PDA

View Full Version : Did the gig with the Carvin amp.

kohanmike
09-26-2015, 12:21 PM
Today was the Los Angeles International Ukulele Festival gig where I used my new Carvin MB15 amp. It was great. I also used my Phil Jones Double Four as a monitor from the headphone jack of the Carvin. I actually had to turn them down because they were plenty loud. Having everything ready in a cart really helped, got on and off stage in seconds.

The only problem was the custom cable I had made for my Sony DX-B30 wireless system started shorting out, but I have a second cable that I'll have to find.

bnolsen
09-26-2015, 02:32 PM
okay, that jack is tuner/phones combined. I guess sort of like line out.

Interesting the carvin doesn't use a speakon connector. The way its set up (the phone/tuner out and ext speaker are both 1/4" and right next to each other) one could easily and accidentally plug something into the ext speaker jack. That could fry your phil jones.

kohanmike
09-26-2015, 08:10 PM
I was very careful not to use the ext. jack with all the talk about ohm combinations, glad the headphone out worked. I did send an email to Carvin and to Phil Jones asking which would be the correct outlet to use, but neither answered.

I found the other custom cable and because it has two L connectors rather one, there's no stress on the cable, so it shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Jon Moody
09-28-2015, 08:29 AM
Glad the Carvin worked for you.

I'm just curious; was there a reason that you used the Double Four as a powered monitor for yourself, over just the Carvin?

kohanmike
09-28-2015, 08:36 PM
Glad the Carvin worked for you. I'm just curious; was there a reason that you used the Double Four as a powered monitor for yourself, over just the Carvin?

Yes, I decided to be able to get on and off the stage quickly, I would use my old lady shopping cart in which I transport my equipment, to hold the amp, music and bass while performing. I stand behind it when I play, so I used the D4 as a monitor facing me. It worked great; I loaded up the cart, rolled it to the plaza near the stage, setup the cart for the performance, then shortly before, I rolled the cart into position and plugged in the a/c. When we finished, the next act immediately came on stage so I just unplugged the a/c and rolled the cart away, then put away all the equipment on the other side of the plaza out of the way. (I need to take better photos.)

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Cart.jpg

Inksplosive AL
09-29-2015, 01:00 AM
Nice setup very well thought out.

kohanmike
09-29-2015, 07:18 AM
Nice setup very well thought out.

Thanks Al. I've been told I'm a "problem solver", though after 20 years of developing FileMaker databases, I've realized I'm actually an old fashioned "efficiency expert" who uses new technology.