PDA

View Full Version : i need to let my nails grow

lacerveza
03-18-2009, 04:45 PM
when ive seen pros like jake and aldrine i've noticed that they have long nails on the thumb and pointer,BUT i bite my nails.apart from putting rat poison on my fingers, you know the rest

Guting
03-18-2009, 04:47 PM
does lanikai have a website?

cpatch
03-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Someone told me I needed long nails to play guitar and uke once. Now I have a box of 20d's I don't know what to do with.

MisoHappy
03-18-2009, 05:56 PM
uhhhhhh, don't bite your nails???

lacerveza
03-18-2009, 06:31 PM
i thought of that one miso,but thank you anyway.
god bless

lacerveza
03-18-2009, 06:35 PM
does lanikai have a website?

lanikai does have a website but unfortunately i think its a gainst the rule to post links but they are a hohner company so google hohner then look for ukes

Aldrine Guerrero
03-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Just make sure to not let them grow out too long. The tone is a lot more balanced if they're short. Nails just make tremolos and playing easier. t compensate length for tone is the challenge. See if you can find your comfort zone.

khrome
03-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Someone told me I needed long nails to play guitar and uke once. Now I have a box of 20d's I don't know what to do with.

lmao!!

get a nail gun and go wreak havoc

Guting
03-18-2009, 10:58 PM
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/78/l_9bf0553e9591e1b056ab9bd41972fe8c.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/119/l_0a0a165f707549859c03b917174bbce3.jpg

grappler
03-18-2009, 11:02 PM
OMG
thats long as!

hawaiianmusiclover06
03-19-2009, 12:05 AM
I used to bite my nails too... but ever since I started playing the ukulele I grew my nails... I grew my thumb nail out but now I just need my pointer nail to grow out.

ichadwick
03-19-2009, 01:26 AM
Cut them REALLY short and learn to use the pads of your fingers. Works fine for me. Nails are a liability.

beeejums
03-19-2009, 01:31 AM
Just make sure to not let them grow out too long. The tone is a lot more balanced if they're short. Nails just make tremolos and playing easier. t compensate length for tone is the challenge. See if you can find your comfort zone.

Alrdrine, you should make a video fingernail seminar or something, even if only to say "IT'S NOT THAT COMPLICATED FOR CRYING IN A BUCKET!!!"

My strings keep wearing my fingernails down painfully far and I wonder if it's because I have weak nails or because I'm strumming too hard?

And I would love some pointers on learning to tremolo with your fingers... I haven't found a technique that feels like it would work even after practicing for a while.

Anyway... put clear nail polish or superglue on your nails... People have told me to do that to help protect them from breaking while playing, *and* they'll help you keep from biting your nails.

Ukulele JJ
03-19-2009, 02:16 AM
One big thing I like about the uke is that it's low-maintenance and doesn't demand a lot of hoo-hah. Just grab it and play. No pick needed. No spit-valve to fool with. No strap needed. No belt hook (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapman_Stick) needed. No amp needed. And no freaky-lookin' fingernails needed. :p

Which isn't to say that long fingernails wouldn't be useful. But personally, I want to keep my uking uncomplicated. That's kind of the whole point for me.

Plus, ever since I saw Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Doubt"... *shudder*

JJ

UkeNinja
03-19-2009, 03:13 AM
pics
Dude, your hands are dead sexy. Grow those nails and slam some pink polish on there please!

Then play all that godly music :music:

Lanark
03-19-2009, 03:45 AM
Liability? No. Absolutely not.

Having a bit of nail behind your strumming and picking gives a lot more ooomph to the strings and lets them ring loud and clear. It's about volume and clarity. There's also another aspect of speed and precision in terms of picking individual notes that can be done with a nail that is less easily done otherwise.

And has been said many times before, you really do not need to have super long vampire nails. Just enough nail beyond the quick to get over the top of the pads. Just enough to catch the string. It really doesn't take much.
A little care and a little filing and some nail strengthener now and again (which helps with the nailbiting on the ones you're trying to grow.) and you're all set to play and take care of any itch you encounter.

hoosierhiver
03-19-2009, 04:10 AM
Cut them REALLY short and learn to use the pads of your fingers. Works fine for me. Nails are a liability.

I agree with Ian, but it may come down to style of playing more than what is better.I find that a longer nail will sometimes snag a string when I don't want it to.

NukeDOC
03-19-2009, 06:17 AM
i just use fake nails now. the trick is learning how to put them on without getting any bubbles underneath (causes nail fungus), and when they start coming off, to have the patience to soak them in acetone, so they dont take layers of your actual nail along with it.

oh yeah and then theres the funny looks that question your masculinity. just make a "playing guitar" mimic and theyll give you the MENTOS "ah hah!" with a smile.

my nails also get worn away. not so much with the ukulele as with the electric guitar. and i still have trouble working with a pick. so my compromise has been to just coat my fingernails with the pick... fake nails.

as far as length goes, you kinda just gotta find that happy medium between your playing style, tone of your instrument, and how quickly you can wear them away. but i like to have them peeking out just past the pads of my fingertips.

Ahnko Honu
03-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Long nails come in handy for picking your nose too. ;)

SuperSecretBETA
03-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Tip: If your nail gets caught, trim the section that's getting caught a little. Voilà! Awesome playability!

Rubbertoe
03-19-2009, 10:36 AM
I watched the last Uke Got Mail (ep 20) and Sukie was asking about getting cleaner sound. Aldrine suggested that growing you nails would help a little (since you start plucking the string with the pad of your finger and then finish with your nail for ooomph). I thought to myself, "interesting, i'll have to grow my nails longer and try it out" - they were not quite long but not short either at the time. Two days ago, I broke the nail on my middle finger. When I went to do a pluck-strum (plucking 3 or 4 strings for a chord at the same time instead of strumming it), I thought something weird happend because my C-string was soon loud that it drowned out the others. It turns out that without the nail on my middle finger, plucking was so muted that I could barely hear it compared to the other strings (being plucked with finger pan/nails). So from now on, I'm growing my nails just long enough to use my finger pads and the nails (so, about 3-4mm). And I like the way it makes strumming and chunking more pronounced as well. Sorry for the babble.

Oswegan
03-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Long nails come in handy for picking your nose too. ;)

Yeah, but you really have to be careful or you can get a bleeder.