Playing the Ukulele While Jogging

SonSprinter

Reaction score
Man, I have got to get more, ... some ... exercise. But I just hate it. But, I think jogging/walking would be more tolerable if I would play my ukulele. Granted, I would not be able to play and run really hard. But a brisk walk or may be even a very slow jog. But, man, would I look weird. Anyone else consider this?

Maybe you could develop a vaudeville type routine to dance while playing your uke. I can think of a number of cool moves that would give you some decent "exercise." Check out Vanessa Ding's routine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=19&v=rdvwNQjpa-A

Last edited:
Good God Man! I can't even hold my soprano when I'm sitting down. I could never manage it while walking. You must be one of those who do not come from a long line of clumsy people as I do.

I walk 3-6 miles a day. Sometimes, when I am working on a song or just in the mood, I sling my travel tenor over my shoulder and take it with me. When I hit a nice stopping point, I stop and play for a while. Never had a bad reaction from passersby - in fact, had plenty of good ones.

You could use an Exercycle or treadmill. One can learn to use them without holding on. Phil's idea of dancing while playing is also a great idea. How about sit-ups or crunches?

Where there's a will, there's a way! :eek:ld:

My exercise of choice is riding a kick scooter. I have 200mm wheeled scooters and one 20" wheel version. Kick scooting works well for leg and back muscles, but it also helps with balance and builds up wrist, forearm, and hand strength.

I use the ukulele as a carrot. Sometimes I can be seen carrying a ukulele on my back and playing at pretty stopping points along the way.

I was using a soprano backpack strap Luna brand foam case (in case I fall). But, I moved into the tenor world with the Outdoor Ukulele bottle brown. I got a thicker gig bag for my OU tenor (Fusion F4) because I am cheap and it was a good deal on eBay. No falls yet, and it is the bright orange/black version so I have visibility for others to see me, too.

Last edited:
Can play a little on my Unicycle.....tis a bit too.....lol

Can play a little on my Unicycle.....tis a bit too.....lol
My brother-in-law juggles while riding his unicycle and he's not even a clown -- not that way, anyway. He grew up in the Panama Canal Zone and that was his preferred childhood method of getting around. Go figure.

But I had not thought to stroll about playing guitar, banjo, mandolin, or 'uke. I *do* always carry a few harmonicas and fipple flutes. You might hear me playing chromatic harp or ocarina or tin whistle as I power-walk (my old knees won't stand jogging). But 'uke... ??

I also cycle on my semi-recumbent BikeE which is NOT something to be done hands-free. (It immediately crashes.) Any strumming must await rest stops. No, I just do not see 'uke or any other stringed instrument (except maybe a hurdy-gurdy) as part of an exercise routine. Kalimba, maybe...

You guys need to be careful you don't fall over and break something (yr ukes, maybe!).

On another forum I used to frequent there was once a thread about playing tin whistle while driving. SMH. :eek:

No, I wouldn't even remotely consider playing the uke while walking or jogging. As much as I like playing the uke, I do allow myself to put it down to carry on with other things in life even if a distraction of some kind would be welcome. Unlike others I've read about, I don't play the uke while pooping, sitting in a waiting room, while on a bus or a plane or in my car while waiting for traffic lights. I'd suggest an I-pod with your favorite music or pod-casts on it.

Man, I have got to get more, ... some ... exercise. But I just hate it. But, I think jogging/walking would be more tolerable if I would play my ukulele. Granted, I would not be able to play and run really hard. But a brisk walk or may be even a very slow jog. But, man, would I look weird. Anyone else consider this?
Nope. I go out running several times a week, and I've never considered playing my uke while I'm running. I do however, take my uke with me on long bicycle rides, like all afternoon rides, but I stop along the way to play, never while I'm riding. I usually take a bottle of wine along too, so that I can drink wine while I'm stopped as well. I also bring along my wife. She's a good singer.

No, I wouldn't even remotely consider playing the uke while walking or jogging. As much as I like playing the uke, I do allow myself to put it down to carry on with other things in life even if a distraction of some kind would be welcome. Unlike others I've read about, I don't play the uke while pooping, sitting in a waiting room, while on a bus or a plane or in my car while waiting for traffic lights. I'd suggest an I-pod with your favorite music or pod-casts on it.
Good one. I'm am with you on that note. I don't try to play mine while I'm mowing the lawn either. :rolleyes:

Playing uke while jogging sound like a recipe for disaster to me, once my knees give out, it's sad-face crush-city bye-bye ukulele!

My preference would be to put some music in my ears of some great, inspiring uke players and then pace myself to the music. James, Jake, Kalei, Corey, Daniel Ho, all have music in a variety of tempos, so you can get a nice arc going.

Otherwise, if I had an elliptical machine, I 'might' try that at home with a uke in hand, whereby I could toss the uke onto a couch or something if I am going to face-plant from ambulatory failure.

I've struggled with this in the past and came up with a pretty effective solution.

I just stopped exercising altogether! Instead, I sit on the couch at night and play while I sing songs about exercising!

Problem solved.

Scooter

Wow! As crazy as it sounds, it actually works! After seeing this thread, I decided to try it. I kicked off my flip flops, considering them dangerous to run in, and jogged around the house while playing one of my concert Ukes. I couldn't believe it. Both the jogging and the playing were stimulated by the activity. I actually wanted to keep running and playing. There was some sort of weird symbiotic or synergistic thing going on. The only thing I can relate it to is the urge I feel to walk away when I play the Bagpipe. And, I always thought that stemmed from a visceral desire to get away from it!

Wildlife will return to these parched mountains after the first autumn rains. The neighborhood puma and bear will be back. We are cautious about strolling off the beaten track. But music: AHA! Not 'ukulele -- concertina. I am bloody awful on concertina. I can play the concertina (terribly) whilst walking in the predator-haunted woods. That should drive them away. Safety in discord.

I don't think you would look weird. I think it might just be the same thing to keep you motivated. I'm the same way. I know I need exercise but I hate being sweaty and tired. You and I might be able to keep each other motivated by playing ukes. Think about it like this, "It's not a workout, Just another reason to bring my uke and play."

Top Bottom