Percussive sound to the uke

When people ask me about 'the ukulele world' the first two names that I mention are Jake S. and James Hill. Who else?

That's awesome! I want to learn to play that well. I really want to learn Crazy G though. I hope I don't come down with the Shimabukuro syndrome.

Last edited:
I'm wondering Just how does he do it? I know how he does the clicking sound but how about the bass.

Seemingly, he does it with magic and/or slight-of-hand. LOL

But seriously...

Like Jake Shimabukuro, James Hill has been playing ukulele since a wee lad in grade school and lives and breathes ukulele, so it's no surprise that his playing skills are at a whole 'nuther level.

Part of the public school system in Canada has had the J. Chalmers Doane ukulele curriculum as standard for ALL students for over 20 yrs now. James has also given back to the program and helped to refine it. He also has a set of books called 'Ukulele In The Classroom' which is a guide for teachers anywhere to implement this program for students.

Also, his teaching web site, theukuleleway.com, is a place where he brings his gifts as a teacher for the whole world to learn from him. The first six lessons are free. Fellow UU brother Brad Bordessa is the admin for this site. It's a great resource.

James Hill is one of many reasons why I took up the ukulele in the first place. :)

Wow! You sure know a lot about uke players. Thanks. I heard my friend Erion play his and he introduced me to shimabukuro and how he plays Crazy G. That's what actually got me started.

Wow! You sure know a lot about uke players. Thanks. I heard my friend Erion play his and he introduced me to shimabukuro and how he plays Crazy G. That's what actually got me started.

Thanks Cassie. But I am not special or exclusive with this knowledge, just a little bit farther down the path from where you are.

We all seem to follow this yellow-brick road. :)

When I started, all of the information was new to me, and I discovered that many, if not most folks here on UU share this knowledge or, if not, they have overlapping and complimentary information, such that as a group, we all learn more by sharing it here in the forum. UU has members from all over the world.

There is a very special 'TED Talk' (on Youtube) where Jake plays the Queen song 'Bohemian Rhapsody', that with some James Hill videos (including the one you linked in your first post), and also those of the late, great John King on his Nalu Music youtube channel are really what got me started with the ukulele almost 3 yrs ago now.

That's Awesome! I love the way shimabukuro plays Crazy G. If you've read my post on uke addiction, You know if your addicted to the uke if you say ah shimabukuro instead of the other word. If you like, I can find more of these and post them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom