permit.

I totally agree with banning the sale of elephant ivory, however I don't understand why fossil ivory is included in the ban. Doesn't make sense to me. Below an excellent article in National Geographic on fossil ivory hunters. An unbelievably difficult and nasty job.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/04/125-mammoth-tusks/larmer-text

One last chance. That’s all the Siberian hunter wants. For five months Karl Gorokhov has tracked his ancient prey across a desolate island in the East Siberian Sea, slogging 18 hours a day over the icy tundra. He is cold and exhausted, with a hunger so primal that he has been reduced to eating seagulls.

I totally agree with banning the sale of elephant ivory, however I don't understand why fossil ivory is included in the ban. Doesn't make sense to me. Below an excellent article in National Geographic on fossil ivory hunters. An unbelievably difficult and nasty job.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/04/125-mammoth-tusks/larmer-text

One last chance. That’s all the Siberian hunter wants. For five months Karl Gorokhov has tracked his ancient prey across a desolate island in the East Siberian Sea, slogging 18 hours a day over the icy tundra. He is cold and exhausted, with a hunger so primal that he has been reduced to eating seagulls.

Fossils do not fall under the ban since it is not controlled by the fish and wildlife department. Mammoth is not fossilized. if they find fossilized elephant tusk, it is fine

Fossils do not fall under the ban since it is not controlled by the fish and wildlife department. Mammoth is not fossilized. if they find fossilized elephant tusk, it is fine

Neither "fossil" walrus nor "fossil" mammoth ivories are true fossils. Rather, they are mineralized. It seems ridiculous that the ban includes fossil mammoth but excludes fossil walrus. Apparently this total ban is in effect because the Feds cannot distinguish "fossil" ivories from elephant ivory. I've worked with all of these ivories for over 40 years. Anyone with a brain and a pair of eyes can tell the difference. It's just a case of throwing out the baby with the bathwater and lazy bureaucrats not taking the time to learn and do their jobs effectively. I feel sorry for the bow makers.

Oh good.....I guess this means they've fixed all the important problems in California.

This is from the Boone Trading Co web site, which BTW is an excellent source for fossil ivories. (They may have not updated it to include the California or NY ban.) I have seen the same charts that custom agents use to distinguish different types of ivory and it's not that hard. What's next? Banning faux ivory, which has all the same color and grain lines as the real thing. Again, it's lazy bureaucrats that don't want to take the time to learn how to tell them apart.

* Mammoth or Mastodon Different animals, different looking tusks, the cut ivory can look nearly the same. Commerce in this 10,000-40,000 year old ivory is completely unrestricted. A great deal of this ivory in cut form looks practically identical to elephant ivory (except for the outer layer where all the color and weathering is). Our friends at U.S. Fish & Wildlife Forensics Laboratory have discovered a reliable indicator for differentiating between prehistoric mammoth and modern elephant ivory. Color is no indication; it is the angle that the cross grain lines bisect themselves. Angles of less than 90% indicate that it's mammoth/mastodon, angles greater than 120% show that it's elephant. This information is now being shared with customs and wildlife agents around the world so that mammoth ivory will clear customs inspections and not be subject to seizures or delays.

My only question is why does it cost $30 to export a fossilized walrus boner?

"Shipping ivory or oosik (fossil walrus penal bone) out of the U. S. requires a $30 permit."

California is PC when it comes to this kind of thing. You can't even sell, or farm for sale frogs here in CA. Only place in the world. But you can give them away. There was a restaurant here in the SF Bay Area giving away their frog leg dinners a couple months ago. And you can get six months in jail for using the abalone shell you legally collected with a fishing license if you use it in an item you sell. Well that is if you collected that abalone north of Point Conception. If you collected that abalone south of Point Conception no worries. And if you found that shell on the beach (doesn't matter where) you can do whatever you want with it. It's a system running wild and enforced to control the lowest common denominator. The fossil walrus exception I understand is to allow native peoples in Alaska to continue make their artworks and sell them. Screw the native peoples in Siberia I guess is the states attitude. They are Ruskies anyway.

Last edited:
i believe there were mammoths in the states 12k years ago or thereabouts. their extinction here coincided with the migration of humans from asia.
it seems like a stupid thing to ban. that's half of what those people do though, figure out ways of doing unnecessary things. be thankful they didn't do something worse and more intrusive to daily life.

just sell an instrument, with a free mammoth ivory inlay

10% of the sale of all of my ukes that contain mammoth ivory go directly to Save the Mammoth Foundation.

Wooly Mammoth being one animal that will likely be brought back from extinction through cloning in the coming decades (several labs are working on just that and are close) we will keep you generous contributions in escrow.

