Got my new Pono MTDX today

FinnP

Reaction score
Got my new Pono MTDX today and I love it :cool: I was a little bit surprised to see that it came with an ebony bridge, but that's OK I guess.
I don't like the stock strings with the wound C string. I have two tenor sets laying around. A set Worth CT and a set Aquila U13 with a red C string. Any suggestions which will match the Pono best?
Thanks

View attachment 83781View attachment 83782View attachment 83780

I just took the wound low G set off my Pono MT to try something else. I went with the GHS Artist Curated "Sarah Maisel" strings. It's a low G set with unwound G. Waiting for them to settle in but so far I'm liking what I hear. Warmish, mellow tone.

I have Ko'olau Alohi's on my MCD and they sound full and well balanced. I would imagine quite a few string sets would sound good. I plan on trying Fremont Blacklines next on my concert.

Thanks for the input, but I have another problem now :(
I checked the intonation , and the intonation was 10-15 cent flat on the 12th fret on the A string. The G string was a little less flat but still noticeable.
Same result when I tried to change the two strings with Worth strings. Misplaced bridge position, and bad quality control I guess...
This one going back..Arrgh..never buy before you try, but it's my only option since I live in Denmark.

Last edited:
Arrgh..never buy before you try, but it's my only option since I live in Denmark.

You could see what Guido of ukuMele.de has in stock. Most of what he offers is in around the same price range. He's in Berlin, but I'm almost certain he'd ship to Denmark also. Besides being a really nice and helpful guy, he manually sets up every of his ukes. Two of mine were bought from him, and they have both had perfect intonation, great action, and the strings stay in tune forever. In the "under €350" price segment, he'd always be my choice in continental Europe. (I see he doesn't carry many tenors currently, though.)

I bought it in southern ukulele store in UK. The last uke I bought there was an Ohana TK35G, which had a perfect setup and intonation.
The Pono cost twice as much. I find it hard to justify this after I tried the Pono, although the Pono sounds very good.
I'm particular about intonation, but it riles me all the trouble a return, shipping etc. will cause.

The saddle/action is allready on the low side and since the string rest on the front of the saddle I can't shorten the string lenght (move it forward), I can't see how this is possible to fix this without routing a new saddle slot?
I could live with minor intonation errors, but this is clearly audible from around the 7th fret and IMO not a DIY job on a brand new uke.

The saddle/action is allready on the low side and since the string rest on the front of the saddle I can't shorten the string lenght (move it forward), I can't see how this is possible to fix this without routing a new saddle slot?
I could live with minor intonation errors, but this is clearly audible from around the 7th fret and IMO not a DIY job on a brand new uke.

It's a tenor? then it's got a rod in the neck. You can stick the allen wrench in the sound hole and change the action to whatever you really want. If you induce more bow, it shortens the string length a little, and also when you fret, you'll be streatching the string slightly more, which will slightly sharp it. It might be what you need if strings don't work it out for you.

You can also grind the saddle slightly so that the ridge is toward the nut, /| instead of ||, but I'd only suggest that if you can't do a painless return. It shouldn't be off. Pono necks are pretty precise, at least mine is.

Last edited:
Hi Finn. If this issue can't be taken care of without extra cost to you, then ship it to us. We will refund you any shipping cost to us and send you the same model without any issues. Email me at andrew@theukulelesite.com for help. Mahalo for your patience in getting this resolved.

Hi Finn. If this issue can't be taken care of without extra cost to you, then ship it to us. We will refund you any shipping cost to us and send you the same model without any issues. Email me at andrew@theukulelesite.com for help. Mahalo for your patience in getting this resolved.

Kudos to Andrew @ HMS.
This is twice that I have seen Andrew respond to a Pono issue within the same day of the OP and help to resolve the issue without the customer incurring any financial responsibility.
Top notch CS.

A proud Pono owner =)

Mahalo! Just be clear, I know this ukulele didn’t go through our QC personally and was bought through another store. But Pono is my family's company, so whether it’s on the forum or just a personal email to me, I will make sure you are taken care of with any seemingly legitimate issue like this no matter what vendor you buy through because we stand behind these instruments and sometimes things do come up. Main thing is that you are happy in the end. That's the goal and something we strive for.

Thanks Andrew
Good service. I really like the sound of this model, but it's hard to love a uke with intonation issues.
I'll contact Southern Ukulele Shop monday and have talk with them and get back to you.

Mahalo! Just be clear, I know this ukulele didn’t go through our QC personally and was bought through another store. But Pono is my family's company, so whether it’s on the forum or just a personal email to me, I will make sure you are taken care of with any seemingly legitimate issue like this no matter what vendor you buy through because we stand behind these instruments and sometimes things do come up. Main thing is that you are happy in the end. That's the goal and something we strive for.

Guess it's time for me to buy another Pono. Many many reasons why they are so well respected, sound, build quality, wood selection choces and the best service in the industry. We all appreciate everything you do Andrew, thank you.

I'm in dialog with the kind and helpful people at Southern Uke Shop now. I'm sure we find a solution to the problem.

Who is able to hear 10% flat at the 12th fret ?? Only the electronic tuner does.
Less than 25% is acceptable, isn't it ?

Who is able to hear 10% flat at the 12th fret ?? Only the electronic tuner does.
Less than 25% is acceptable, isn't it ?

To me, it wouldn't be acceptable if I just paid the full price for an instrument. Blemishes and cosmetic flaws I can deal with (mostly because they are nearly inevitable anyway if a ukulele is used), intonation issues I would have difficulties with even if I couldn't consciously hear them without a tuner. I mean, it is an instrument, after all.

Top Bottom