Programs or apps to create Ukulele tabs?

Mivo

Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations for programs (Windows/Mac) or apps (iOS) for painlessly creating, printing, and exporting (PDF, image formats) ukulele tabs. If they additionally support staves, that would be a plus.

There is quite a few guitar-focused software around that also work for the ukulele, too, so those would be just fine too.

Guitar Pro series ...currently I use 6.

Creates GPX files which are printable.

As you create the tab it writes the stave.

I have discovered that it exports to PDF !! I thought that

you had to suscribe to Acrobat for that ...So big Plus for that .

https://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php?pg=download

There is a trial version available but it is limited in function . Still ,worth having a look at I feel.

I'm using Tabular for iOS which does a great job and is easy to use.
I'm currently experimenting with MuseScore for Mac. So far I like both programs. There are differences in the user interface, specifically how you enter notation. Both get you to the same place. MuseScore is free so it's worth checking out.
There are youtube vids for both programs so you can get an idea of how they work.

edit to add:
CeeJay's post above reminded me that I also wanted to check out GP6. I just cruised their website and am very impressed. Looks like I'm going to have to give the free trial a go...

Last edited:
Tabledit http://www.tabledit.com/ will create tabs and staves for ukulele (and many other instruments). I've only got the "demo" version, so I don't know if the full version will export PDF. I used it for a while to import ABC files and show tabs ... but then I learned to read "ordinary" notation for the ukulele so didn't really need it any more.

I offer this purely for information. I haven't used it enough to be able to recommend it (or otherwise).

Good luck :)

Guitar Pro 6 is what I have been using for years. I started with GP4 and have done the upgrades.
You can create a template with ukulele tuning, I have ones for hi & lo g ( c tuning) and hi & lo d(g tuning).

I'm another Guitar Pro 6 user. I write all my tabs using this software and find it to be very good. Features include the ability to import various other formats like Tabledit & Power Tab & export Wav, Midi & PDF.
Tabs with audio are absolutely brilliant, you can learn by listening rather than relying on your ability to interpret the standard notation for note values. The process of learning new tunes becomes much quicker & easier. One feature I really like is the ability to have 3 or 4 pages displayed on screen in a vertical layout, this means no more page turning, the music is all there in front of you.

Last edited:
I use Tux Guitar its free and has the playback features and sounds.

You can select the number of strings you want and the type of instrument. It doesn't have "ukulele"option but you can make a 4 string nylon string guitar by selecting A4,E4,C4 and G4 (or G3 for low G).

Top Bottom