Did the gig with the Carvin amp.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
Today was the Los Angeles International Ukulele Festival gig where I used my new Carvin MB15 amp. It was great. I also used my Phil Jones Double Four as a monitor from the headphone jack of the Carvin. I actually had to turn them down because they were plenty loud. Having everything ready in a cart really helped, got on and off stage in seconds.

The only problem was the custom cable I had made for my Sony DX-B30 wireless system started shorting out, but I have a second cable that I'll have to find.

Last edited:
okay, that jack is tuner/phones combined. I guess sort of like line out.

Interesting the carvin doesn't use a speakon connector. The way its set up (the phone/tuner out and ext speaker are both 1/4" and right next to each other) one could easily and accidentally plug something into the ext speaker jack. That could fry your phil jones.

micro_panel.jpg

Last edited:
I was very careful not to use the ext. jack with all the talk about ohm combinations, glad the headphone out worked. I did send an email to Carvin and to Phil Jones asking which would be the correct outlet to use, but neither answered.

I found the other custom cable and because it has two L connectors rather one, there's no stress on the cable, so it shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Glad the Carvin worked for you.

I'm just curious; was there a reason that you used the Double Four as a powered monitor for yourself, over just the Carvin?

Glad the Carvin worked for you. I'm just curious; was there a reason that you used the Double Four as a powered monitor for yourself, over just the Carvin?

Yes, I decided to be able to get on and off the stage quickly, I would use my old lady shopping cart in which I transport my equipment, to hold the amp, music and bass while performing. I stand behind it when I play, so I used the D4 as a monitor facing me. It worked great; I loaded up the cart, rolled it to the plaza near the stage, setup the cart for the performance, then shortly before, I rolled the cart into position and plugged in the a/c. When we finished, the next act immediately came on stage so I just unplugged the a/c and rolled the cart away, then put away all the equipment on the other side of the plaza out of the way. (I need to take better photos.)

Cart.jpg

Last edited:
Nice setup very well thought out.

Top Bottom