Woolly Mammoth Clones Closer Than Ever, Thanks to Genome Sequencing
by Tia Ghose, Senior Writer | July 02, 2015 12:00pm ET

Scientists are one step closer to bringing a woolly mammoth back to life.

A new analysis of the woolly mammoth genome has revealed several adaptations that allowed the furry beasts to thrive in the subzero temperatures of the last ice age, including a metabolism that allowed them to pack on insulating fat, smaller ears that lost less heat and a reduced sensitivity to cold.

The findings could enable researchers to "resurrect" the ice-age icon — or at least a hybridized Asian elephant with a few of the physical traits of its woolly-haired cousin, said study co-author Vincent Lynch, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Chicago.

"It won't be that long till we're technically able to do it, but whether we should is a different question," Lynch told Live Science, referring to cloning a mammoth. "I don't think we should." [6 Extinct Animals That Could Be Brought Back to Life]

Cold-adapted creature

The mammoth DNA was extracted from the hair of two mammoths found in Siberia several years ago. One mammoth died about 20,000 years ago, and the other died 60,000 years ago. (The shaggy beasts flourished on the ice-age tundra, but most of them died after the glaciers melted, by about 10,000 years ago. A few holdouts survived on Wrangel Island off Siberia until about 3,700 years ago.)

Because mammoths and Asian elephants shared a common ancestor roughly 5 million years ago — a blip, in evolutionary time — the team was able to compare the genome of the ice-age beasts with their modern-day cousins, the Asian elephants. [How to Bring the Woolly Mammoth Back (Infographic)]

"They're really closely related," Lynch told Live Science.

They found that several unique mammoth genes helped the cold-loving creatures survive. These included genes for their shaggy, curly, heat-trapping fur, as well as for their small ears and short tails, which lose less heat than the big ears and tails that keep elephants cool.

The pudgy ice-age pachyderms also had genetic differences from the Asian elephant in the way they stored fat and processed insulin, the hormone that regulates how the body uses blood sugar for energy, according to the study, which was published today (July 2) in the journal Cell Reports. Because fat is insulating, the animals' chubby physiques helped them weather the Arctic tundra, which could routinely plunge to minus 58 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 50 degrees Celsius), according to the study.

Mammoths and elephants also had different temperature-sensing receptors in the body. In the mammoth, the receptors were essentially turned down, like a dimmer switch. That likely made the shaggy creatures less sensitive to both heat and cold, Lynch said.

Bringing mammoths back

The new findings bring the world closer to a cloned mammoth, but don't expect a genetically authentic version of the beast to come roaring back to life anytime soon.

Instead, researchers will first try to create a cold-resistant hybrid between an Asian elephant and a woolly mammoth, said George Church, a geneticist at Harvard University who is not involved in the current study.

Sequencing the genome is not the hardest part of the process; assembling a whole genome from scratch that actually functions like natural genetic material is more difficult, said Church, who is working on a project to bring the extinct creatures back to life.

Instead of trying to create a 100-percent authentic mammoth, Church's team is using a genetic cut-and-paste tool called CRISPR to splice a handful of mammoth genes into Asian elephant cells.

"We thought we'd just make the changes that are most likely to lead to an animal that looks, behaves and is adaptable to the cold like a mammoth," Church told Live Science.

Modifying Asian elephants with mammoth genes could help the modern-day subtropical creatures live in colder locales, "possibly extending the geographical range of an existing endangered species northward to areas at much lower risk of conflict with humans," Church said.

The next genetic trick will be to splice mammoth or elephant (or tortoise) DNA into something, oh maybe a bacterial culture or mutant chickens or whatever, that will then produce a desired substance like pachyderm tusks (or tortoise shells). Put the GMOs to work for us!

i'm holding out for a genetically resurrected pet, maybe a t/rex i could name cuddles.

i'm holding out for a genetically resurrected pet, maybe a t/rex i could name cuddles.
More than a few jurisdictions now ban pit bulls. I expect T.Rex might not make it onto the 'approved' list in many places. Likely be even less welcome than pet pigs or ferrets. [This from a guy who used to walk the streets with an 8-foot Columbian Rosy Boa wrapped around his neck. Noah the Boa. Never had pest problems when Noah was in the house.]

Say, Chuck, isn't the Save the Mammoth Foundstion located in Pahoa, on the Big Island?

Well of course it is. Please feel free to contribute to this worthy and important cause. I promise it'll make you feel good knowing that all your monies will go toward me thinking real hard about the problem. It's a win/win for both of us. Thank you, I need your money. PS, please send cash only.

My only question is why does it cost $30 to export a fossilized walrus boner?

"Shipping ivory or oosik (fossil walrus penal bone) out of the U. S. requires a $30 permit."

Oosik?? Someone actually felt the need to come up with a word for fossil walrus penal bone? That guy really needs a new hobby

Top Bottom