i need to let my nails grow

lacerveza

Reaction score
when ive seen pros like jake and aldrine i've noticed that they have long nails on the thumb and pointer,BUT i bite my nails.apart from putting rat poison on my fingers, you know the rest

Someone told me I needed long nails to play guitar and uke once. Now I have a box of 20d's I don't know what to do with.

sorry for sounding sarcastic

uhhhhhh, don't bite your nails???

Just make sure to not let them grow out too long. The tone is a lot more balanced if they're short. Nails just make tremolos and playing easier. t compensate length for tone is the challenge. See if you can find your comfort zone.

I used to bite my nails too... but ever since I started playing the ukulele I grew my nails... I grew my thumb nail out but now I just need my pointer nail to grow out.

Cut them REALLY short and learn to use the pads of your fingers. Works fine for me. Nails are a liability.

Just make sure to not let them grow out too long. The tone is a lot more balanced if they're short. Nails just make tremolos and playing easier. t compensate length for tone is the challenge. See if you can find your comfort zone.

Alrdrine, you should make a video fingernail seminar or something, even if only to say "IT'S NOT THAT COMPLICATED FOR CRYING IN A BUCKET!!!"

My strings keep wearing my fingernails down painfully far and I wonder if it's because I have weak nails or because I'm strumming too hard?

And I would love some pointers on learning to tremolo with your fingers... I haven't found a technique that feels like it would work even after practicing for a while.

Anyway... put clear nail polish or superglue on your nails... People have told me to do that to help protect them from breaking while playing, *and* they'll help you keep from biting your nails.

One big thing I like about the uke is that it's low-maintenance and doesn't demand a lot of hoo-hah. Just grab it and play. No pick needed. No spit-valve to fool with. No strap needed. No belt hook needed. No amp needed. And no freaky-lookin' fingernails needed. :p

Which isn't to say that long fingernails wouldn't be useful. But personally, I want to keep my uking uncomplicated. That's kind of the whole point for me.

Plus, ever since I saw Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Doubt"... *shudder*

JJ

Liability? No. Absolutely not.

Having a bit of nail behind your strumming and picking gives a lot more ooomph to the strings and lets them ring loud and clear. It's about volume and clarity. There's also another aspect of speed and precision in terms of picking individual notes that can be done with a nail that is less easily done otherwise.

And has been said many times before, you really do not need to have super long vampire nails. Just enough nail beyond the quick to get over the top of the pads. Just enough to catch the string. It really doesn't take much.
A little care and a little filing and some nail strengthener now and again (which helps with the nailbiting on the ones you're trying to grow.) and you're all set to play and take care of any itch you encounter.

Cut them REALLY short and learn to use the pads of your fingers. Works fine for me. Nails are a liability.

I agree with Ian, but it may come down to style of playing more than what is better.I find that a longer nail will sometimes snag a string when I don't want it to.

i just use fake nails now. the trick is learning how to put them on without getting any bubbles underneath (causes nail fungus), and when they start coming off, to have the patience to soak them in acetone, so they dont take layers of your actual nail along with it.

oh yeah and then theres the funny looks that question your masculinity. just make a "playing guitar" mimic and theyll give you the MENTOS "ah hah!" with a smile.

my nails also get worn away. not so much with the ukulele as with the electric guitar. and i still have trouble working with a pick. so my compromise has been to just coat my fingernails with the pick... fake nails.

as far as length goes, you kinda just gotta find that happy medium between your playing style, tone of your instrument, and how quickly you can wear them away. but i like to have them peeking out just past the pads of my fingertips.

Long nails come in handy for picking your nose too. ;)

Tip: If your nail gets caught, trim the section that's getting caught a little. Voilà! Awesome playability!

Top Bottom